Forums Latest Members
  1. timelightsky Sep 6, 2019

Hi all-- trying to figure out what exactly the hands are made of in my stainless steel Constellation 168.004 (cal. 561) below. The hands match the markers, and are a very pale yellow: much paler than yellow gold, but also noticeably yellower than steel (the dark infill in the photos is degraded radium lume)-- closer to the color of steel though.

I couldn't find the answer searching through here or on the amazing http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com. Cousins lists gold plated and stainless steel hands for this reference, while Jules Borel has "White" and "Yellow" ones. I actually have a set of the steel hands and one of the yellow gold second hands and the color of the existing hands and markers doesn't match either one.

Can anyone enlighten me? Thank you very much in advance!
    w-17.jpg IMG_0947.JPEG cousins.PNG julesborel.PNG

2. BenBagbag Sep 6, 2019

My guess is that they are whatever the markers are. If the markers are white gold then the hands are too. If the markers are rhodium then hands would be too. My guess is rhodium but you really need to post better photos.

This is my railtrack with rhodium hands/markers.

14393 Railtrack.jpg

3. timelightsky Sep 6, 2019

Thanks - yes pretty sure they're the same as the markers but trying to figure out what. I saw references to rhodium plated hands and markers but I thought rhodium plating gives a white color (like your hands/markers/applied logo+star, great looking watch BTW!) as opposed to pale yellow like mine. Is that not always true? Did Omega ever use un-plated white gold hands and markers on steel Constellations? If so that might be it.

I'll try to get some better photos, I've had a lot of trouble trying to get the color differences to show up in photos as they do in person.