Forums Latest Members
  1. DManzaluni Dec 14, 2018

20181214_111918.jpg 20181214_111946.jpg Can anyone see what Is going on with this watch please?

I did see this problem with this ring before I bought the watch last week but thought nothing of it. The hands are binding against each other at the right of the dial. So the watch stops at 3.16 and the minute hand binds against the second hand, stopping the watch as shown here:

I did notice when I bought it that there seems to be a break in the ring surrounding the outer chapter ring, but I didn't know what it meant.

Can anyone see what Is the problem here,? Or Is that ring supposed to hold the dial down so that it doesn't push against the hands?

So do I need a new ring (Is this ring designed for a smaller watch?) or, despite that, does the watch just need opening and the dial securing a bit better to the movement?

Or do the hands just need resetting?

Edited Dec 14, 2018
  2. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 14, 2018

After market crystal with wrong retaining ring.
    The ring shouldn’t cover the minute ticks.
    It might be that if you replace it with an Omega crystal (and retaining ring) it might sort the problem with the hands.

Biezmez and Noddyman like this.
  3. Noddyman Dec 14, 2018

Yep retaining ring is too small.
    You can see where it’s resting up against the markers, hence the gap.

4. DManzaluni Dec 14, 2018

I have never seen one advertised. Can I buy one anywhere? A watch parts supply store?

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 14, 2018

You will need the reference number marked inside the case back in order to find the correct Omega crystal.

6. Dan S Dec 14, 2018

It's not clear to me that the problem with the hands is related to the retaining ring. If it always stops at that time, perhaps the hands are just bent down too far, so the minute hand rubs against the date-surround bezel, pushing it up into the seconds hand. They may need to be adjusted to have more clearance. I would take it to a watchmaker and have him address all of these issues simultaneously.

Archer likes this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 15, 2018

As Dan S has mentioned, the two issues are not related. One is an incorrect crystal/tension ring, and the other is poor installation of the hands. Based on all this, I would suggest seriously considering getting a service done, because if these details aren't right likely there are other things that aren't right as well...

8. DManzaluni Dec 15, 2018

Whenever I have had a problem with hands touching before, I have as you suggest always had to take the watch to a
    Repairer. My adjustments rarely had the effect of doing anything other than making them touch at some other place on the dial! But this time I wondered if that ring might mean something.

Thanks for telling me that the curious break in the ring probably doesn't affect functionality but rather that the hands probably just need adjustment.