Forums Latest Members
  1. Dablitzer Apr 29, 2013

Just got this connie through today as it was cheap, not particularly rare but I was astonished at how clean it is. The watch is currently not working so I will need to send off for a service but the case is sharp and the medallion hasn't seen daylight ! The dial is untouched, subtle tu-tone, any blemish is on the crystal.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367228915.887807.jpg

Starting to like this case style a lot, I have a version with rose markers and black dial which will be its dressier equivalent.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367228951.120755.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367228971.722823.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367228987.370957.jpg

This will replace a Seamaster as a daily beater! Any ideas as to why its not ticking?? (10 points gone to Achim..)

Tritrium likes this.
  2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 29, 2013

Agree with you.....the dial and the case are sharp. Hope it is only a simple case of congealed oil. Worst case you still can find find a movement donor.

3. Dablitzer Apr 29, 2013

I hope so. The movement looks very clean, the balance wheel isn't moving at all, the bumper rotor seems to be ok. It's movement fine, just not powering the watch! I've decided to collect all these shark tooth arrows In various case styles and designs.

4. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Apr 29, 2013

will be an easy fix; the drive train needs attention. a mvmt. service will cure it. but if you do not like it, send it over......good buy ! kind regards. achim

5. Dablitzer Apr 29, 2013

Thanks Achim. It didn't look too serious, I'd love to learn more about Maintainance. I shall indeed give you a shout if I decide to move it.

Kind regards, Alex

6. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 29, 2013

Hi Alex.
    You have a rare dial there, congrats. Would you please do me a favor, I like to have a close up at the dial to keep as a record. The shape of the logo looks very much the same with my 2887. Thanks.

Best regards.

Dablitzer and NT931 like this.
  7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 29, 2013

A treasure find. Congrats Alex........

Dablitzer likes this.
  8. Dablitzer Apr 29, 2013

Hi Hoi,

That's great news. No problem at all. I shall send it over this evening. What does your 2887 look like ?

Best Regards

9. ulackfocus Apr 29, 2013

Nice watch, but I have to pick this bone about your terminology: it's not a daily "beater", it's a daily "driver". On watch forums, "beater" implies you wear it without regard for dings, scratches, and abuse when you mow the lawn, work on the car, clean the pool, etc. "Driver" means it's an every day casual watch.

This has been a public service announcement. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

10. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 29, 2013

Hi Alex

Here's the logo on my 2887, check and see if they are in the same shape. I am collecting pics and info to write something like "Omega funny fonts"

[​IMG]

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 29, 2013

Ω Great spotting Hoi, love to see a close up of Alex's , but they sure look the same. Ω

12. Dablitzer Apr 29, 2013

Terminology acknowledged! Thanks Dennis. It won't be worn like that now that it's 'uncommon' ;) but good to know for future drivers!

13. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 29, 2013

Hi Steve.

Seems like long time ago, Omega already had a "supplement production line" or something like that. These dials have that kind of logo and the fonts were printed kind of more casual than the main line.
    When I bought my 2887, I thought it was a redial and intend to let it go but after reading Desmond's Black sheep 2887, I compared the fonts and logo, mine is exactly the same with others.
    Now comes this dial with that kind of logo, Omega printed in ink with a funny font (but original), it's something special to learn more.

14. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 29, 2013

Makes you wonder. Maybe at times they ran out of primer dials and the equipment was busy with other assignments; so then it was, "run 100 dial with this script off on the old press" or, "call Chevalier Dial and tell them we need 2000 Constellation dials."
    Product was product.

15. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 29, 2013

Agreed on that, the manufacturer and the consumers look at the product that way. We, the collectors, love rare and special things more than just a product.

Like this one

[​IMG]

Dablitzer likes this.
  16. Dablitzer Apr 29, 2013

So it's to do with the curvature of the Omega symbol?

17. Alpenschneerot Apr 29, 2013

Hi Alex,
    nice case and movement, but I think it`s a redial. The script is too irregular in my mind.
    Please look at Desmonds homepage, Star of the month or the page wannabuyawatch.com. with a similar dial of the same reference.
    Don`t be angry, I don`t want to hurt anyone, but it`s my opinion.
    What do the other Omega freaks think?
    Reiner

18. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 29, 2013

That's an original dial - that script is a variant that I have seen more frequently with cal. 501 connies and a few seamaster chronometres as well.

19. Dablitzer Apr 29, 2013

Evening Reiner,

No offence taken. I don't know much about these early constellations but going off what Hoi & Msn say I believe it to be an original variation, unusual, but original, the dial looks too good to be redone, it also doesn't make sense to me because the case and movement are pristine. I'm in the process of taking close up pictures.

kind regards, Al.

20. Dablitzer Apr 29, 2013

A few higher resolution pictures..

DSCN1219.JPG

DSCN1218.JPG

DSCN1225.JPG

DSCN1224.JPG

Unfortunately I cannot move the seconds hand as it is stuck. As you can see the dial has little age.