Forums Latest Members

Condition, condition, condition.... as Mike demands...

1. mac_omega Aug 24, 2013

Hi fellows,

I have been lucky in a today´s brick and mortar auction house via telephone bid.

Here it is another rectangle from around 1936 to add to my collection:

40 mm lang RS 91.jpg

Still with sharp edges all around although made of soft sterling silver...
    Silver is a little tarnished - a sign that it has not been polished.

with an old (I think original) strap and matching vintage silver buckle.
    Strap looks unused - see the holes.

schließe.jpeg

Turning it around: only light surface scratches, nothing serious. All edges crisply defined.
    Watch looks virtually unworn.

außen.jpeg
    And here comes the heart, a pristine Cal 20 F
    shining brightly, no tarnishing on the silver plating, intact screw heads - seems to be untouched...

werk.jpeg

No wrist shots yet as I will receive it in about ten days I guess.

Enjoy!

Erich

Rman, toddle321, rhetoric and 11 others like this.
  2. ulackfocus Aug 24, 2013

Wow, original dial too? Smokin' find!

3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Aug 24, 2013

Stunning...........an almost 80 years NOS

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 24, 2013

Nice catch!

5. Dablitzer Aug 24, 2013

Sweet find! ;)

6. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Aug 24, 2013

Whenever I get another package delivered to my desk at work, a co-worker who could care less about old watches comments, "is it another round watch?"

Maybe this is what I should be chasing. What a beauty! It's a fantasy to stumble on 80-year old new stock watches like this. Congrats!

7. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 24, 2013

Boy, that's some luck ! Excellent catch Erich.

8. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 24, 2013

Nice find! I like the art deco style dials like this one too.

9. ulackfocus Aug 24, 2013

I know what you mean. :p Variety is nice, but you like what you like so go with it.

10. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Aug 24, 2013

A stunning Watch in a stunning condition. Congratulations, nice pick! Those 20F are not often found in such great condition.

This model is the AR 885 20 (AR stands for Argent = Silver in French, 885 is the model reference, 20 stands for 20F, some references have been produced with different movements, 23.7, 20F and T17). I have spotted it in this 1931 ad which célébrates the launching of caliber 20F :

[​IMG][​IMG]

(the page was too big for my scanner, I had to scan it in two parts)

and in the 1933 catalog :
    [​IMG]

(It is also in the 1931 catalog, but mine is too fragile and I can't put it in my scanner without risking to damage it, so I can't post a picture).

Interesting to note that the dial/hands configuration is identical to the 1931 ad.

11. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Aug 24, 2013

Awesome!

Is there a sticky-post for original manufacturer brochures/tech manuals etc.? If not, am I allowed to recommend it without being able to contribute to it? :(

citizenrich likes this.
  12. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Aug 24, 2013

Good idea! We have a thread over on the open discussion for forum suggestions

13. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Aug 25, 2013

very nice and stunning for a silver case. mine are a bit more worn; incl. the dials::::::::::::::: kind regards. achim

here are a few : enamel marker dial on S/S case. sold to the omega museum a few years back; displayed in the museum.

[​IMG]

my favourite ( all caliber 20) is S/S wing case with enamel markers :
    [​IMG]

very long silver case : [​IMG]

S/S case with NOS all original dial and a very long back:

[​IMG].

very long steelcase with 20F and a discoloured & worn dial. 20 mm band; which is rare for that period :
    [​IMG]

14. mac_omega Aug 25, 2013

Nice watches! I knew you have several of them... But I do not understand why you have parted with the above one - maybe they had offered you a small fortune for it?

15. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Aug 25, 2013

something along these lines......

16. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Aug 25, 2013

Nice watches also!

A couple of mines to continue this post :

A silver 23.7 (unknown ref) with original patina dial around 1931. Quite large for that year (26x31cm without lugs or crown) :
    [​IMG]

A little 19.4 (ref CK CK679) with original dial quite well preserved :
    [​IMG]

A silver 20.F (ref AG 891.20) probably redialed :
    [​IMG]

A nice T17 (ref CK 976) around 1936 with original and very clean dial. I think it also has original band and buckle :

[​IMG]

A 20F (CK 901) sold in 1933 (I have the original certificate) also similar to another one presented above :
    [​IMG]

JimInOz, UncleBuck and mac_omega like this.
  17. mac_omega Aug 25, 2013

Tire-comedon,

you seem to be a kind of black hole for rectangles similar to me :)
    I avidly collect rectangles, also Patek and Rolex Princes... but for the price of one Prince you can buy several Omegas! ;)
    I like the published ADs you showed above - do you have some more? I would be very interested to see some more references.

thanks and kind regards

Erich

18. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Aug 25, 2013

Hi,

I must confess that I have a weakness for all Omega wristwatches made before 1950, whether rectangular, square, round or other funny shape. I have until now succeeded in being reasonable enough not to turn to Rolex. Not that I don't like them, but Omega are more affordable.

I have accumulated quite a bunch of catalogues (1917, 1926, 1931, 1933, 1941...) leaflets and ads. I also have some technical booklets of this era. I will scan some more (trying to focus on rectangular ones) and post them this evening.

By the way, are you only on rectangular or do you also like square ones like this one (I love it) :

Medicus CK 651 with a 23.4SC from 1936, in rather good condition, with its original dial :
    [​IMG]

Or this large and rather unusual (I was Lucky to find it, I have seen only two other ones) Armure from 1929, the super antichoc Omega of this era, with a 23.7, also with original dial :
    [​IMG]

Please show me also some of the ones you own!

JimInOz likes this.
  19. mac_omega Aug 25, 2013

The Medicus is to die for :thumbsup: I am on the hunt for one but most of the offered examples have bad dials...
    Never saw the Armure before - interesting piece!

20. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Aug 25, 2013

Quite difficult to find in a good condition, I have another one that I bought before I found the one I posted. The dial is original but damaged :
    [​IMG]

The Armure is a funny Watch. The glass and the crown are protected by the bezel and you can open it to put it on a table like a desk clock. A bit like the Diplomat Pocket Watch of the thirties.

Not attracted by the 1936 marine diving watch?

noelekal and LouS like this.