Forums Latest Members
  1. robmac77 Dec 4, 2016

We have two Omega watches, a Constellation and a Seamaster. We are thinking of selling one and keeping the other. I am really nervous about opening these watches to get the information I need in order to describe them properly. I have attached photos of the dial sides and the backs. The Constellation has a box & certificate of high precision with Movement number. What I really want is the technical information without opening the watches! It would also be good to know which decade they are from. Any ideas on the condition? Would it be a bad idea to try and open the backs? I would like to be prepared before taking them to a dealer who sells on consignment.

DSCN0966.JPG DSCN0971.JPG DSCN0991.JPG DSCN0995.JPG DSCN0996.JPG DSCN0998.JPG
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 4, 2016

Take them to a watchmaker. He will open them, you can take the necessary photos and he can close them up. That's your safest and surest bet.

Vitezi and JohnSteed like this.
  3. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 4, 2016

Ye gods - Are both solid gold?
    What's the back story?
    The Connie looks like a 168.010 pie pan
    The papers will tell you case type and the serial number will help roughly date it if you post it
    The case is in startingly good condition
    Don't let anyone touch it!
    Does the Connie bracelet have an Omega clasp or marked Omega?
    It affects the value significantly
    Others can pitch in on the Seamaster if they care to

4. Edward53 Dec 4, 2016

The Constellation looks like a mid 60s semi-hidden crown version. It also looks exceptionally nice! The Seamaster looks 1950s, with a replacement crown. It also looks ok to me but I'm not as sure as I am about the Constellation. Edited to add: just seen PMG's post and spotted the hallmark on the Constellation bracelet. If the watch and bracelet are 18k gold then I think it's fair to say the Constellation's defo the one to keep! It's a blinder!!

Edited Dec 4, 2016
  5. robmac77 Dec 4, 2016

Thanks very much for the help! These have been in a box for over 30 years. The original owner passed away in the 1980s. The movement number for the Constellation is 24266522. The Constellation bracelet does have the Omega symbol. I have been told that the gold value of the Constellation would be about two thirds of the weight. It is very heavy. The Seamaster is significantly lighter and the clasp has 'plaque or L 20 microns and stainless steel and the number 8220'

6. Vicke Dec 4, 2016

If you have a watchmaker open them up, and if he/she is any good, you'll could also ask for an assessment of the movement and its condition. Service status would be good info to give a potential buyer, and a timegrapher measurement would tell to what extent it's keeping time.

Edited Dec 4, 2016
  7. Davidt Dec 4, 2016

The Seamaster looks like it might be a 166.010, although I'm not sure if this reference came with the coat hanger S

8. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 4, 2016

24,2xxx puts it at around 1966
    Is there no other info on the documents? (There should be)
    I'd bet my house its a 168.010 cal 564 given the '66 date
    There is a thread somewhere about guesstimating overall gold weight minus movement/crystal
    If you intend selling I wouldn't bother getting it serviced or even taking it to a watchmaker
    DONT try and open it yourself - gold is soft and you might scratch it
    Pics of the bracelet clasp would be good

9. Edward53 Dec 4, 2016

Why do you want to sell one and keep one? Is it for the money, or do you just want to only keep one watch? The Constellation is quite valuable, but that's the one to hold onto if possible. The more you research it, the more you'll realise how good it is and the more enjoyment you'll get from owning it. The Seamaster is ok, just so-so IMO and I have the same doubts as Davidt about the capital S.

10. robmac77 Dec 5, 2016

Thanks again for all the information. We are now able to make an educated decision. Both belonged to my partner's grandfather and he wants to keep one for sentimental reasons but he has already said that he will NEVER wear a watch. I will advise him to keep the Constellation. I have already joked that I will happily accept the Constellation in lieu of the wedding ring I never got! I will be the one who wears it and I think it could be something we could pass on to our daughter to connect her to her past. Just out of curiosity, are there any women on this forum and would any of you wear this watch?

