Forums Latest Members

Considering 65 Seamaster 600 purchase, looking for guidance

1. josieocal016 Dec 1, 2018

I am just starting to get into vintage omega watch research and found a watch I am interested in, but I would like some guidance on the condition. This item would be a gift, and I see some discoloration but from what I've learned so far the watch looks to be in good condition. Any verification or guidance on this specific piece would be much appreciated, this would be my first omega purchase. https://www.antiquesatlas.com/antiques/view.php?code=as579a1323[​IMG] [​IMG]

https://www.antiquesatlas.com/antiques/view.php?code=as579a1323

1965_Omega_Seamaster_600_as579a1323b-1.jpg 1965_Omega_Seamaster_600_as579a1323b-4.jpg 1965_Omega_Seamaster_600_as579a1323b-5.jpg
  2. ChrisN Dec 1, 2018

This is not an uncommon model and it looks as if the dial has some marking/degradation - very hard to tell in those photos. They offer a 12 month warranty on a movement that looks dirty and, it would surprise me if it has really been serviced. At £565, it wouldn't interest me.

The Omega movements, when cleaned and serviced usually look nice - here's a very nice one I just grabbed from my web site (it's not my watch).
    Omega-century-cal-269-movement.jpg
    If I were you, I'd take a fair time over the first watch you buy. It can be frustrating:mad: but you'll probably be happier in the end. Asking here is a good way to move forward and I hope you get what you want. £565 is a good budget for a sixties manual wind watch and possibly an automatic.

Cheers, Chris

Snowman likes this.
  3. jimmyd13 Dec 1, 2018

Welcome Josie.

This isn't an uncommon reference and you can find better examples. That said, finding a better example could take time. I wish the pictures on the site were larger but first impressions are: the case has been lightly polished to remove some marks; still retains its shape reasonably well; crown's wrong; movement shows oxidation and, given the lack of a clear statement, I would pointedly ask if it has been serviced, when and by whom.

There is the strangest statement at the end of the description:

"you can expect a genuine wristwatch supplied with a presentation box that is in full working order and sold with 12 months guarantee."

I'm not entirely sure if that just means the box will work or not.

As for price, if it's serviced and if the 12 month warranty is sound, I think it's not a bad deal at all. I buy this type of watch quite often on the open market (auctions) and, though I do tend to buy watches that are in much better cosmetic condition, I really would love to find out where people buy them cheaper. This watch would be a £2-250 watch at auction. Add on the commission, service cost, tax liability and overheads ... and the seller is making £100 out of the sale. You can try to kick them on the price if you feel like it.

Dan S likes this.
  4. josieocal016 Dec 1, 2018

Thank you Chris- I'm starting to realize that patience is going to pay off with a purchase like this and I'm so glad I found this forum. I will probably spend the next few months searching and learning before taking the plunge.

5. josieocal016 Dec 1, 2018

Thanks for all this info- it's helpful and much appreciated. I'm going to keep my eyes out over the next few months and see what else I come across. I'd like to find a similar watch with less oxidation and I agree, the pictures are a little too grainy for my liking.