Forums Latest Members

Constellation Pie Pan Cal 551 18mil ser. no. 14900 62 SC back - Real or not? Feedback, please

1. longfellow Jun 27, 2014

New to the forum tonight and probably won't bother too often since I don't handle watches, as a rule, but any info, opinions, critiques etc. would be appreciated.

I picked this up at an estate sale recently (he was an attorney from Beverly Hills). Good, bad or indifferent, I couldn't pass on the price - what can I say. I have the original crystal but had a new one put in due to heavy scratches. Did/doesn't have the original band.

The works serial number is in the 18 millions so that should put it at 1961, but the rest of the specs. I get mixed signals from different places as to whether it is real and what it might be worth. Title and photos are pretty explanatory, I think - just trying to keep this short and not too boring. Any other photos or questions, PLEASE ask! connie1.JPG connie2.JPG connie3.JPG connie4.JPG connie5.JPG

NT931 likes this.
  2. Dablitzer Jun 27, 2014

Hello and welcome! I don't see anything wrong with the watch. Looks ok to me. Did you get it at a good price? (If you don't mind me asking...)

3. longfellow Jun 27, 2014

Well, it is sort of embarrassing, especially if it is 'okay', but it was with a 'lot' of things I picked up and came out to less than $50.

4. longfellow Jun 27, 2014

I guess what had me doubting it was the lack of the 'T' after 'Made' and the whole thing about the 14900 number fakes.

5. Dablitzer Jun 27, 2014

That's true. But this has onyx inserts (black markers) so no need for "T" Swiss dial. The 14900's one of my favourites because of the simplicity of the dial (no date) this one looks seldom polished and you did astonishingly well given that I last saw one of these sell for over the 1500 mark!

6. longfellow Jun 27, 2014

Well, I guess that shows how much I don't know. I hadn't noticed (or known) about the onyx markers. I did notice that there seemed to be a derth of watches without the date in the Constellation model - which made me wonder a little, too. Thank you very much!

Dablitzer likes this.
  7. fjf Jun 27, 2014

Awesome purchase!!. Congrats!!.

8. timeismoney Jun 27, 2014

Welcome and congrats! $50 is a steal! From your pics, it looks like you did very well! Very nice watch, enjoy it my friend!

9. longfellow Jun 27, 2014

Thank you fjf and timeismoney! Timeismoney, don't I wish I could enjoy something like this piece, however, I hate to ruin good things and that is what would happen if I wore it for any time at all. I've got a Tissot PR50 that I've successfully worn for 15 years or so now. You know, the kind that is adult-proof, made of titanium with a sapphire crystal.

10. Hijak Jun 27, 2014

Wow, $50 is a total steal! You did very well on a very nice watch just look at that movement...so clean! I'm with Alex on these 14900s, they are some of my favorites too (in fact I purchased one from Alex a while back). Congratulations on a great pick up.:thumbsup:

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 27, 2014

Even still has the old yellow gasket in it, very well done!

12. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 27, 2014

......and that dial is a killer. Very pristine. Congratz on getting a very nice watch for very low price!!!

13. Hijak Jun 27, 2014

...and thanks for taking the great hi-def pictures, this always makes it easier for the forum to assist.

14. longfellow Jun 27, 2014

Hijak: Thank you, glad the photo quality helped. Sometimes, no matter what I do, I can't get a good photo of anything.

The input from one and all is very much appreciated - I even slept better last night.

15. Hijak Jun 27, 2014

Well thank you for sharing such a great watch...really no lost sleep needed here, you scored big on this one!:thumbsup:

16. longfellow Jun 27, 2014

Thanks, Hijak. It's great that this forum - and other good forums - are alive and well. There's a lot of info out there on the 'net but having a gathering of folks who know about a certain subject really helps to put that info into a form that even the intelligent but dumb people like me can understand.

17. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 27, 2014

WOW, great score! :thumbsup: