Constellation 168.017

So I'm definitely a fan of the C case Constellations and like the common white faced 168.017. Not exotic I know, but still a lovely looking watch. And definitely like the BOR straps which I think are more common on the Seamasters.

This one is on at £695, which is probably over the odds for such a common spec, but bear in mind this would be UK to UK so would avoid 30% or so for port taxes, fees etc.

It's on a BOR strap, and I don't think it looks like a redial. However, there seems to be damage to the bottom of the date window and I'm struggling to understand how that would happen without some work being done on the dial. However, on a different photo it doesn't look like there's any damage, so not 100% sure.

The lugs look slightly rounded from polishing. The constellation symbol on the back looks defined. It's a non-lume dial, so the hands look good.

Absolutely no idea about the actual mechanism wouldn't know a badly worn mechanism if it bit me tbh.

Any thoughts welcome.

Screenshot_20231222-222159_Chrono24.jpg Screenshot_20231222-222147_Chrono24.jpg
Screenshot_20231222-221733_Chrono24.jpg Screenshot_20231222-221819_Chrono24.jpgScreenshot_20231222-220516_Chrono24.jpg

The date windows on these are faceted, I think what you are seeing is just a reflection.

Supplied photos aren't really good enough to form much of an opinion on the condition, although I see nothing glaring.

Check eBay SOLD listings for value.

Like 1
Photos are blurry but watch looks ok to me. I would like to see clearer shot of dial The date window is faceted as noted above it is noticeable at different angles here is example on another Onega reference.

IMG_8540.png

Like 1
Struggling a bit on the photos, limited to what's been posted. I can't see anything massively obvious, here's a couple more. I realise they probably won't help much if at all.
Screenshot_20231222-225215_Chrono24.jpgScreenshot_20231222-225537_Chrono24.jpg

I have to say that I think the price is good.
It includes a bracelet in reasonable condition which, if bought separately, might cost in the region of £150-250 in the UK and you then factor in the balance as the price of the watch. A strap and buckle (whether original or replica) also have an added value.
The case is scratched but photos generally highlight blemishes that you wouldn’t notice if the watch was on your wrist.
You make a good point about UK VAT, and import duty and postage would also affect the cost of buying a non UK watch.
The price is described as 'negotiable', so you may be able to bargain the price down slightly.
The 564 movement is, in my view, probably an improvement on the 561 which many of these use.
My one anxiety is that in most of the photos the dial looks as good as the seller describes but, in one of the photos, the dial looks like it might have patina, which I personally don’t care for.
Most collectors seem to prefer the brick bracelet although I have my 168.017 on a BoR like the the one you’re considering.
Hope this helps.
I’d certainly take this further, check the possible patina issue with the seller and discuss the price. You may even go and see it before you buy it. Good luck.

Like 1
I have to say that I think the price is good.
It includes a bracelet in reasonable condition which, if bought separately, might cost in the region of £150-250 in the UK and you then factor in the balance as the price of the watch. A strap and buckle (whether original or replica) also have an added value.
The case is scratched but photos generally highlight blemishes that you wouldn’t notice if the watch was on your wrist.
You make a good point about UK VAT, and import duty and postage would also affect the cost of buying a non UK watch.
The price is described as 'negotiable', so you may be able to bargain the price down slightly.
The 564 movement is, in my view, probably an improvement on the 561 which many of these use.
My one anxiety is that in most of the photos the dial looks as good as the seller describes but, in one of the photos, the dial looks like it might have patina, which I personally don’t care for.
Most collectors seem to prefer the brick bracelet although I have my 168.017 on a BoR like the the one you’re considering.
Hope this helps.
I’d certainly take this further, check the possible patina issue with the seller and discuss the price. You may even go and see it before you buy it. Good luck.

Thank you, that's great advice. I think I'll ask for a clearer picture of the dial before I pull the trigger, just to make sure I'm 100% happy. This will be my first vintage watch, so I'm looking for something nice, but not really something that's too big an investment. Started off looking at Seamasters, but I have to admit I'm definitely more taken with Constellations.

