Forums Latest Members
  1. shetland Apr 16, 2018

Hi, all! I'm out to purchase my first Constellation 14381 11 SC and would appreciate some input. I've read through a fair amount of Constellation articles on Desmond Guilfoyle's blog, but I am by no means an expert.

Here are the photos. The watch has been serviced recently. It looks good based on what I've read thus far, but I would feel much more confident if some of you experts could take a look. Are the components original and how much would you pay for it? Many thanks in advance!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg
  2. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Apr 16, 2018

Although the movement looks decent, the dial and hands look pretty tired to me. Seconds hand looks a bit short and the dial looks like maybe it has been cleaned in the past. I think maybe $500-600 would be an appropriate price...

aap and ConElPueblo like this.
  3. ConElPueblo Apr 17, 2018

That's the question, isn't it? Unless you would happen to have a dial and a set of hands to restore the watch lying around, the value to a collector would be that of the parts alone; in this case about $150 (I guess) for the movement + a bit for the case. Even if you had the parts available, you'd still end up with a completed Constellation with a very worn caseback and quite polished case; the facets of the lugs and bezel are somewhat soft.

It happens to be one of my favourite Constellation references and I have a few of them, this one is a gold capped case with the same crosshair dome dial as the one in your post :)

[​IMG]

Hattrick likes this.
  4. cristos71 Apr 17, 2018

I agree with the above but do think the dial might well clean up quite nicely with some compressed air and a light brush. It looks like the black hand filling has come loose and ended up all over the dial.

Quite why it has been left like that is anybody's guess, as if we are to believe the photo's the watch has ( recently?) been serviced. Logically speaking that would have been a good time to remove the dial debris so maybe those bits are stuck fast....

5. shetland Apr 17, 2018

Thanks for your response, Kyle L. I'm pretty new to this, so it really helps to see concrete figures of market price based on condition; the prices on these vary so drastically, especially on those being sold online!

Yeah, I agree the hands and dial look fairly worn.Interesting about the length of the second hand -- perhaps not original then. If I may ask, what led you to think it may have been cleaned in the past? Not challenging this, just curious.

Thanks, ConElPueblo, and that's a beautiful example you've got there! I appreciate the comment about the bezel and lug wear; my attention had primarily been on the dial and movement, admittedly.

As this is my first Constellation and I am on a budget, I think I'll have to turn a blind eye to some of the cosmetic faults but nevertheless insist on original parts. Based on my research so far, the parts seem to be original -- what would your assessment be based on your experience? There seem to be so many Frankenwatches floating around.

Thanks for your response, cristos71. I didn't realize that's what the black bits were. Good to know the dial might clean up nicely.
    I actually just requested a service history, so we'll see if the bits are stuck.

6. Edward53 Apr 17, 2018

That watch doesn't look like it's been well cared-for and I wouldn't bank on the dial cleaning up. I see water damage at the edge that has come in through the crown opening, with what looks like corresponding heavy cleaning of the baseplate (or whatever it's called) in the disassembled photo. Dial cleans are highly unpredictable and don't always end well. The hands would want fixing too, and just look at the state of that case back. I get that you are on a budget but sometimes "cheap" watches end up costing more. If at all possible it's best to hold out for a problem-free watch, which I know is easy for someone like me to say when I have several already but it's still true.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  7. ConElPueblo Apr 17, 2018

I think everything is correct, even the seconds hand which has probably broken at the tip (funnily enough, I have a 14.381 where this too is the case...). However, like @Edward53 I'd say that it is a watch to avoid. I see discolouration on the middle part of the dial (visible at the photo of the disassembled watch) and like @kyle L I'd guess that the dial has been cleaned and the attempt wasn't particularly succesful. It has that "flat" look of a dial that has been cleaned.

Even though it might seem like a good idea to buy a cheap Constellation like this, it will never be clever move.

8. shetland Apr 18, 2018

I've decided to take your advice and forego this watch. Thanks to both of you for sharing your knowledge and opinions! I will wait until the right one comes along in better condition.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  9. Edward53 Apr 18, 2018

There are good vintage Constellations and there are cheap ones, but the two things almost never coincide. Finding that elusive bargain could take years, if it ever happens. Which it probably won't, given the number of people now after these. Sorry for the bad news, but budget-busting is the only way.