Forums Latest Members

Constellation cal 354 / considerations & hints appreciated

1. Phranz Aug 17, 2015

Hello @ all experts!

This Constellation / ref 27822 / cal 354 is coming up in an auction in Vienna (Dorotheum).
    Gold 750, mvm nr. 13971159, case nr. 11355989.
    The auctionhouse dates it to ±1954

Dial.jpg

Back.jpg

The watch is talking to me, I like the patina very much, but live to far away to go there for a look in flesh & inside photos.
    Inspite of lacking that, help would be appreciated concerning the „historical ranking“ of this reference in the huge realm of the constellations.

The starting price is 800€ (without the premium of about 25%)
    Any idea how far this can / should go realistically? I have not found much market info about this reference.
    Does it overall look correct, ser numbers matching together, does the case look maybe too polished?

Thank you very much for having a look….

2. TexOmega Aug 17, 2015

definitely "worn" or over-polished as you suspect.
    dial is on the other side of the line I would draw, but the back appears in great shape
    crown worn severely
    applied Arabic numerals are a bonus as are the cross hairs

3. Phranz Aug 17, 2015

Thank you Tex :)

4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Aug 17, 2015

are there any movement shots? id want to see the insides before i bid.

5. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Aug 17, 2015

On eBay one like this can go up to 2800 usd

6. Phranz Aug 18, 2015

@canberra
    as I had written in the first post, for me there are not movement shots available, this auction house seldom provide this service online :(

@hoipolloi
    wow, interesting estimate! Now I wonder about the value of the clean and most beautiful ones, when I look at the wonderful thread here showing your vintage connies.
    btw I was laughing at a comment in this exceptional thread, a similar dial was described as "leopard dial"

7. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Aug 18, 2015

Must be my watch. :D It's dial is pretty aged in real life and is definitely not a perfect one. I still enjoy wearing it though.

I agree that it would probably go from 2500-3000. Case is in decent condition and some people like that patina.

Waynepjr likes this.
  8. Waynepjr Aug 18, 2015

Agree with Kyle and condition of the watch. It will sell for a decent price regardless of the issues mostly due to being 18k. Would not be surprised if the new buyer has a dial and crown to put in this watch as well, happens quite frequently...

9. Phranz Aug 20, 2015

Thx a lot to all omega aficionados for your input!
    I decided not to bid for it, and it was sold today with the starting price of €1000.- including buyers premium.