Forums Latest Members
  1. steve999 Dec 10, 2013

HI all,
    I am interested in purchasing a solid gold seamaster and I love the looks of this one.
    Can you help me with regards to dial, originality, value, and anything else you can add.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390719407230Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Thanks

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 10, 2013

The seller, Alex is a solid guy, bought my 14K Seamaster Piepan 2849 off him, don't be put off by the fact that he's in Mexico many members have used him and been pleased.

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 10, 2013

I haven't purchased from him but I've seen many good reports on various watch forums and he generally has high quality pieces and describes any issues if they exist.

The watch looks sound, case is correctly hallmarked, a little soft on the edges but wear and normal cleaning will do that to solid gold over time.

The movement is nice and bright (some minor screw head nicks) and the dial looks to be in good condition, the crown is worn (as stated) but shouldn't be an issue.

Not a perfect watch if you are after "close to NOS", but a good honest example at the current price (which will go higher I suspect).

4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Dec 10, 2013

The dial is very unique, a plus point. The case has been polished quite a bit. Overall a decent target, from trusted source.

5. ulackfocus Dec 10, 2013

He's the one that's currently selling the franken 167.005 that has the caliber 561 under the gold pie pan dial.

6. ulackfocus Dec 10, 2013

It is a correct watch, but as mentioned above somebody got a little frisky with the polishing wheel. Great dial. I just can't see paying the price this will command. If you get two uneducated bidders fighting over it, the ending price will be way over what it's worth. I don't think any of us would buy it due to the case condition, but if you forced me to put a price on it I'd say $1250 MAXIMUM.

7. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 10, 2013

Steve, these are the guys you wanted to hear from.
    Alex is a good seller and has a faithful following whose bids can hurt the value if you are looking for a bargain.
    Dennis, above, is brutally (BRUTALLY) honest in most regards and I consider his counsel as gospel.
    If this is newer to you, be patient. If you are well-funded or experienced, that dial is cool !!

8. ulackfocus Dec 10, 2013

Nobody ever accused me of tact. :D Nobody has ever bought a total dud watch with my advice either though. ;)

9. steve999 Dec 10, 2013

Thanks for all the replies. I love the look of the dial, but i did notice the seamaster logo on the caseback is almost gone, and was wondering if that was just normal wear (I was hoping it was). I'm going to keep watching it, but i will use your expertise and wait for a "better" example.

10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Dec 10, 2013

I don't think so. The lugs are already rounded and the bevel sharpness in upper case is already gone. Rounded lugs, dull bevel and thinned out case back logo are consistent symptoms of polished watch. It is fine for daily wearer or for non WIS. It is not advisable if you want to collect it. But again the dial is very unique.

11. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Dec 10, 2013

The quality of his watches vary. Some have problems and sometimes really nice examples come up for sale. This one looks ok but the case has been polished and crown is worn. Otherwise dial is nice.