Forums Latest Members
  1. robocaspar Nov 28, 2016

Hi all,

Looking for some opinions of a Cal 354 Constellation fat arrow I'm in the process of negotiating. Movement serial in the 14.1 millions.

To me the dial looks original even though it fails the MOY test, and I've read from Desmond's site that it is possible to have a genuine dial not passing MOY.

The only blemish is at 2oclock which seems to be some dried glue or loctite possibly from reattaching a fallen marker? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

werdna77 and Giff2577 like this.
  2. ConElPueblo Nov 28, 2016

That looks absolutely amazing. May I ask about the price?

3. MPWATCH Watch Lover Nov 28, 2016

I've read that the MOY test also will show some variations with the "O" not perfectly centered and overshot by the right just as your dial is here. That would be my indicator as far as it being right. My only other concern is that the line is not close enough to the "Y" in "Officially". I see you also have the boxed A's. Is the Constellation flat or does it have depth?

Best,

Thomas

4. robocaspar Nov 28, 2016

Can't say for sure concerning the raised constellation wording. I'll bring a loupe and take a better look tonight.

And yes I was concerned by the spacing of Y in officially, but the wording of automatic and chronometre above it does seem to fall into the variation of the standard MOY test noted by Desmond's essay.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

MPWATCH likes this.
  5. ConElPueblo Nov 28, 2016

I tend to look more at overall condition and position of markers and such when looking at pictures online.

This one looks good, but I'd guess that the dial has been cleaned at one point. Regarding the distance from the Y to the crosshairs, have a look here: https://omegaforums.net/threads/incoming-ss-constellation.18030/

robocaspar, cristos71 and MPWATCH like this.
  6. MPWATCH Watch Lover Nov 28, 2016

Clear as day here! Thank you for the additional advice. I'll have some photos of my newest purchase posted soon for further collaboration...

Please let me know what your findings are with the "Constellation" text! Interested to know where this piece lands with that specific test.

Best,

Thomas

Screen Shot 2016-11-28 at 1.20.43 PM.png
    robocaspar likes this.
  7. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Nov 28, 2016

looks damned fine to me

robocaspar likes this.
  8. cristos71 Nov 28, 2016

I wasn´t sure at first about that dial, I think something to do with the cal 354 and the applied `Omega` on the dial. I always relate the bumper calibres with the earlier printed `Omega´ and the applied ´Omega´ with the 5xx series of movements. Then I remembered that Desmond had written that the applied ´Omega´ was acceptable with 354´s with late 13.9 million serials to be found in ref 2782´s.

That got me back thinking about the dial question and so Googled lots of 2782´s and it is only here that I see this applied ´Omega´, with crosshairs and the failed MOY issue, so perhaps these dials are specific to the ref 2782, as I don´t recall seeing non applied ´Omega` dials ( 2652´s,etc ) or later ref 2852´s with this characteristic

robocaspar likes this.
  9. ConElPueblo Nov 28, 2016

When everything else checks out ok, my rule of thumb is to accept it as an acceptable deviance. There are hundreds of small differences in vintage watches, so I'm ready to accept that there's quite a lot that I don't know, even concerning models I feel reasonably at home with. For instance, my own 2782 has the only "SWISS MADE" I've seen so far on an arrowhead marker, non-textured dial where it's divided by the 6 o'clock marker so far. Checks out perfectly fine, but that detail is odd.

[​IMG]

MPWATCH and robocaspar like this.
  10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 28, 2016

This is not a MOY concerned watch. MOY is watch and dial specific. That is, it is a guide, not a hard Constellation rule. We are talking about a decade when there were many dial variations.
    I believe the watch is perfectly fine.

robocaspar likes this.
  11. robocaspar Nov 28, 2016

Great info! It is much appreciated and I will report back later tonight after viewing the watch again

12. robocaspar Nov 28, 2016

Alright here is it. Picked it up tonight for a good amount. More questions though as it doesn't have a observatory medallion. It looks like... The virgin Mary? Very odd. Opinions welcome

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

mernisbajra likes this.
  13. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 28, 2016

Wow, very interesting case back

JohnSteed and robocaspar like this.
  14. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Nov 28, 2016

Oh dear
    Nice watch shame about the missing medallion
    I nearly asked for a picture of the back but everyone was concentrating on that dial...
    If it was claimed to be all original you could return it
    Or if it doesn't bother you then just wear it and enjoy

robocaspar likes this.
  15. robocaspar Nov 28, 2016

I don't really mind the medallion. Technically it's not missing, just different?

I've tried several Google searches and have come up empty for medallion variations for constellations. Do you think it is a custom medallion?

16. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Nov 28, 2016

That's the spirit :thumbsup:
    Someone has replaced the original observatory medallion

robocaspar likes this.
  17. robocaspar Nov 28, 2016

I see! I wonder if observatory medallions can still be sourced?

Also am curious about the bracelet. It doesn't have any numbers on the clasp. #4 end links although the 2 end links are different, one fatter and one skinnier. It also has 4 stretch links but one of them is missing the spring it seems.

18. hendra324 dealer who would rather use aftermarket parts Nov 28, 2016

nice connie

robocaspar likes this.
  19. robocaspar Nov 29, 2016

Movement and caseback shots

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Nov 29, 2016

It's a MIRACLE!

Jwit, Edward53 and Peemacgee like this.