Forums Latest Members

Constellation Megaquartz 32KHz (196.0016 / 396.0811; cal. 1310): a few questions...

1. Ken G Oct 4, 2016

I've just purchased the above watch and would like to confirm a couple of points (re. hands and bracelet) about this model to satisfy my curiosity. Some will say I should've confirmed before the purchase, but the price and condition were both fantastic, so I would've bought it anyway :) The watch was advertised as NOS, but I'm pretty sure it's a from-the-ground-up build using NOS parts (it's from WatchCo and I'm familiar with what they do and how they list their items).

The first question is regarding the hands: Did this model come with different types of hands?
    My understanding is these are the correct hands for this model (pic "borrowed" from net):

[​IMG]
    I think I've only ever seen this style of hands (of varying lengths/colors) on the f300 and MHz watches. Is this correct? I'm almost certain that the hands on my new watch are "wrong", but would just like to have this confirmed by the experts here. The watch I bought has these:

[​IMG]
    Never seen these on a MQZ before. They seem to be the same as another cal. 1310 model, the Mariner. Here's a pic of my actual Mariner (with its less-than-mint hands):

[​IMG]

My next question is regarding the bracelet. Did the 196.0016 ever come on a bar-type bracelet? My new watch is coming on a 3019/202. My understanding is that this is a lighter replacement bracelet for other Megaquartz models (Marine Chronometer and other 1510, 1511, 1516 model). Here are a couple of pics of the bracelet (and the rest of the watch) that's on its way to me:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think this is the usual bracelet on the 196.0016:

[​IMG]
    But was this the only one? Was the bar-type an option?

As I said, I'm pretty sure the watch that's coming is franken (all be it with genuine parts); these questions are just out of interest. Thanks, as always, for your help!

[Bonus question: how do I go about removing the purple coating? Does that need expert attention?]

2. webvan Oct 5, 2016

The hands are indeed incorrect, as for the bracelet, the 196.0016 did come on the 1213/202 bracelet your show but I've seen it on the "bar" 1239/202 bracelet (from the Seamaster MQ 196.0023/396.0817) too and it looks good ;-)

From the old (and much better) Omega database :

Edited Oct 5, 2016
    Ken G likes this.
  3. Ken G Oct 5, 2016

Thanks for that, webvan! Much appreciated. I'm more than happy to keep it on the bar bracelet (big fan of that look), but may see about getting the right hands if I can find them. I don't really mind those Mariner-type hands that are on it, but it's kind of hard to be sure until I see it in RL. You don't happen to know if the correct hands are still available, do you?

4. webvan Oct 5, 2016

Sure and I don't know about the availability of the hands. You could check the CousinsUK site to see if they list any hands for the 196.0016 case, or maybe call STS but they wouldn't sell them to you separately I think.

Ken G likes this.
  5. Scepticalist Oct 5, 2016

Ken G likes this.
  6. Ken G Oct 5, 2016

Thanks for the leads guys! :)

7. Ken G Oct 5, 2016

Can anyone give me any advice on this? Thanks!

8. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Oct 6, 2016

I removed it on my Zenith using gentle pressure with a toothpick, and from my Speedmaster with my fingernail.

IMG_1536.JPG

Ken G likes this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 6, 2016

Looking at ref. 1960016, I see two hand sets listed as available currently. Both look like the first photo in your first post in terms of the shape, but the finish is different.

065PZ1697, hour and minute hand set, are silver base with the ends painted black (like the last photo appears to be in your original post). These are paired with a silver dial.

065PZ1698, hour and minute hand set, are silver base, but the parts painted black on the other hands are painted white. This second set of hands are paired with the same black dial that is on your incoming watch, so I believe they would be the current replacement set. Seconds hand is 066UZ2154.

Current replacement bracelet for this case is 020ST3019201.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Al

jstar10684 and Ken G like this.
  10. Ken G Oct 6, 2016

Thanks for that. So gently does it then!

ahartfie likes this.
  11. Ken G Oct 6, 2016

That really does help, Al; thanks a lot!

Now that I know the "correct" hands are available, I think I'll go ahead and get them rather than just accept those Mariner-type ones...

Thanks again!

12. Ken G Oct 8, 2016

Well, it arrived today and I'm absolutely delighted with it! The "incorrect" hands look a lot better than I thought they would (still plan on getting them replaced, though).

Here are a few hastily-taken shots which I think show it better than the seller's I previously posted (still need to get that purple coating off and have the bracelet sized):

image.jpeg image.jpeg

ahartfie likes this.
  13. Ken G Oct 8, 2016

And here are a couple of shots comparing it to a Seamaster Quartz I have with a similar case and dial:

image.jpeg image.jpeg

The Constellation has a much more substantial wrist presence: the case is considerably thicker and the hefty bar bracelet adds to the feeling.

I think these make a nice matching pair...

ahartfie likes this.