Forums Latest Members

Considering this vintage Longines on Ebay, advice appreciated

1. jtulsky May 21, 2018

I really want to believe this is original, but I'm suspecting a redial. What does the crowd think?

Appreciate your advice, in advance!

Jake

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dougiedude Carpe horologium! May 21, 2018

From your photos posted, I don’t see anything wrong.

What makes you suspect re-dial?

3. jtulsky May 21, 2018

The "G" in Logines. Maybe I'm making myself crazy, but I feel like I've seen it appear differently in other similar models.

4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 21, 2018

I can’t opine on dial originality but other than that it sure looks unusual. I’ve never seen anything like that recessed circle in the middle and personally find the stains and blemishes unappealing.
    Is there a particular reason this watch drew your attention? I’m sure you could find something nicer with a bit of patience.

Seiji, airansun and Deafboy like this.
  5. Radiumpassion May 21, 2018

Cool bezel thoug...

Syrte likes this.
  6. jtulsky May 21, 2018

I'm looking for a solid gold case (14 or 18k), with a small second hand, for a reasonable price. This fits the bill, and indeed, I do like the bezel. The blemishes are a tad unappealing though. Still very undecided...

7. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 21, 2018

How long have you been searching /waiting to find one? If you're just getting started, waiting longer can be a good idea as it will give you a better sense of what's out there, what you like and don't like. You may not find another one like this as it is quite unusual, but gold watches can be priced reasonably and there's no reason to jump on the first item you see if it's not a beautiful watch in good condition.

8. Seiji May 21, 2018

My experience has been that the so called reasonable price watch is usually the most expensive in the long run. Buying quality at a little more money is better than buying just anything to fill the gap. Condition makes a world of difference for the day you decide to get rid of it. Plus you will enjoy a nice condition watch more.

You spend more money and time to get a better dial for the watch. You spend more to get it fixed. You spend more to maintain it. You loose more money trading it for something better.

tmw57, Larry S, jtulsky and 1 other person like this.
  9. dodo44 May 21, 2018

I concur with @Seiji. The exception is probably military watches, where condition is less of an issue. Gold dress watches are at the other side of the spectrum. Condition rules.

tmw57, Larry S and Deafboy like this.
  10. Gurn May 21, 2018

Hard to argue with that

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  11. Dan S May 21, 2018

It's odd to have the printing so bold and sharp on such a badly damaged dial, but the font looks good to me, and I don't know the model well enough to know whether there should be minute markers. So I'll assume it's ok. Subjectively, I don't find the condition of the dial appealing.

12. jtulsky May 22, 2018

Thanks all. Your comments are appreciated. I'm going to keep looking!

13. Seiji May 22, 2018

I don't know how experienced you are so please don't take this the wrong way. I think if you are here reading, then you must want to collect Longines. I think best to target specific models you want rather than buying what comes along. Buying random stuff is also not good. Better to buy one great watch than lots of ordinary watches. I would rather buy on credit a very collectible watch that will take me 4 months to pay off than a common watch that I can pay with one pay check. The rare collectible watch might even appreciate in two years and then you have a choice of selling or trading for something even nicer.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  14. jtulsky May 22, 2018

Thanks. I am new, indeed, and yes, am looking for a Longines with some specific features. I'll be sure to keep asking the crowd for more advice, so long as y'all will keep responding :)

15. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 22, 2018

If you're looking for a gold dress watch, this for example seems very nice - at a reasonable price.
    You'll appreciate what a world of difference it makes that it's in good condition.
    Why limit yourself to a brand?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1950s-CROTON-AQUAMATIC-14K-SOLID-GOLD-Automatic-Wristwatch-17-Jewels/282974728762?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=52344&meid=229c7584a0024b48b0e16d3ad66b4215&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=12&sd=282974698053&itm=282974728762&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    [​IMG]

GuiltyBoomerang and Fialetti like this.
  16. jtulsky May 22, 2018

Nice looking piece, though I'm looking for either a white or black dial. This guy is a bit TOO gold for my liking. Thanks for the heads up though! Also liking some of the Universal Geneve watches I'm finding, however solid gold cases seem to demand a higher price tag than Longines.

17. TropicConnie May 22, 2018

I'm very partial to Longines myself, and not long ago the gold bug bit me and I was also on the hunt for a relatively affordable piece. My search started with Longines, indeed that exact watch was once on my eBay watch list, but I ruled it out due to the dial damage. I do believe the inking on the dial is original.

I'd also recommend the brands Cyma (look for their 458 and 586K movements, as well as their chronometers) and Hamilton (Grade 770 and 982). Eventually I settled on the latter.

Edited May 22, 2018
    jtulsky likes this.
  18. ulackfocus May 22, 2018

@jtulsky - the watch you first asked about is an original dial. There were several fonts where the G in LONGINES appeared slightly bigger than the other letters. Why? I don't know.

If you want a solid gold Longines in nice shape for a reasonable price, I may know a guy. ;)

Tony C. and Jerseyhammer like this.
  19. jtulsky May 23, 2018

What-ya-got?

20. Jerseyhammer May 24, 2018

I’m no LG expert ( only have four so far) but nothing looks out of place to me . The bezel is certainly intresting .