11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 5, 2016

You are on dangerous ground there. We have a number of ladies who share our passion and I'm sure one of them would kill for that Connie (figuratively speaking of course).

And a dealer who sells on consignment takes a big chunk of your cash, so try to do a person to person sale.

Who knows, members here may even contact you.

12. robmac77 Dec 5, 2016

Here is a picture of the bracelet clasps.

DSCN1053.JPG
  13. robmac77 Dec 5, 2016

Have just thought that it might be worth selling only the bracelet to a dealer for the gold value and keeping the watch. Any thoughts on this idea?

14. kkt Dec 5, 2016

The bracelet looks like it came with the watch, so it adds more to the collectible value of the watch than its gold value. I'd keep them together, even if you put a leather band on it for regular wearing.

You probably already know this, but the watches will be in need of service and fresh lubrication if they've been sitting for years. Budget as much as $700 per watch. Don't run the watches for more than a few minutes to check function until they've been serviced, it would cause extra wear since oil they had is long since dried up. If you decide to service a watch and then sell it, make sure to keep the receipt that describes the work and post it along with the photos, blipping out your address, so that you can raise the asking price to reflect the work. Or sell them with the caveat "Service history unknown and recommended before wearing".

15. Edward53 Dec 5, 2016

Mrs. E. would wear that watch! And this isn't a "subtle" offer - we're absolutely not in the market for it, just pointing out that it is no longer de rigeur for women to wear a smaller watch. In fact most ladies's vintage dress watches are now pretty much worthless except for the gold content. The bracelet on your Constellation might be too large for a female wrist, but everyone's wrists were larger than in days gone by and so if your partner's GF was a smaller man, you could be lucky.

16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 5, 2016

Problem I am having here is that the pictures are not color corrected. I'm thinking that the Constellation is a original Deluxe model with a solid gold dial and not just a standard Constellation with an added Omega bracelet (this was always a dealer installed option). That makes it even more valuable.
    I would not recommend doing that, as the bracelet and watch together are far more valuable as a set than as gold scrap. Add in the original boxes and paperwork, and that adds even more value.

The question here is what is the motivation for your decision. If it is financial, then you would be best served selling the Constellation and keeping the Seamaster (which looks to be all original also). I'm sure you've received some offers already on a special watch like that. ;)

If money is not an object at this time, I would suggest keeping the Constellation, as it is a rare version to begin with and is likely to become more valuable in the future. The Seamaster, while a very nice Omega watch, will be limited in its upside potential over time, as it is not gold and not nearly as rare as the Constellation.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

17. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Dec 5, 2016

Agree completely with Gator. This looks like a 168.014 Deluxe to me. Interestingly the Seamaster looks like a Seamaster "Special" 2975, the first time the Seahorse medallion appeared on the case back and the first time a Beads of Rice bracelet was sold as an ensemble with the watch head. If it is a 2975, then it is collectible, because Gerald Genta put this ensemble together.

Cheers

Desmond

Davidt likes this.
  18. Jking something intelligent and witty... Dec 5, 2016

I've really got to start reading your blog!

19. wwhntr Dec 5, 2016

Desmond, respectfully, I think the 2975 housed only a cal 501, no date. I have owned about a dozen examples with only the solid gold eluding me due to availability, but mainly price! A larger 19mm medallion on the case back made some of this reference "special" (I have seen some later examples of same reference with the normal 14 mm medallion). Please correct me if I have some facts wrong!

There was a reference 2867 housing a cal 503, date, that had the large medallion. I have picture showing diameter...see below.
    image.jpeg

TNTwatch likes this.
  20. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 5, 2016

Think the Seamaster is a Ref. 14701. This one has the smaller Hippocampus on the back.

http://naligazone.com/index.php/data-watch/omega/caliber-5/cal-562/ck-14701

2nd generation rotor automatic, cal. 562. It would be more or less contemporary with the Constellation, a mid-1960's version.

Nice substantial watch.
    gatorcpa