What's certain is that without this forum I would have definitely ended up buying an over priced, redialled, frankenwatch from hell, so many thanks to everyone who's put up with me and spent their valuable time helping me. Really is appreciated.

Like 1
+1 above comments
And Chrono24 has the escrow deal so you have 7 days to approve payment transfer, and you can post lots of photos here if there’s a big problem you can make case for refund.
But agree try to get more photos first direct from seller. Keep us posted

Like 2
620 endlinks are also very rarely used, I couldn't see anything apparently wrong with the watch

Lugs/faces etc. all looked original to me but the photos aren't in an honest light

Like 3
They are really comfortable on the wrist.

upload_2023-12-22_23-29-36.jpeg

Like 1
I really like this reference and think it's great for casual wear. Although the photos are a bit blurry, I think the dial and case may be in quite good shape. The radial brushing is visible on the bezel and I can see some of the circular brushing on the case top. These cases have a polished chamfer along the side edges -- so there might not be any rounding from polishing. Further, the case back looks to be unpolished. Everything looks correct, including the crown, and I see an Omega logo on the crystal.

The bracelet may have some stretch, but I think this BOR is a correct bracelet for this reference. The brick bracelet is just more common. As for the price, it seems reasonable to me. For a good example on a bracelet, I would put these at about 800 usd.

I happen to be wearing mine today:

__P1011300_1.jpg
__P1011327_1.jpg

Like 4
I really like this reference and think it's great for casual wear. Although the photos are a bit blurry, I think the dial and case may be in quite good shape. The radial brushing is visible on the bezel and I can see some of the circular brushing on the case top. These cases have a polished chamfer along the side edges -- so there might not be any rounding from polishing. Further, the case back looks to be unpolished. Everything looks correct, including the crown, and I see an Omega logo on the crystal.

The bracelet may have some stretch, but I think this BOR is a correct bracelet for this reference. The brick bracelet is just more common. As for the price, it seems reasonable to me. For a good example on a bracelet, I would put these at about 800 usd.

I happen to be wearing mine today:

__P1011300_1.jpg
__P1011327_1.jpg

For my education, could you tell me where the Omega logo is on the crystal please? I've heard this mentioned, but not really sure what it refers to.

For my education, could you tell me where the Omega logo is on the crystal please? I've heard this mentioned, but not really sure what it refers to.
It's etched into the plastic -- dead center of the face. You can make it out in your first photo.

Like 2
It's etched into the plastic -- dead center of the face. You can make it out in your first photo.
I think it’s hard to see on your photo you need to look at but of angle here’s a picture of one you can see the Omega slightly to right of Center. IMG_8542.png
Edit it’s on inside of crystal you can’t polish it off.

Like 2

Yes! I see it! Thanks, I would never have spotted that, or if I had would have thought it was maybe etched on top of the hands.

While we refer to the logo as “etched” into crystal, as per @JimInOz , it was actually etched into the die used to mold the acrylic crystal, and is thus raised on the inside of crystal. (“bas relief” for the art/architecture crowd)
I examined an old replaced crystal from my speedy and while I think I could appreciate that is raised on inside I couldn’t be sure….
Here’s best photo I could get from inside

IMG_8545.jpeg
Reference this comment from older thread:
IMG_8543.png

Like 1
Hi everyone, so I have got a new photo of the dial. Not sure if it's a vast improvement over the others, but here goes. I can't really see any large marks or patina, but definitely haven't got the same eyes as you guys so any advice welcome. Screenshot_20240102-221852_Chrono24.jpg

Well you got good shot of crystal logo too!
Dial looks quite clean to me. Good luck looks like nice watch.

Like 1
Hi. The latest photo has quite harsh lighting, so still hard to say for sure, but putting all the photos together, the dial and watch look good. With C24 you have some time to check it out before releasing funds. Good luck.

Like 1