Forums Latest Members
  1. dantaspaulo Jan 7, 2014

So, I've been thinking for a while about buying a Constellation Megasonic (quartz, I know, but they are a bit interesting, aren't they?)

What do you guys think of this piece? I've read here that it's a tricky watch to own , but it's been offered to me at a price almost too good to pass. How much would you say it's safe to pay for something like this?

Edit: They aren't quartz, are they? Just did a bit of the homework I should have done in the first place.

omega megasonic 2.jpg omega megasonic.jpg

2. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 7, 2014

Looks to me like a ref 398.0820 with a cal 1230 movement. Here is a link to a review of these:

http://www.electric-watches.co.uk/make/omega/megasonic/omega-megasonic.php

The technology was quite special for its time. However, these watches are not everyone's cup of tea. There are only a handful of people who work on these and a very limited supply of spares. Personally, I would only purchase one that is in working order and even then realize that if something goes wrong and spare parts are needed you will be out of luck.

3. dantaspaulo Jan 7, 2014

Thanks, Joe. I also found this: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f45/inside-f300-f720-m4tt-298152.html

The article made me want to have it even more. ::love:: Also, maybe mosquitoes will be sent away by the humming -- I live right next to a forest and this might me helpful. :)

The seller has sworn that (a) the watch was serviced in November and (b) he'll tell me the name of the watchmaker who did it. Perphaps it's worth a shot, then?

4. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 7, 2014

M4tt's thread is a good read! One of my favorite members from WUS and always entertaining.
    I like the humming, although my watches are all 300Hz, so I am not sure what the 720 would feel/sound like.
    I am biased, so if it was offered to me at a price too good to pass, I wouldn't pass :)

5. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jan 7, 2014

I found hummer (f300 or other tune fork movt) movement fascinating. I really like the sound of it.
    I own one connie f300. The only thing that made prevent me from another purchase is unavailability of local watchmaker that could handle it.

dantaspaulo likes this.
  6. ulackfocus Jan 7, 2014

Joe, would you mind inviting him here too? I did a while back.

7. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 7, 2014

do you have a referral program :whistling: ?

8. ulackfocus Jan 7, 2014

Yes, and for a member like M4tt we'll pay double the usual bounty. :p

9. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 7, 2014

Awesome......:thumbsup:

Wait.... 2 X 0 = 0.....:confused:

10. ulackfocus Jan 7, 2014

You were always good at the math! :p

11. Tom Dick and Harry Jan 8, 2014

These are great watches and as a few other members have said the movement were really quite something at the time. The major issues are that the micro motor sits in a small oil filled cell which congeals with age and is basically irreparable, this is the most common fault on them. I know STS in the UK had a supply of the movements but even they stopped servicing them because they couldn't guarantee the repair and even if they put in a completely NOS movement it might work for two years it might work for two weeks! The other issue is that the noise they make is horrendous, so unless you sleep with them in your spare room they will keep you awake.

They are lovely watches but the same watch was available in F300 variation, in fact virtually all if not all Megasonics were available in the same case as F300 (including the lobster)

Safe bet is the F300, fun bet the Megasonic

dantaspaulo and SpikiSpikester like this.