Forums Latest Members

Conservator Experiments with my Navitimer 806 Dial

1. WatchVaultNYC Aug 7, 2017

So I recently dropped of an 806 dial in very poor shape with an art conservator, as sort of an experiment if someone with an art background (vs a watchmaking background) can clean and conserve the dial - in particular remove all the gunk on the indices that is very much likely dirt intrusion.

The first picture is of the watch before it was sent out.

The 2nd picture is the first experiment - the conservator used a chelating agent HEDTA (some type of alcohol conservators use) more details here:

http://www.chemspider.com/Chemical-Structure.8443.html

Well, it looks like after just swabbing the 12, 1 and 2 indices, all the gunk fell off, but it looks like the lume had fallen off as well :(

You will notice in the first quadrant, a lot of the dirt has been cleaned up

806.jpg test navi.jpg
    Edited Aug 7, 2017
    wsfarrell and dodo44 like this.
  2. WatchVaultNYC Aug 7, 2017

I just got another pic, and it looks like the lume was stripped away prior to my conservator working on it, as a picture at an angle shows that even the unworked-on indices are quite flat

test from the side.jpg
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 7, 2017

Cleaned up with a great vintage toned relume and I like.

When the lume is that far gone, I think it's a great improvement esp since that dial otherwise looks great.

watchknut, Jwit and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  4. rcs914 Aug 7, 2017

The lume on there looks like some of the dials that had been cooked to "tropicalize" them. I wonder what happened? Looks like a candidate for a clean it all off and either go with no lume, or have one of the experts apply period correct looking lume. It absolutely looks better in the after photos so far, to me anyway.

5. wsfarrell Aug 7, 2017

Art conservators are magic, and under-appreciated.

6. WatchVaultNYC Aug 7, 2017

Which begs the question - who are the experts?

7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 7, 2017

It can't be flat - does the dirt have no mass to it? The dirt is lume residue I expect.

Did the conservator understand he or she was working with radioactive material?

8. WatchVaultNYC Aug 7, 2017

The 2nd "after" pic showed that the dirt was flat, so the lume was probably stripped away a long time ago.

I explained to the conservator the lume had tritium, and she is married to a nuclear metallurgist

Jwit likes this.
  9. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 7, 2017

So what would the dirt be? and why restricted to the places that would have had lume?

watchknut, Davidt and ConElPueblo like this.
  10. ConElPueblo Aug 7, 2017

No doubt that the "dirt" is old luminous compound that has suffered from moisture and age.

Jwit, WatchVaultNYC and LouS like this.
  11. Davidt Aug 7, 2017

100% it's the luminous material that's gone mouldy/dirty.

12. WatchVaultNYC Aug 7, 2017

So it sort of gotten soft and spilled to the sides?

13. Davidt Aug 7, 2017

Yes. 1-2mm of migration over 50 years, likely due to decreased viscosity as a result of moisture ingress.

Jwit likes this.
  14. WatchVaultNYC Aug 7, 2017

Well after the dial is cleaned and that hopeless lume cleaned off, who are the usual suspects for a vintage style relume?

15. WatchVaultNYC Aug 8, 2017

Well interesting journey so far. This is what it looks like fully cleaned

test cleaned.jpg
    McJamesT likes this.
  16. WatchVaultNYC Aug 8, 2017

A layer of toluene is applied as a test on the broad areas of the dial - conservator says this is fully reversible - to protect the dial. A side effect is that it adds a bit of gloss, which also pleasantly hides some of the dial scratches.

She tried to remove the rust on the subdials by using pumice water and gentle scrubbing, but ended up stopping because it was starting to strip the paint. So the rust stays

test toluene.jpg
    ConElPueblo and Foo2rama like this.
  17. rcs914 Aug 8, 2017

The toluene looks good, but are there a couple spots that were missed? Or was she just not quite done? Looking around the center hole, as well as between 10 -11 and 1-2.

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  18. WatchVaultNYC Aug 8, 2017

This was just a test, I just gave the go-ahead and she will do the entire dial.

This "experiment" with the conservator is not done yet, but very promising. What was disappointing was that I really wanted to see if she could clean off "booger lume" while still maintaining the original lume, which I though this one had (turns out lume was decayed so bad it practically melted out of the indices).

The only other booger lume watch I have is an Ed White, not confident to have her work on that yet. So I'll probably have to pick up an "expendable" watch for her to work on.

19. Davidt Aug 8, 2017

I can't see where you'd be able to remove green lume to reveal yellow lume underneath. It's a very thin layer and when it's green/dirty, that's it.

Interesting experiment though...

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  20. rcs914 Aug 8, 2017

Honestly not sure - I just know I've seen a few people post about some of the re-lume they've had done that looks excellent, but I can't remember the specifics about the threads.