Forums Latest Members

Constellation - chronometer, chronometre, chronometere?

1. AndyLond Sep 4, 2018

Hi everyone,

Having been studying the excellent info on here about how to spot original from re-finished dials on Constellations, I have seen the spelling is something to look out for (believe it or not).

The guide on how to "fish" from @ConElPueblo is excellent - thanks for sharing your insights.

So, I have been looking closely at Constellations, I see that "chronometer" is spelled in many different ways - e.g., chronometer, chronometre, chronometere etc.

Did Omega produce dials with this different spelling (maybe for different markets), or is it a sign of a re-finished dial?

I offer some examples from various websites below to illustrate my question...

a.jpg aa.jpg b.jpg c.jpg
  2. trash_gordon Sep 4, 2018

In my opinion "Chronometere" is totally wrong

ConElPueblo likes this.
  3. cristos71 Sep 4, 2018

"Chronometere" brilliant!...Back to the spellcheck please re-dialler's!

marco, micampe, ConElPueblo and 2 others like this.
  4. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 4, 2018

Loving the ‘Chronometere’ -surely Del Boy’s watch?
    Both re and er are correct - they appear in different eras (but with cross over)
    And you haven’t even started on straight Ms and sloping Ms yet.....(see your pic No2 for an example)

AndyLond and connieseamaster like this.
  5. omegastar Sep 4, 2018

French is the official language of Swiss horology, so they started with chronomètre. As the main market shifted overseas they replaced it for the English word chronometer, because overseas people aren’t able...

AndyLond likes this.
  6. AndyLond Sep 4, 2018

Very interesting - thanks everyone. There are so many small details to get your head around with these vintage Omegas. Which, of course, is part of the fun.

7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 4, 2018

8. Edward53 Sep 4, 2018

Eeeeeeeeeeee....that top one's NASTY even without the spelling!

AndyLond and kaisiang098 like this.