Forums Latest Members
  1. ivarb Aug 29, 2016

Bitten by the Constellation bug and the knowledge available in this forum, I'm tempted to go for this 505 with an arrowhead dial. But the seller (E-bay) says he has no better pictures and they seem pretty vague to me... I would be glad to hear some comments on this!

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600-2.jpg s-l1600-1.jpg s-l1600-3.jpg s-l1600-4.jpg s-l1600-5.jpg s-l1600-6.jpg
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 29, 2016

Looks OK to me, but It is difficult to judge movement condition from photographs.

There may have been a problem with the rotor bearings. That causes rubbing on the rotor which you can see there.

Dial and case look original and not overpolished.

Good luck,
    gatorcpa

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  3. westmtn Aug 29, 2016

Pictures are a bit grainy. Probably shot with high ISO. The watch looks original to me.

4. Kja Aug 29, 2016

Tell him it will need a service since it hasn't been devices in a long time, he told me that when I asked. See if he'll go for $1200 cash right now.. Then get a good service and a nice strap or bracelet and you'll have a near perfect large arrowhead. Most need a device anyway, but use it for leverage on price, see how low he'll go.:cool:

5. Kja Aug 29, 2016

Service not device.. I hate autocorrect, so annoying.

6. Kja Aug 29, 2016

If you do get it, you need to get it serviced, it looks like the rubbing has not been going on a long time and it hasn't done much damage at all but it can if it continues to rub it will wear the plating off. I don't think that is a deal breaker and can be easily fixed, and the dial is in remarkable condition, the case is still sharp and not too beat up.

7. ivarb Aug 29, 2016

Thank you very much for your comments! I was just a bit afraid due to the grainy dial and the rather shiny case back. But the seller is not too communicative when I ask for details... But as I understand, these arrowhead pie-pans are more scarce than the later models?

8. Dr No Aug 29, 2016

There are contemporary arrowheads . . .

IMG_0026 6.JPG

. . . without the pie-pan configuration, too. All else being equal, collectors tend to prefer pie-pans.

Wish I had one as nice as the one you're contemplating. A worn rotor bearing shouldn't be a problem for a competent watchmaker.

Cordially,

Art

9. Kja Aug 29, 2016

You should read the connie show and tell thread, it will give you a better understanding of constellations, and Desmond's blog is required reading if you are serious about learning about them. But to answer, I'm not sure if they are more rare than other types of 500 series pie pan connies, just more wanted, due to them looking better and being more pure with no lume and solid dauphine hands.

10. Sherbie Aug 29, 2016

Something looks off to me with the text of constellation - dont like the script and isnt the line too close to the "ll" ?

As suggested Check out Desmonds essays on dial configurations and any show and tell threads of connie cross hair dials before spending your hard earned

Have to admit the case and medalion are really sharp though a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. dx009 Aug 29, 2016

It looks fully legit but as gatorcpa said the oscillating weight is or has rubbed off against the case back at some point. I don't see any marks on the inner case back though...

12. Dr No Aug 29, 2016

The graining evident on the perimeter of the dial would be difficult for a refinisher to replicate.

Not the highest quality images, but from what we've got to work with, it still seems ok to me.

Best,

Art

13. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Aug 29, 2016

Dial looks good to me
    Cross hairs are frequently that close to the text
    Very nice Connie
    Lovely case too
    As above - looks like it needs a service
    Good look with negotiations OP

14. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 29, 2016

Here is mine, same model

IMG_7718.jpg
    boat2dan, Dr No, Impondering and 3 others like this.
  15. Kja Aug 29, 2016

^ that's sick! Here is mine!
    [​IMG]
    I came really really close to getting the one on ebay, I just liked the deep patina on mine.. But I still love that one! The gold looks great on steel.
    That's gorgeous adam!

Dr No, Jwit and GregH like this.
  16. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Aug 29, 2016

17. TexOmega Aug 29, 2016

And there's always a blacksheep.....

Ref 2852 (Copy).JPG

Deafboy, boat2dan, Dr No and 7 others like this.
  18. ivarb Aug 30, 2016

Thank you very much all of you for your comments! I have asked the seller (again) for better pictures. It seems a bit scary to put this amount of money into a watch with such grainy pictures and I guess the possibility of refund through E-bay is pretty bleak (if it does not match the expectations)?

19. westmtn Aug 30, 2016

Hey all, ran across this after posting here yesterday. What are the thoughts on this one?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. westmtn Aug 30, 2016

Per the item description.

"Second hand poped out when I shook it hastily to wind,
    as seen in last picture. Buyer will take care of it."