Forums Latest Members
  1. Jacob81 Jan 14, 2015

2. base615 Jan 14, 2015

That one's pretty expensive in my opinion.

I paid a bit more than I would have liked for mine (a steel Constellation version) and I paid about 450 Euro. With a bit of hunting around on eBay etc you can get a much better deal I think.

3. Jacob81 Jan 14, 2015

Thanks,

Most likely I can get the price down, all the papers are there, that's awesome.

Regards

4. base615 Jan 14, 2015

Very true. See how you go, if you really like it and are happy with the price then it's good. If you're not happy look for another :)

5. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jan 14, 2015

I can see why you would like the full set and the box and papers are interesting but as others have said, you cannot wear them. It does seem expensive in my opinion and at that price I would like to see evidence of a full service. But what does concern me is the bracelet, the picture is not clear but it looks to me as if the gold plate is quite badly worn on and around the clasp. I would ask for clearer photo's of this before I send my money

6. rogart ray it again, Ram. Jan 14, 2015

7. Tom Dick and Harry Jan 14, 2015

Jacob

Paul Wirdnam (electric watches) is the man to speak to. The other opinions on the thread are also quite right in that the price (B&P for this model would attract a 10% premium). The watch isn't in A1 condition by any mean and for that sort of money I would be expecting something that was NOS and some more.

The watch is not actually a Megasonic, the megsonic has a completely different movement, this is in fact an F300 produced by Omega under license from Bulova. Prices on F300 non chonograph models top out at about £800 but for that I would expect a very good/ near new Lobster.

Others opinions are also right, the plating on the bracelet is shot, visible in most images and also clearly missing large chunks on the back of the bracelet, the case is also missing a lot of plating

IMHO this is a £250 - £350 watch and I would worry that the vendor doesn't know what model it is

8. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 14, 2015

Hi,

Not too be picky but there are some use of terms that needs to be straightened.
    The "MegaSonic" name is used exclusively for the f720 movement. The f720 is a completely different bird from the f300 as in the watch advertised.
    The f300 was the Omega version of the ESA916x movement. These where licensed to Bulova for using the tuning fork technology and special index mechanism and made by ESA (ETA).
    The f720 was entirely made in-house by Omega, and for a very short time. It is a very sophisticated construction where Omega made several new inventions in order to improve the technology and also by-pass the Bulova patents.
    Paul @ Electric Watches is a great guy, and you will also find good explanations to the inner workings of a MegaSonic movement on his pages.

Good look, and happy hunting!
    :thumbsup:

9. Tom Dick and Harry Jan 14, 2015

One word of warning, Megsonics (whilst awesome movements) are notoriously difficult to work on, much of this is down to the micro motor which is oil filled and the oil congeals of time. Even STS no longer work on these as even NOS movements are not a reliable options. Brilliant watches and as Northernman points out something special from the omega history book but no easy to work on and noisy as hell

10. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 14, 2015

Paul still works on them. He repaired, serviced and cleaned mine. As pointed out the sealed and oil filled micro motor is the "missing link". If this one is bust then a donor movement is more or less the only way to go.
    The f720 is not much more noisy than a f300, but it has a higher pitch (720hz vs 300hz). At least I am not noticing any big difference between mine.