Forums Latest Members

Conspiracy eBay insiders buying?

1. OmegaLover Omega, please be my Valentine! Aug 9, 2018

Is it possible eBay has inside buyers? Maybe just maybe customer service sees listings before they go live? The usual delay for me is about 2 minutes before my listing goes live. But I see hot item listings that end in 30 sec to 1 min maximum before the general public can look at them. Does anyone has the same experience?

Edited Aug 9, 2018
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 9, 2018

Nope just database propagation.

Think about it if they did buy things how would it resell? Plus every coder at eBay would be aware of it and no ones said anything.

3. OmegaLover Omega, please be my Valentine! Aug 9, 2018

I am sure eBay is not aware of this and corporate would not engage in this type of business. But knowing customer service I would not be supersized some of eBay employees sure to take advantage of an early sneak peek before the general public. Buying would be easy off your iPhone. Did you know eBay has 14,100 employees worldwide as of 2017?

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 9, 2018

Yes and I know how they do compliance. Those guys doing the checks are low level employees with speed quotas. They wouldn’t have the knowledge besides how could they on anything but a buy it now?

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  5. OmegaLover Omega, please be my Valentine! Aug 9, 2018

Yeap Buy It Now. Say 99% of low-level employees do not know anything about it. That still leaves 140 employees (1%) that may know. I have met over the years few sharp guys some watch collectors. I am sure % is higher in general consumer categories like tech, computers, etc.

Edited Aug 9, 2018
  6. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 9, 2018

For anything like that to happen you would need those expert employees to sift through all of the the listings exactly as the general public does - and so the odd they would find what they like in that one minute amongst the thousands of ads would pretty much be exactly as slim as for other people.
    It looks like somebody has been spreading conspiracy theories about Ebay because I've seen another one posted on another forum.

Is a Russian company trying to acquire Ebay for a cheap price?

7. wsfarrell Aug 9, 2018

I'm sure it happens regularly.

In pre-internet days, in a university town where nice/cheap apartments were especially prized, people would take crap jobs at the newspaper office in order to see rental listings before the paper came out. The internet just speeds things up a bit.

8. optsdan Aug 9, 2018

Can’t see it happening to be honest, not worth the scandal to the shareholders.

9. OmegaLover Omega, please be my Valentine! Aug 9, 2018

You will be surprised how little new listings compare to re-listings are. For a tech-savvy guy is easy to filter results.

10. mayankyadav Aug 9, 2018

Its exactly a conspiracy theory nothing else.
    I am a computer programmer myself , coders generally don't have access to the production/live environment. Coders code and test in test environments and if everything is fine, the code gets deployed to the production env. to which select few have access.
    Besides, there are audits, logging mechanisms and several other safeguards to protect data and the integrity of the system.

WatchVaultNYC, Foo2rama and Syrte like this.
  11. WatchVaultNYC Aug 9, 2018

What an insider would need to is to sort through all of the listings and "buy it now" within the 1 minute it's not available to the public. Even if your insider somehow inserted some code into Ebay's systems to automate it all, there would also need to be a hack in place that would not flag those insider accounts that would inevitably cancel the vast majority of those orders as deadbeat accounts.

Too complicated a scam if you ask me, requires insiders at many levels, subject matter knowledge (i.e. what do I want to buy at what price), and large capital and logistical requirements (how to pay and who to sell it to). To big to be kept hidden / too complicated for just a few consipirators. I'm much more inclined to think that the 1 minute delay is just data propagating through the system.

noelekal and Foo2rama like this.
  12. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Aug 9, 2018

The deep state is everywhere.

13. abrod520 Aug 9, 2018

LOL I was gonna make a George Soros joke but decided against it

14. OmegaLover Omega, please be my Valentine! Aug 9, 2018

Come to find out, that eBay has multiple servers, listings are scrambled between all servers. Small delay and none visibility due to the server location. I think I just debunked my own conspiracy.

ConElPueblo and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  15. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 9, 2018

You mean database propagation? What I said in my first response?
    ;)

tyrantlizardrex and OmegaLover like this.
  16. OmegaLover Omega, please be my Valentine! Aug 9, 2018

I have to give it to you, good man. You were right on the first reply. I even Google definition of database propagation just to be sure.

17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 10, 2018

No worries all love !

18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 10, 2018

Glad it's not the Customs guy conspiracy again :cautious:

19. tyrantlizardrex Aug 10, 2018

I thought we'd specifically renamed that the "Standy Did It Conspiracy"?

Foo2rama, Archer and STANDY like this.