Forums Latest Members

Constellation or President?

1. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Mar 10, 2014

There is an auction for a beautiful Constellation on the 'bay, and there is speculation it may command nearly $5k.

<http://bit.ly/1kaTEav>

The listing prompted a thought to pop into my head. If presented with the choice of this Constellation, or a Rolex President in the same condition from the same year (also on a nice leather strap), which would you choose and why? I'll start...

As lovely as the Constellation is, and as uncommon as it is to find an example in such fine condition, I would opt for a President. Chatting with my watchmaker and reading on the 'net, it is argued that the Rolex has a better regulating system and is therefore more accurate, especially in terms of positional error. The President is an icon among wristwatches. It is not without its faults, especially with the perception of the folks who champion the brand. Image aside, I think the President is a well-constructed, attractive timepiece. My assessment of similar values between the President and the Constellation may be off, but I hope I have come close to the "apples to apples" comparison.

Thoughts?

2. Hijak Mar 10, 2014

First off if this is the Constellation you're talking about...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351019603839Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

...from the recommended vintage Omega thread it is only silly money that will bring it up to 5K, if that even happens. This is De Luxe money, even above De Luxe money (didn't pat that much for mine!) and the Connie in question is not worth any where near this. So the comparison your making may not be apples to apples. Just my two cents...

Time Exposure likes this.
  3. ulackfocus Mar 10, 2014

Some necessary corrections:

First, a Rolex President is named so because of the bracelet. It's a Day / Date head with a President bracelet.

Second, Omega made better movements than Rolex did then and held greater esteem in the watch buying public's eyes. It wasn't until the 80's that they flip flopped positions. Your watchmaker is in the minority about 50's and 60's caliber quality. Omega had quite a track record for not only chronometer performance, but also their standard movement's performance.

Fritz and Hijak like this.
  4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Mar 10, 2014

To me, it's
    image.jpg

although both have certainly earned their place in the pantheon of vintage classics.

5. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Mar 10, 2014

For me it depends on the Day-Date... I usually buy what catches my eye more. ;) There are some really nice Day-Dates IMO, I'd take one of these over the Constellation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 10, 2014

That's cause you're an old man. :p

7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 10, 2014

The serrated bezel is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. Even more than the magnification blister. No idea why.

STANDY likes this.
  8. ulackfocus Mar 10, 2014

Genetics. :D Not a fan of the wart myself, and I prefer the smooth bezel models of DJ over their serrated cousins too.

9. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Mar 10, 2014

That's why I got rid of both of these :)

[​IMG]

10. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Mar 10, 2014

Agreed. Hadn't really thought of it that way but it makes perfect sense.

Hey! That's what they said at the Rolex Forum! ;)

I'm not a big fan of the Falooted Bezel either, and prefer a smooth crystal. The blister doesn't bother me too much though.

And the old man comment? Guilty myself...Anyone else a fan of the Patek Philippe Ellipse? Didn't think so...

It's okay to like Omega AND Rolex, right? I do like Elvis AND The Beatles! But you can tell by my preference for the Day-Date I'm more of an Elvis guy (saw a concert in Tahoe, 1976).

11. ulackfocus Mar 10, 2014

Right here. :thumbsup: I ::love:: blue dials!

Sure. Many of the members and mods own both brands. I used to own the odd Rolex, and although I don't anymore I wouldn't mind a Root Beer GMT, Zephyr, or a 5513. I still have a healthy respect for their watches.

12. woodwkr2 Mar 10, 2014

Didn't know the Ellipse existed. That's the ugliest Patek I've ever seen.

Finally, one I don't want!

13. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Mar 10, 2014

:(

You're not alone. Maybe you saw the blue dial? Check out BROWN! (BTW Dennis, I had a Root Beer GMT II. Liked it a lot but don't regret selling it if that makes sense).

And the ugliest Patek (that comes to mind) was the (thankfully discontinued) Neptune. Or as I like to curse it, the Ineptune.

14. woodwkr2 Mar 10, 2014

Thank you!
    I just love finding new watches that I don't want to buy. It happens so rarely. Le sigh.

ulackfocus likes this.
  15. CdnWatchDoc Mar 10, 2014

Interesting question. I have both a Rolex (1601 Datejust) and a Connie (14393 with the Cal 561), and love them both! I have dressed up the Omega with a nice alligator strap, and dressed down the DJ with a distressed leather strap...honestly like to wear both. To some, this question is like Sophie's Choice...can't chose one of the favoured children!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have both on my winder, and the Rolex is always within a minute of the time, whereas the Connie is often a few minutes behind...Will need to bring it in for a service :oops:

16. Jon R Mar 11, 2014

I've always felt that Rolex are over-priced while Omega a much better value buy. As for style, I also prefer Omega which are typically less ostentatious to me and the reason I prefer the brand. Omega are backed by proven pedigree of technology and are the choice of timekeeping by various high-profile institutions. I think Rolex out-manoeuvred Omega by smart marketing to gain the prestige / executive choice position and command the higher price. It's all about personal choice and, much as I try, I just can't love Rolex.

dantaspaulo and Northernman like this.
  17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 11, 2014

Nothing worse than the rolex curse

Is It real?
    yes
    Oh ( end of conversation)

Northernman likes this.
  18. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Mar 11, 2014

It's one of the reasons I like Omega.

(stranger looks at Omega): "some weather we're having?"

(Omega wearer): "yup."

(end of conversation).

Flying under the radar is a definite plus in my book.

19. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 11, 2014

You say you hate the fluted bezel, Lou, but what about this engine turned example?

[​IMG]

Actually, the older type of fluted bezel I love...

[​IMG]

20. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 11, 2014

Yes Yes, engined turned is good.
    Gilt.jpg