Forums Latest Members
  1. rascjp Oct 2, 2015

I just bought myself a constellation 168.029 and I have a couple of questions. Firstly, I read somewhere (watchuseek?) that the bezel on this model is always gold and that in the case of stainless steel model it would be white gold. I cannot see any hallmark, so I wonder if this is true. Also, the dial on this watch is kind of rough looking, is this normal? I'm not really keen on the look of the dial to be honest and didn't really notice it when I bought it. DSCF0756.JPG
    Thanks for your help.
    Andrew

2. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 2, 2015

the rough looking dial is a 'linen' dial -some people love them

Temprus, Giff2577 and italy1861 like this.
  3. rascjp Oct 2, 2015

Thanks. The look changes at different angles and in different light - I thought at first the crystal was badly scratched! Do you know about the bezel?

4. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 2, 2015

sorry @rascjp I don't know about the bezel
    I was going to look it up on the vintage database -it should tell you there - but I can't get it to work anymore.....

no specific mention on Desmond's site either

Edited Oct 2, 2015
  5. rascjp Oct 2, 2015

No problem. Maybe some other forum members will have the answer!

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 2, 2015

When I look up the parts for this case reference, the stainless steel watch is shown with a stainless steel bezel...

Cheers, Al

italy1861 and Peemacgee like this.
  7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 2, 2015

The fluted bezels on these are indeed white gold. Plain bezels are steel.

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 2, 2015

I can tell you that the fluted replacements bezels for the Ref. 168.0045 are still available and have an "ST" code meaning steel.

[​IMG]

I suppose that the originals could be white gold, but I would need to see it in writing from Omega to be sure.

Any reference to this in AJTT?
    gatorcpa

Archer likes this.
  9. rascjp Oct 2, 2015

Thank you all for your replies. If anyone does have this same model with the white gold bezel could you let me know if there is a hallmark and where it can be found? Without a hallmark, I would assume the bezel is steel rather than gold.

10. TNTwatch Oct 2, 2015

Does your bezel look just like the steel parts of the watch? Side by side, white gold doesn't look exactly like steel. It's most likely still a bit yellow. Vintage stainless steel bezel may show some sign of corrosion also.

11. rascjp Oct 2, 2015

Thanks for the reply TNT. It is slightly yellow and doesn't look like the steel and doesn't have corrosion. It "seems" like it's gold, but again I think it should have a hallmark somewhere.

12. Jacquot Oct 2, 2015

I love this case style and dial texture. I have this watch, which definitely has a white gold bezel, and no hallmark I've seen. I also have the plain bezel version, and that one has a nice radial-brushed SS bezel. Both of mine are in original condition.

13. TNTwatch Oct 2, 2015

Not sure if gold bezel on Omega watches would have hallmarks. Never seen it before, but I'm sure all the gold capped Omegas have solid gold bezel.

14. rascjp Oct 2, 2015

Thanks again for the replies. Jacquot, how do you know it's a white gold bezel? Did you have it tested? I'm pretty sure that the watch I have is original like yours since I have the original box and international warranty/ userguide. I'd just like to know for sure if these watches came with a white gold bezel in case I decide to sell it on.

15. TNTwatch Oct 2, 2015

Don't count on the gold amount on the bezel to sell it on. I don't think it weighs more than 5gr which is worth less than $150 for scrap gold. It's less than a steel bezel if bought from Omega or a supplier which is usually more than $200.

Edited Oct 3, 2015
  16. rascjp Oct 2, 2015

Thanks TNT. I meant if I were to sell the watch on ebay or wherever and I need to have a full description of the watch.

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 3, 2015

I can't speak to Omega gold bezels (I have never really looked at them specifically for this to be honest), but Rolex uses a series of marks to identify a bezel as being 14k or 18k gold. Not traditional hallmarks, but their own code, and obviously on the back side of the bezel, so it would have to be removed to determine if it's gold. So for watches made after 1984 for example, there will be 2 small dots punched plus a small Rolex coronet stamped, which indicates an 18k gold bezel...before 1984 the codes were different...

For the OP - you can either have the bezel removed to determine if it is marked, but since it might not be, you could always have a test done on it - rubbing it on a stone and testing with acids to verify gold content.

Cheers, Al

gatorcpa and TNTwatch like this.
  18. Jacquot Oct 3, 2015

I have read a reference that the 751 knurled bezel is gold, but haven't found it. The bezel is a different, warmer color and very reflective of light. In the flat bezel watch I have, also a 751, the color is identical. The gold content of a bezel, or even appearance, is not significant with the value of these watches. The style, movement and condition are the determining factors. The C-case watches are valued less than the more traditional Connies, but I really like them. I like the textured dial, too. I jumped on watches that had original finish, movements, and dials in great condition. Those are always harder to find.

19. rascjp Oct 3, 2015

Thanks Jacquot. I'm not sure if I'll keep it. Mine is not working properly (off and on!), so it needs a good service. Will take it to a repairer and see what they think.

20. rascjp Oct 3, 2015

Thanks Al. I'll be taking it to a repairer anyway for a quote on a service, and I'm sure they'll be able to tell me.