Forums Latest Members
  1. AJDay Feb 21, 2013

In anticipation of my first Constellation arriving (http://omegaforums.net/threads/the-price-seemed-right.3955/), I was day-dreaming about opening it up when it arrives to make sure everything checks out.

I use a rubber case back ball to open screw-in case backs, to avoid any damage to the metal. But it puts torque on the very center, which is where the medallion is...

Is it safe / okay to use a case back ball on the medallion? Not sure how the gold medallion is attached to the stainless case back?

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 21, 2013

I've never had a problem. The torque should be affecting both the steel and the gold together I would think.

3. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Feb 21, 2013

It's probably ok. I still prefer the two or three pronged openers though.

4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 21, 2013

If the caseback is on tight, the ball won't be enough. The traditional 3 prong opener might work but sometimes won't be enough if it is really tight plus you run the risk of scratching the case. Would still try with the ball and work your way up. Unless it opens easily I go straight and use my horotec MSA 07.320 case opener - not cheap but safe especially if the caseback is on tight.

5. AJDay Feb 21, 2013

Thanks.

The seller had it off, so I'm assuming it won't be on there too tight... I just wanted to make sure it was safe to use the ball with the medallion.

6. ulackfocus Feb 21, 2013

The only medallions to worry about with the ball are the ones with paint.