Forums Latest Members

Considering a Speedmaster Reduced

1. Sashashu Jan 8, 2018

Hi guys ,

Happy new year all .

As we start 2018 , i'm starting to consider getting a speedmaster reduced . I know what you guys are thinking about this watch but the main reason i get the reduced version is for the size obviously . I have a really tiny wrist that can't go over 40 mm .

Should i get an 15/20 yo one or try to get the new one ? The new one is pretty expensive ( 4500 euros ) and i guess won't hold the value properly .
    I can probably get a reduced for about 1.3/5 K on the grey market .

Thank you for your advices .

BR ,

Sasha

2. Buck2466 Jan 8, 2018

When these need servicing, the cost can be eye watering. That is why you see so many for sale and for quite cheap.

Rglaz, Sashashu and Foo2rama like this.
  3. Caliber561 Jan 8, 2018

Have you tried to professional on yet? Some find that it actually does wear decently on smaller wrists, especially on a seatbelt NATO. Also, the watch doesn't look as high as other watches that are the same height. This is because the hesalite dome actually allows the watch to seem shorter on the wrist.

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 8, 2018

Natos tend to make a watch wear larger...

The Pro wears small for a 42. Also check out Speedmaster Dates and Racing’s. They are 39-40mm and have lower service needs. 4F8DCDC7-1BE6-4CAB-AC79-471264D5AF2D.jpeg

This is a Speedy Date. There are Countless variations in color and movements.

SaintMickey and Sashashu like this.
  5. Sashashu Jan 8, 2018

I tried and it's way too big . When i'm saying tiny , it's tiny . Sadly ..

6. Sashashu Jan 8, 2018

I might consider it . It can be found for 1.5/2K which is at the edge of my limit but if i like it a lot , why not .

7. Donn Chambers Jan 8, 2018

+ 1 on this. Expect that none of those “cheap” Reduced pieces have ever been serviced and may fail as soon as you get it. These use a chronograph module attached to a base movement, so it is commonly replaced during service. That adds quite a bit to the service price, but I don’t know the exact amount.

My impression is a lot of these are put on Ebay once they have started having problems and the seller has found out how much it will take to repair. So, as with all used watches, buyer beware.

Rglaz and Sashashu like this.
  8. Donn Chambers Jan 8, 2018

Another +1 on this. These use an integrated chronograph movement, the Valjoux 7750, which is a lot better than the module used for the old Reduced Speedmasters. Just be aware of the Valjoux wobble before you buy, so you don’t ask after you buy: “The rotor on my watch is really loud. Is that normal?” : )

Sashashu likes this.
  9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 8, 2018

Some have the eta 2894 also but same advantages. The wobble are the ones with 3 registers at 12/9/6 not 3/6/9.

Sashashu likes this.
  10. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 9, 2018

Isnt 2894 is just the ETA name for the compound movement using a chrono module? it is this which is tricky to service so no, the 2894 doesn’t have the listed advantages of the 7750 IMO. My experiences of the compound module models hasn’t been brilliant. If you are happy to pay Omega for servicing they are fine, if not less so.

I too would recommend getting a 7750 or similar Speedmaster Auto it date model, they should be available second have for sub $2k

Foo2rama likes this.
  11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 9, 2018

I need to go back and look at it. The ablogtowatch article I used has issues in the movement bases. I thought I corrected the error but got it backwards. There are 2 movements used on the dates of the vintage I’m thinking about neither used a piggyback. I’ll figure it out in the morning.

12. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 9, 2018

It doesn’t help that often the same movement often has 3 or more different names. I have seen it said on another forum that ETA also designed and manufactured a piggyback chrono module like that made by DD adding yet more mud to the water.

Foo2rama likes this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 9, 2018

Yes. The ETA version of the modular chronograph is the 2894-2.

Speedmaster dates used the 7750 based movements.

Cheers, Al

14. FatPhil Jan 9, 2018

I had the same ‘issue’ and was also considering a reduced but I want with a FOIS which has a few millimeters shaved off due to no push-guards. I would give what a try, can be had second hand for <3000euros

15. simplymod Jan 9, 2018

I will offer the likely unpopular opinion. I have had several reduced Speedy’s with the DD module and they have all been tough as nails and kept time flawlessly. I wear my 3539.50 almost daily, never has needed servicing and it takes a real beating (I am in the vintage furniture biz, so really gets knocked around). Like the OP, small wrists here and it’s been one of my favorites. That said, and as others have mentioned. Should the movement fail, the usual course of action is to just replace vs repair (depending on the issue), so that is the reason a service bill can be a bit shocking.

GT_Aventus, Anders and Sashashu like this.