Forums Latest Members

Considering vintage pre-moon 145.012 Speedy Pro - advice please

1. Nevada06 Jan 11, 2018

Hello - Good Morning from the American West.

I am seeking advice and comments regarding a potential Omega Speedmaster Professional I am considering purchasing online. Photos follow below.

I have done research on the timepiece - read through Speedmaster101.com's site (great information!) and have looked up the movement reference via ilovemyspeedmaster.com. The movement number dates to approximately October 1968. It is a reference 145.012 SP-67, 321 calibre.

The owner has stated that it has been serviced, not sure if there is a service dial/hands on the piece (my principal concern as to appearance), or if indeed has an original bracelet. Also noted is that the chrono hand is a straight spear, which Speedmaster 101.com indicates that within this reference there may have been two types of chrono hands made concurrently with this vintage.

It is a no-return sale, no box or papers available. From what I can gather this is not an unusual situation. Ask is $6900, which is much higher than two other similar 145.012 comps have sold for recently (one auction went for $5300 and a private sale went for $5500), so would bid lower.

Any commentary/advice most welcome. Thanks.

OSP1.jpg OSP2.jpg OSP3.jpg OSP4.jpg OSP5.jpg OSP6.jpg OSP7.jpg OSP8.jpg OSP9.jpg

2. Fabulon Jan 11, 2018

Im not an expert on the 321 Speedies...but this one looks heavy polished...that alone would be a dealbraker for me!

Best

Caliber561 and BenBagbag like this.
  3. BenBagbag Jan 11, 2018

Case has been polished so much it barely has any definition anymore. Would keep me away.

4. justinz Jan 11, 2018

Pictures make it look severely polished

5. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jan 11, 2018

Very white (service ?) appearance 321

6. gdupree Jan 11, 2018

Dial appears to be washed of it’s lume, hands are not original i’m virtually positive but is hard to tell in the over exposed photos, and as others have said it’s horribly over polished. A strong stay away from me!

wsfarrell likes this.
  7. Nevada06 Jan 11, 2018

@SpeedyPhil - yes, this was my concern relative to some others in that vintage. Seems almost too nice to be original.

8. mr_yossarian Jan 11, 2018

The case is very sad, lost all textures and edges, from here on I stop the assesement already. Unless it is dirt cheap (less than 6.9k) I wouldn't consider it unless you want a project watch to rebuild which would not be worth it either, at least as it concernes me.

Nevada06 and gdupree like this.
  9. Nevada06 Jan 11, 2018

All helpful comments, much appreciated. Appears that the search will continue....

Fabulon likes this.
  10. gdupree Jan 11, 2018

Find some photos of a pristine example of the reference, and then compare some of the pieces you’re interested in with it. Notice the details when comparing: which surfaces of the case are brushed (sides), which are polished (angled facets), how sharp the edges are, the color of the lume plots, the condition of the lume plots, etc. After you look at many photos, these details will jump out at you. Until then, check back with us when you have a piece you’re interested in and you’ll catch on quickly.

Moadib likes this.
  11. Nevada06 Jan 11, 2018

Thanks for the feedback. I have considered the polishing/brushed aspects (thanks again to Speedmaster101.com), although was admittedly overlooking that b/c of initial dial concerns - which have been validated.

12. mr_yossarian Jan 11, 2018

It will all come down to your budget in the end.

If you aim at a Pre-Moon ,the 145.012 is an obvious choice, Caliber 321, AML-Dial, highest production numbers of 321 Speedies, hence most affordable...oh, wait..I had an interesting converstation about this Reference in November, with a well known Swiss Collector & Dealer. His assumption was: a couple of hundreds in excellent condition left of the 145.012. I would probably stretch that to a low 4 digit number because I'm more optimistic and not a Dealer, but truth might be not so far away from both views. I won't elaborate it here now, you can find some more here
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/ref-145-012-deconstructed-under-valued.57227/

Why am I writing this anyway? To make you aware of the two options you have to choose from. Either a honest, worn, not perfect (but in important points retaining the beauty, for example a banged case with scars over a dead piece of polished metal) but correct one within the 6,9k possible I'd say, or do something crazy and try to find one of the few remaining killer examples, which will eventually cost twice as much.
    And take-your-time!

Either ways, it's gonna be a longer road than you think :) Good luck hunting!

Edited Jan 11, 2018
    morningtundra and Nevada06 like this.
  13. Davidt Jan 11, 2018

Pass, pass, pass. The case is terrible - very overpolished, as is the bracelet. The dial has lost much of the lume and has no vintage charm or warmth left. The chrono hand is also wrong.

mr_yossarian and Seaborg like this.
  14. Seaborg Jan 11, 2018

Horrible one. Just run away...

Even the crown looks polished ::facepalm1::

Terrible washed dial as well.

Once more, run away...

15. ndgal Jan 11, 2018

I would stay away from this one.
    It's been listed on eBay for months. (another member asked about it months ago and get the same advice; RUN).
    Seller is dreaming if he thinks he can get even half his asking price.
    This watch has been so badly over polished, that they even polished the crown and pushers! (look how round they are).
    On top of that the dial has no lume, bracelet is not period correct, chrono hand it no correct.

Just run, run away...

16. wsfarrell Jan 11, 2018

and chrono creep too............

17. ndgal Jan 11, 2018

The least of its problems...

18. Toishome Jan 11, 2018

Run like the wind