Forums Latest Members
  1. rascjp Oct 4, 2015

I just bought this Constellation 167.015. I know it's a watch which one can open from the front with a special tool from Omega. However, I have seen a spider like tool which claims to be able to do the same. I am very new to vintage watches and wonder if I should attempt to open up the case myself to check what movement it is or should I leave it to a watch repairer? Also, is the strap an original for the watch? To be honest I'm not that keen on it now that I have it in my possession and can see it in the flesh.If the strap is original, I may just sell the watch on to someone who would appreciate it more. DSCF0769.JPG DSCF0774.JPG DSCF0773.JPG
    As always, thank you in advance for your help and advice. I appreciate it very much.
    Andrew

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 4, 2015

I don't know about the bracelet but I wouldn't attempt opening the case, if you've never done it before.

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 4, 2015

Don't do it unless you have the proper tool and know how to use it.

Watch looks to be near mint condition and I see no reason to risk scratching that dial. It is a rather rare reference. There was little demand for non-calendar watches in the late 1960's and maybe 1 of these were made for every 10 ref. 168.0015's with the calendar.

The matching mesh bracelet was optional at the time and a very nice touch.
    gatorcpa

Jacquot likes this.
  4. Jacquot Oct 4, 2015

Lovely watch. I really like the monocoque Constellations, and this is a very nice example.

5. rascjp Oct 4, 2015

gatorcpa,
    Thanks for the reply and advice. I won't open up the case myself. I'll go to a repairer and see if he can open it up and take some pictures. Also, apologies for sounding a little crass, but what sort of value would you put on this watch with the strap that it has? To be honest the watch looks great off the wrist, but kind of strange (to me) on the wrist. I would prefer a leather strap.
    Andrew

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 4, 2015

Assuming that the crown is original (looks like it could be, but it doesn't show in the pictures), this should be priced about the same as a "C" case of the same vintage, or maybe just a little less.

I'm thinking high three-figures, maybe pushing $1,000 on the right day with the right bidders. There's probably a slight premium for the bracelet. Having never seen this particular one before, no idea on the size of the premium.
    gatorcpa

7. Jacquot Oct 4, 2015

Mine is on a dark brown Alligator strap and it looks great.

8. rascjp Oct 4, 2015

gatorcpa,
    Thanks for the reply. It7s good to know. Jacquot - yes I think a non metal strap would look better.

9. rascjp Oct 5, 2015

gatorcpa. I think the crown is original it is slight rounded on the top and has the omega symbol on it. I'll post a picture of it in time. Thanks again for your help.

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 5, 2015

It probably is original. The Omega crowns for these models fit only this case and no others.
    gatorcpa

Jacquot likes this.
  11. rascjp Oct 9, 2015

Here is a photo of the crown.

600x450-2015092500017.jpg