Forums Latest Members
  1. Selbo Jul 30, 2017

Hey, haven't posted here in awhile due to work and family demands but I still check in regularly. Still the best site out there with the best members. Good to see all the quality posters still around. Too bad about about Dennis. In all seriousness, Dennis taught this noob so much back in day. Great, great guy who knows his stuff. He saved me from so many noob "how about this one?" terrible watches. I hope he comes back and yes, I do have Speedmasters in the drawer. The site benefits when Dennis is around despite his polarizing posts. No one can question his knowledge or his passion. Hope to see him soon.

Ok, onto the post. I've made a few purchases since my absence but I've also looked through the pending "projects" in the watch drawer recently. Came across a dial that I think needs more attention. Only problem is that it's just a dial. I don't know how to build it out. Yes, I know, I'm looking at a Franken but it will be for personal use only. To the Constellation guys, can you determine the reference based upon the dial only? I'm thinking a 2652 given the Omega symbol but I'm probably wrong (been some time since I've been in the game). Also, anyway to determine the case - stainless, gold cap, or 18k? Again, I have no history, just the dial. Would love to finish this one but I'd like to be true to original as possible. Thanks in advance. The photos:

IMG_3381.JPG IMG_3383.JPG IMG_3384.JPG

mikechi22 likes this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 30, 2017

Ref. 2652 is likely correct. Movement would be a bumper automatic cals. 352 or 354.

Case could be steel, gold-capped or solid gold. They did have some steel case watches with gold markers.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

BenBagbag and Selbo like this.
  3. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Jul 31, 2017

Some of the earliest 2782s also had the double ts in Constellation and the printed Omega logo too, so it may at a stretch be from that case.

Either way, it will probably fit in either case.

Cheers

Desmond

4. Dr No Jul 31, 2017

Could it also be from a ref 2852?

DSCN9720 2.JPG

My ref 2852 has an applied OMEGA logo in contrast to the op's dial, and it also doesn't have 'Swiss Made' at either side of the 6 marker, but they're otherwise identical (other than rose vs yellow gold furniture).

IMG_0046 4.JPG
    [more accurate rendition of hands/marker color]

Just wondering; if there's a clue to differentiating 2652 from 2852 dials, I'd love to know!

Thanks,

Art

mikechi22 likes this.
  5. mac_omega Jul 31, 2017

IMO it is the difference in the Omega wording - applied gold (2852) versus printed (on the earlier ones)

6. Dr No Jul 31, 2017

Hi, Erich,

I've seen 2852s with printed OMEGA logos . . .

Omega_Constellation_Ref_2852_500.jpg
    [photo credit: WatchTime]

. . . and 2652s with applied.

omega_image.3058553.jpg
    [photo credit: Aroma/PuristSPro]

Your thoughts? The WatchTime example could be mislabeled, but rather doubt the other is.

Cordially,

Art

Edited Jul 31, 2017
    mikechi22 likes this.
  7. Dr No Jul 31, 2017

After looking over hundreds of images of 2852s, I could find only two that had printed OMEGA dials, so chances are good both photos were mislabeled.

The general rule, then, is that a printed logo indicates a 2652, even if there were 2652s with applied, simply because all 2852s have applied logos - mistakenly labeled examples notwithstanding.

Art

8. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Jul 31, 2017

I don't think it can be applied as a general rule Art. I have seen both 2782s and early 2799 De Luxe models with printed logo and double T, so the waters are a little more muddied.

Cheers

Desmond

Dr No likes this.
  9. Dr No Jul 31, 2017

Thanks for the comprehensive clarification, Desmond. I thought I'd seen at least a few scripted OMEGA 2852s online over the years that were exceptions to the rule, but in hindsight, they were in all likelihood either frankens or simply misidentified.

Cordially,

Art