Forums Latest Members
  1. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Nov 24, 2015

image.jpeg

It would perhaps be fairer to compare this Longines Conquest to a Constellation Deluxe, but I currently don’t own a neither a Deluxe nor a 1960’s Connie, so here it goes against my 1950’s Connie.

My favourite watch – by far – is my 1956 Omega Constellation pie pan in 18K gold. I just love how the many facets reflect the light. It has a very sturdy feel to it. Last week a competitor arrived: The Longines Conquest Deluxe in pink gold. Is it able to give my dearly beloved Connie a run for its money?

Fight time!

Case:

image.jpeg image.jpeg

L

Both watches have a very nice case. I daresay both look unpolished. The Longines even almost looks unworn. However, In this case them Connie lugs eek out a victory.

Connie – Conquest 1-0

Dial

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Again, it would be fairer to compare the Longines to a Connie Deluxe with a solid gold dial, but this poor pleb doesn’t own a Connie Deluxe.

Both dials have very striking designs. The pie pan dial perhaps is my favourite design element in watches. When I bought my second pie pan a while ago, my wife commented “what you need another spiderweb dial for?”. A FSOT thread on my wife on the For Sale forum might be due. I love how it reflects the light and looks different from every angle. However the Conquest does blow the Connie out the water in that department. The mirror faceted rim and the sunburst effect make sure for a bling factor that is out of this world.

The Conquest wooed me

Connie – Conquest 1-1

Movement

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    I currently don’t have own pics of the cal. 505, so I had to borrow one from the Net.

Not commenting on technical aspects here, but the Connie looks nicer. Red gold plating and the nice swan neck fine regulator beats the rather basic looking Longines

Connie – Conquest 2-1

Medallion

image.jpeg

The Connie has one of the coolest medallions, but enamal is just 2.0 stuff

Brings me to the total score:

Connie – Conquest 2-2

image.jpeg

With a gun held to my head, I'd choose the Connie, but only because I promised it to my son. Whenever the 6 year old wee bairn sees the thing, he never fails to remind me: "that one is mine <takes another sip from his apple juice>"

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  2. Pahawi Nov 24, 2015

Both very nice - congrats:thumbsup: If they were mine, I think the Longines would get more wrist time than the Connie.....:)

3. ulackfocus Nov 24, 2015

The score should have ended up 3 - 2 in favor of the Longines because the 290 series blows away the 50x series on technical merit, but you left that category out. The winding system is more durable and efficient.

4. khmt2 Nov 24, 2015

Nice comparison! For me, the clincher for Longines is the value you get for the money - no way would you be able to get any omega de luxe for any where close to what you paid for the Longines!

dougiedude and JohnSteed like this.
  5. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Nov 24, 2015

Truth.

However, I paid more or less the same for the watches that were in battle today.

JohnSteed likes this.
  6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 24, 2015

Should have been 1-3 In my book the lugs on the Longines win

You will get a few other results ;)

Spruce and Jwit like this.
  7. JohnSteed Nov 24, 2015

:eek:

I need to do some homework :D

8. khmt2 Nov 24, 2015

They will easily maintain their value, especially for such nice specimens! :thumbsup:

9. vincereynard Nov 24, 2015

The result is clear.
    The longines is a majority winner. It is obvious that you should persuade your son to favour the Conquest

----------- and sell the Constellation to me.

10. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Nov 24, 2015

;)

I have a 9ct Omega handwinder that can go, but other than that I'm sold out.

By the way, nice avatar, made by my 1-eared compatriot.

11. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Nov 24, 2015

This thread made it worth it to have a quick peek to see what was up on Omega Forum while I was home for lunch. Both are beautiful and I'd have a hard time choosing between the two. Longines is a sentimental favorite but '50s Constellations never fail to appeal to me as well and are my favorite Omega watches.

12. emilio Nov 24, 2015

Both are awesome.

Buth I would prefer the Connie because of the shape of the lugs..

13. boat2dan Nov 24, 2015

Hard call!! Both are First Class! Mine say's hello!!

2852 t-2 007.JPG
    Als 27, BartH and noelekal like this.
  14. laughing_cavlier Nov 24, 2015

Both great watches, I would choose the connie but only because the conquest is a bit too blingy for me. All these great longines and the recent discussion (especially on the show me your longines thread) is pulling me to the dark side ...:eek: A ss conquest power reserve has migrated its way to the top of my list for next year:thumbsup:. Just need to stop spending the watch fund on other stuff.:whistling:

dougiedude likes this.
  15. LawBrk Nov 24, 2015

The recent fora buys of Conquest's have given me the bug.......love the mirror facets!

16. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 24, 2015

I would say Connie IS the winner............

Because I dont have any deluxe Conquest yet. So Dibs.

dougiedude likes this.
  17. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Nov 24, 2015

I do love both; have the Connie; but so very stoked for the 'Conquest'...

I now have one on the way:D; this one!

image.jpeg

Edited Oct 7, 2016
    mistexbs, GregH, Spike and 2 others like this.
  18. nightowl Nov 25, 2015

Both are amazing, and any sane person would be hard pressed to choose. The lugs on the Connie are nicer, but in this case, oh, I might go for the Conquest.

19. hugo Nov 25, 2015

for choosing one of them, I would go for The Conquest. I love its pink gold colour and ring around the miniute mark. but keep them all is the easiest choice I think.

mistexbs likes this.
  20. Crossfire Nov 25, 2015

I like more the dial in Constelation but both are superb watches