Forums Latest Members
  1. rainforth Dec 31, 2018

My first post for Omega Forums: I've been a proud (too proud perhaps!) owner of a 1963 gold capped Constellation (561 mov) for a number of years and was fatally tempted a couple of weeks ago by an 18ct Constellation from 1952 in near museum quality condition (apart from wrong crown). It was part of a collection of a director of a major UK jewellery retail company and appears to have been little worn. The dial is original and pristine, the 354 mov in superb condition - in short the watch is a joy. A little loss of detail/definition for sure especially in the observatory stars (66 years old!). I hope to wear it daily and not simply squirrel it away in a draw where it will clearly maintain its fine condition status but has no function as a watch. Question: would I need to replace the crown with the correct decagonal one in 18ct or a modern gold plated equivalent? So long as I'm using the watch I'm tempted to leave the existing crown in place (easier to wind also).

Edited Dec 31, 2018
  2. Passover Dec 31, 2018

Hi and congrats to your Connie!

Please post photos (as mentioned)

Don't know if I got your point, are you asking for aesthetical or technical reasons?

If the crown works and you don't mind that it is the wrong one: just wear the watch the way it is!

rainforth likes this.
  3. rainforth Dec 31, 2018

Many thanks. Photos hopefully attached. I think my question was more to do with the 'correct' crown - i.e. would the original have been fully 18ct (apart from steel screw insert)?

Screenshot 2018-12-31 at 10.06.56.png Screenshot 2018-12-31 at 10.11.39.png
    Edited Dec 31, 2018
    Edward53 likes this.
  4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 31, 2018

It is not clear if the originals were solid gold or not. At 65 years on, very few have factory original crowns. They were routinely replaced during servicing.

However, you can get 10-sided gold plated crowns from parts suppliers. These are a little wider than the originals, but still look the part. You need to be careful that gold color matches, especially with rose gold versions.

Good luck with purchase.
    gatorcpa

5. rainforth Dec 31, 2018

Many thanks. Always at the back of my mind when making a purchase of this size is the possibility of a fake...difficult to carry out all the checks (especially for a novice) at the time of purchase (I bought it from a trusted Birmingham jeweller who I have been doing business with for years...)

6. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 31, 2018

Which jeweller? Am there myself.