Forums Latest Members
  1. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 31, 2013

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 31, 2013

Oh, my! :cool:

If I owned a cal. 505, it would be mine.
    gatorcpa

3. Sherbie Feb 1, 2013

Folks, isn't this a redial? ( markers are slightly off, star not aligned properly with crosshairs )

cheers, Paul

4. seamonster Respectable Member Feb 1, 2013

Respectable Member Sherbie

I think so, too. Otherwise, it will be gone by now.

Some of the bold strokes on the minute-track touch the point of the gold hour-markers.

Thank-you.

5. ulackfocus Feb 1, 2013

Mike & I discussed these a while back - they're too big for the watches that had caliber 505's in them. Those dials are 27 mm while these WatchCo models are 29 mm. Otherwise, he would have bought them ALL.

And yes, they're later replacement dials.

6. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Feb 1, 2013

but these are omega replacement dials. not a re paint. you have the same with all mayor brands. rolex replacement dials are what you get, when you send your rolex to the factory/AD for restoration. which case do these fit then? kind regards. achim

7. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 1, 2013

I think these dials are not a repaint but a later issue dial for the 505. Don't know which cases they would fit but they are certainly too large for the typical cal. 501/505 constellation reference such as ref. 2852.

Many of the other watchco dials are of odd sizes as well - typically too large. Same also for the seamaster chronometer dials they well which as also sized at 29mm which is too large for the typical 34mm case (takes a 27mm dial).

8. ulackfocus Feb 1, 2013

Achim, that's exactly what I said they were - replacement dials. I made no mention of repaints.

9. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 1, 2013

One factor to decide later production vs. repaint is follow the money - why go to the trouble of repainting something to this nice a standard and use the wrong dial diameter? Where's the economic sense in that? Besides, where would you even find a sufficient number of crappy piepan cal. 505 dials to repaint in the 29mm diameter rather than the vastly more common 27mm diameter version?
    I've been watching this on watchco and this is like the 10th dial of this type that they have listed.
    If you were going to make money on dial reprinting, you pick dials from the most common omegas, you reprint them to a very high standard and then you sell them. Watchco's stock is a really broad variety with a majority of their dials being for less popular and sometimes obscure references - some are 34mm ones that I have no ideal what references they belong to. That's a very inefficient way to make money - that's why I think these are for the most part later production omega dials that they have. Certainly the dials I used in my "franken" watch collection are authentic original omega printed dials.