Forums Latest Members
  1. christhomas Sep 7, 2015

Just came a across a rather nice looking Constellation on the Watches of Knightsbridge website.

However I can't find any other examples of this exact case reference or pictures of a similar internal case back. The appearance of the stars on the medallion also seems unusual as they are all the same size and particularly large.

The internal stamped marks look rather faint and unconvincing and the reference number in contrast looks almost too clear and deep.

Can anyone give me more information about it - I suspect that it is probably a non Swiss made case ?

Some of their photos are posted below

original.jpg original (1).jpg original (3).jpg original (2).jpg

2. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 7, 2015

Hi @christhomas

I too have been looking at this Connie (spookily I was just PM'ing a fellow member about it...)

the dial and case look good -but I had some concerns about the case back
    not so much the inside but the outside -there are definitely those who will know the hallmarks inside the case

there is something not quite right -the colour, finish and uneven edges -esp at 11 and 3 (as you look at it)
    it looks like the upper surface has been polished -possibly to get rid of an engraving?

BTW-if you look at Desmond's site -there are multiple variations of the medallion with Observatory and stars in different combinations -especially it seems for the gold cased watches

I'd be interested to know what others might think

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 7, 2015

Looks French, appears to be an eagles head hallmark on the lug, which would be correct for an 18K French case.

4. cristos71 Sep 7, 2015

I go French market too, that's no reference number but a French production case number.

Strange no Fab. Suisse on the dial?

5. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 7, 2015

any thoughts on the polished case back gents?

6. christhomas Sep 7, 2015

7. cristos71 Sep 7, 2015

Depends where you live and which reference. In France I wouldn't think it makes much of a difference at all, but in The States I guess it would.

With this reference I think there would make something of a 10-20% discount all things being equal as a Swiss cased version is not difficult to find and the OP's watch has a normal "Swiss Made" dial.

I have a small sub collection of Fab. Suisse French production watches. I actively seek them out, but then from the 1940's and 1950's and they must have the "Fab.Suisse" or "Importe de Suisse" on the dial which for me gives them a certain....je nais se quois that I find charming.

The gold cases are French production and as far as I'm aware the steel cases are Swiss production. All to do with the taxation on import of luxury goods back in the days.

021.JPG
    2015-02-04 chronometre 2 contrast.jpg
    _4150570.JPG

Eagles head hallmark on the outside of the case back

012 edit.JPG

014 edit.JPG

The case numbers differ by 174 units between the production of these two 18KT RG 352 chronometre cases

flame, christhomas and tomvox1 like this.
  8. christhomas Sep 8, 2015

I love the two in the wrist photo - what would be the year and name/description of that model ?

9. christhomas Sep 8, 2015

You say that that is a French case number rather than a reference number - but surely there must be some connection between that number beginning in 168 and the Swiss made 168-*** references ?

10. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Sep 8, 2015

It is indeed a French case number, distinguishing a Swiss made 168.005 with the 3. English cased versions were of the same watch were styled 168.5005, Argentine versions were 168.6005, and Brazilian versions also had a prefix number, which I can't recall off the top of my head. The watch in question is quite nice, a bit of white dial spot, nice sharp chamfers on the lugs, a couple of small scratches on the lugs and a plated crown a little different in colour to the case.

11. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Sep 8, 2015

Edited Sep 8, 2015
  12. christhomas Sep 8, 2015

Thanks for your reply - very informative. I had a feeling that there must be specific significance in that extra digit. Does the "beefiness" of the lugs throw up any warning for you as suggested by BartH or is there some variation in the exact dimensions and proportions of the lugs between Swiss made cases and these foreign made versions ? Do you feel that the case and dial are an original pairing ? Is there a cut off year after which the "Fab Suisse" marking on the dial no longer appears?

13. cristos71 Sep 8, 2015

My mistake, I assumed just a case run number as my cases are and not a reference number

14. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Sep 8, 2015

Ive seen the equivalent of a 14381 with Fab Suisse, and I think the 168.005 iteration was probably one of the first. After Nixon killed off the Bretton Wood gold linkages and support of the dollar, all gold cases came from Switzerland.

15. cristos71 Sep 8, 2015

These are about 1950, and they are kind of like a 2520, which AFAIR were Seamaster signed chronometres