Considering Seamaster DeVille Ref. 166.020 Cal. 565

Hi, I'm looking to buy my first vintage watch and really like this model I've found on Chrono. Looking to put in an offer but really my knowledge of watches is relatively light and inquiring for any key watch-outs. Not particularly bothered with resale value so I just want to be confident in reliability and authenticity. Likely going to wear it very often as an everyday, not looking to keep it pristine but not going to treat it poorly intentionally.
31996721-17inotolxhdcti8rxe36vsw1-Zoom.jpg
31996721-gl7aq5nvtow8r810u6fmml7a-Zoom.jpg
31996721-i26vsivyzhul45032z9wr52f-Zoom.jpg
31996721-i26vsivyzhul45032z9wr52f-Zoom.jpg
31996721-9n1dzkmtgd1gpibl3rqw02u8-Zoom.jpg

Details from Chrono, seller has ~100 reviews at 4.9, but no return option:

1967 Omega Seamaster De Ville Ref. 166.020

Specs:
- Caliber: Omega 565 Automatic Movement
- Case Size: 34mm
- Lug Width: 18mm
- Thickness: 12mm
- Lug-to-Lug: 40mm
- Maximal wrist size: 18-19cm

Details:
- Gold Capped Stainless Steel Case
- Stainless Steel Case Back
- Solid Yellow Gold Bezel
- Applied Gold Plated Steel Logo
- Rare And Unique Factory Original Finish Silver Linen Dial
- Original Applied Faced Gold Plated Hours Markers
- Original Gold Plated Second, Minute and Hour Hands
- Original Acrylic Crystal with Mini Omega's Logo at the Center
- Original Crown with Omega's Logo
- “Swiss Made” at 6
- Date Window at 3
- New Aftermarket Strap and Aluminum Buckle

Working Condition:
• The movement was disassembled, washed, lubricated.
• The watch is running precisely
• Accuracy: 0sec/day

Points of Mention: Obvious minimal scratches overall on the case and bezel, The case back appears to be polished. Hairline surface scratches the glass.

ALL PARTS ARE ORIGINAL. ALL PHOTOS AND VIDEO REFLECT THE ACTUAL ITEM FOR SALE. NO PHOTOSHOP WAS DONE TO THE IMAGES

The watch looks fine. Nice dial.
My only concern would be one of the lugs. It could just be shadow but it could also be cracked which isn’t that uncommon on these references.

Also, is there a reason you’ve omitted the price?

The watch looks fine. Nice dial.
My only concern would be one of the lugs. It could just be shadow but it could also be cracked which isn’t that uncommon on these references.

Also, is there a reason you’ve omitted the price?

No sorry I haven't used this forum before either. Its listed CAD 1,250 + CAD 100 Shipping + Duties / Customs (20% I think?)

Any input on that would be great too. The dial threw me off slightly because I didn't find much similar on google - which to be fair is a major reason I like it. I'll ask the seller to confirm lug is not cracked. If it is - what can be done?

If the lugs cracked, walk away.

So about £750 GBP plus 20%. Too much for me for a gold capped DeVille without bracelet unless you’re in love with the unusual dial variant plus gold cap case.

If the lugs cracked, walk away.

So about £750 GBP plus 20%. Too much for me for a gold capped DeVille without bracelet unless you’re in love with the unusual dial variant plus gold cap case.

What would be a more fair price for it? I can try putting in an offer. The price seems to be on the lower end for Omegas that I've seen on Chrono (been perusing for a couple months). A couple others I liked were either similar/ less $ but with up to 30 secs +/-. More standard dials too. I do like the dial and watch, don't want to materially overpay, but haven't found much else at this price

The watch looks nice. I'm not personally fond of the dial, but if it's your style, then great. The price is a bit steep though, considering these aren't the most popular watches. I have the same reference but with a different dial that I bought a few months ago for €500. It's in almost pristine condition and it was serviced a few weeks before my purchase. Add €240 for the bracelet which I bought from a seller in this forum.

Basically, if you look around, you may find a better deal. I'd go for stainless steel and find a nice beads of rice bracelet.

Like 1
Agree. These can be found in steel with a more classic dial, and bracelet for similar price or not much more. Although uncommon this dial type doesn’t command a premium (if anything it’s worth less than the classic 60’s DeVille type dial) and gold plate/fill is the least desirable case type.
If you love it, go ahead, you’re not getting ripped off, but chrono isn’t the place to look for value in general.

Agree. These can be found in steel with a more classic dial, and bracelet for similar price or not much more. Although uncommon this dial type doesn’t command a premium (if anything it’s worth less than the classic 60’s DeVille type dial) and gold plate/fill is the least desirable case type.
If you love it, go ahead, you’re not getting ripped off, but chrono isn’t the place to look for value in general.

I see. Where else can I look in Canada (Toronto)? I'm open I just don't know haha. Chrono seemed reliable to me as I'm not personally knowledgeable enough to vet watches or dealers without data. Jewellers etc. seem pretty expensive.

Sales forums here. EBay.

I must’ve bought over 100 vintage watches in the last ten years and I’ve never bought a single one for C24.

Like 2
If you haven’t already looked, OF has two sales forums; Watches for Sale and Private Watch Sales.

The first forum is for OF members who sell regularly and the second for members who sell intermittently.

Like 1
OP's watch has a repainted dial, I believe.

Cool watch, and would be an ok buy at maybe 800 CAD, IMO. But like @Davidt, I've never successfully purchased a watch on C24, and TBH I gave up even looking there years ago.

Thanks, response here is actually great I'm blown away. Just to be clear - these all say SOLD so just examples of things that come up yeah? I guess I'll start monitoring the sales thread here quality is definitely high

Indeed, those are all sold. It helps to check the sale forums once in a while. Prices here are fair most of the time.

I can see that some lug tips have splitting, so I wouldn’t make any offer on it

nowadays. Lot of watches nowadays are priced high.

you can try the Downsview Flea Market at the Downsview Air Force Base. I know a dealer there on Sat. And Sun. Named Gabor. In the antique section at the left back area.

Take some pictures and get prices. Post them here with prices to see if fair and mention Canadian price. Bear in mind. Some may have finished dials (repainted), so ask if original

he’s the only dealer I know now. I Stopped restoring and stopped going to watch shows.

Email here about getting updates for NAWCC watch meets [email protected]