Forums Latest Members
  1. rascjp Jun 22, 2015

This is my first post after long-time lurking, and I'd like to thank everyone here for the very useful information that you have all provided.

I bought my first ever vintage watch at auction and I'm wondering if there is a small hour marker missing by the date at 3 o'clock. The watch is a 561 calibre 168.005-6 from 1962-1963. Thank you for your help. 263_4.jpg

noelekal likes this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 22, 2015

Not necessarily. Some dials had this short marker and some didn't.

Since the dial otherwise looks original and there are no holes in that area, I would guess that it has always been that way.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

3. rascjp Jun 22, 2015

Thank you very much for your help.

4. Hijak Jun 22, 2015

Very nice first vintage watch!:thumbsup:

5. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Jun 23, 2015

Very nice. I picked up a 168.005/6 myself last month, which happens to have the short marker.

[​IMG]

6. rascjp Jun 23, 2015

Thanks. I'm very pleased with it.

7. rascjp Jun 23, 2015

Lovely watch, and that was my concern. Most of the watches similar to mine seem to have the marker.

8. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Jun 23, 2015

I'd take Gatorcpa's word for it ;)

9. Hijak Jun 23, 2015

Wouldn't worry about it, I've owned 168.005 Constellations with and without the marker at three, all origional dials. Your watch has a nice origional dial, enjoy it!:thumbsup:

10. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jun 23, 2015

welcome aboard
    lovely constellation -congratulations
    dome dials come with and without marker at 3 o'clock too

mine has just the lume dot - but entirely original

Constellation post service 220515.jpg

11. Skv Jun 23, 2015

Really Nice example with that case, BOR and crown! I personally prefer the SS over gold or gold plated models.

12. rascjp Jun 25, 2015

Another question. I will be getting the watch serviced and, from what I've learned, I should have the movement cleaned, oiled and tuned, have the case cleaned but not polished, and replace the crystal if necessary (I think I should - there is a slight crack at 6 o'clock). Everything else I should leave well alone. Am I right?
    If I want the watch to be water resistant again, I would need to have the crown replaced, but the replacement is not the same as the original. In that case it's best not to bother with the water resistance, but better to keep the original crown. Again, am I right?
    Thanks for your help.

hoipolloi likes this.
  13. Skv Jun 25, 2015

Yes. And tell them not to clean the dial or relume. Don't bother about the WR. It is vibtage watch, don't wear it near water

14. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jun 25, 2015

replacing parts is a personal choice
    most folks are happy to replace the crystal -and you can get an 'official' new omega crystal, complete with omega symbol (£30 0r $50) -look in the centre of mine and @BartH's crystal you'll see the tiny symbol -yours doesn't appear to have it so is most likely a service replacement anyway.

the crown is a different matter -again most collectors want an original crown but are happy to believe that crowns were replaced in services as the norm and so accept replacements.
    However, you are right in saying that Omega no longer make the original for the Constellation but the replacement is similar.
    I chose to keep my original crown for the sake of originality but at the risk of moisture ingress.
    I now live in a very humid country and am questioning if I've done the right thing.
    -but even with a new back seal and new crown the watch won't ever be guaranteed waterproof

the main thing is to find a good watchmaker who works on vintage watches -preferably Omegas -and explain in great detail what you do and don't want them to do - -like "an angels's breath dusting of the dial and no more..."
    -the good ones won't mind the obsessive attention to originality :taunt:

hope that helps

Philip

15. rascjp Jun 25, 2015

Thank you all so much for the help.

16. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jun 25, 2015

17. rascjp Jun 25, 2015

Thanks for the link oddboy. It's a difficult decision. I'll take it for servicing and see what they say about the condition of the watch.