Forums Latest Members

Considering buying: Geneve, Blue Face, Orange Sweep, roughly 1970?

1. croyden Aug 23, 2013

Hello all, first post, any breaks of etiquette unintentional so please tell me!

I'm not a collector, but have worn a vintage seamaster for years now. I'm looking to get a new watch for myself for my 40th birthday and have been looking at this piece. I don't know it's provenance, it was bought by a reputable jeweller in England and is offered for sale by them. They have had it serviced before sale. It's going to be a watch I wear most days rather than lock away, and I'm a big fan of the look, just thought it was worth seeing if anyone had any comments or things I should watch out for before I go ahead. I'd expect to pay around £450. Only have this one picture I'm afraid, any comments appreciated. Many thanks, Simon.

geneve.JPG
    citizenrich likes this.
  2. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Aug 23, 2013

Simon. Firstly, welcome to the forum. I'm not particularly au fait with these, but from a collector's point of view, the case looks a bit over polished (though it could just be the light)

It is the sort of watch that you would pick up on eBay for about £250 so allowing for the dealer's profit and the service it is probably a fair price. Do make sure that there is some paperwork to support the "just been serviced" claim otherwise it is £150 worth of gamble. If the back has been off of the watch, the dealer must have a record of the case number. In which case, you can check the details on this web site:

http://www.omegawatches.com/spirit/history/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database

The Omega vintage database is not perfect (especially where case material is concerned) but it is way ahead of any of the other manufactures.

The other thing to check is the clasp of the bracelet, for proper markings. There are fakes of this one around (don't ask me how I know :oops:)

Finally, there are several of us Brits on the forum and I, for one, would be happy to take a trip to the dealer, if it is reasonably local, to have a look at it for you.

citizenrich and croyden like this.
  3. JohnSteed Aug 23, 2013

Simon - Welcome to the forum.

Stewart - I can appreciate your comment as the omega link will be a great help when checking out a potential buy!

Good stuff - Many Thanks.

citizenrich and croyden like this.
  4. ulackfocus Aug 23, 2013

The reference number will be 165.xxx, but I forget that exact model's full number off hand. Maybe 165.041 with a caliber 552?

croyden likes this.
  5. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Aug 23, 2013

Blue dial with orange second hand is sweet. The dial condition looks very good, the case and bracelet are already polished but still fine.
    It would be a good daily wearer.
    As price concern, I understand UK price is in high side. Stewart has mentioned it is fair as long the dealer could prove the service done.

croyden likes this.
  6. croyden Aug 24, 2013

Thank you all for the replies - I'll go back and take a closer look, see if I can track down a case number and some service paperwork. Thanks especially Stewart for very kind offer to take a look for me - will see what I can dig out with second look but might be in touch!