Forums Latest Members
  1. Flintlock May 11, 2019

I have seen that after applying cold from water or ice on the top of the crystal condensation is seen as a sign of waterproofing failure. Maybe I have it wrong but it would seem to me that it would only mean the air in the watch had some humidity. It is normal for humidity to condense on a cold surface. Am I missing something?

Steve

AdInfinitum likes this.
  2. 77deluxe May 11, 2019

If I’m understanding/reading your post right, you need moisture to get condensation, moisture would be present inside the watch.

3. AdInfinitum May 11, 2019

I agree with OP as air ALWAYS has some moisture (even in Death Valley it is never below ~10% relative humidity in the summers), there isn't some magical dessicant inside the watch case that removes all moisture... same high school phys/chem principles that explain why eyeglasses fog up when one enters a +20C building after wearing them outside in -30C weather

Water resistant does not mean airtight, warm room air will continually "leak" into a case (with resultant water vapor condensation if the parts are extra cold); if you expose a watch *repeatedly* to a large enough temperature difference like above, the condensation effects on movement and dial may become significant over time. More of a concern for those living in Canadian/Alaskan and similar climates :)

77deluxe and Flintlock like this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 11, 2019

You are correct - presence of condensation is not necessarily an indication of water intrusion, and can simply be from the water content in the air inside the case.

Google Sinn and look at their dehumidification technology for their watches.

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. 77deluxe May 11, 2019

Isn’t the condensation an indication of too much moisture inside the case?

6. Canuck May 11, 2019

Moisture on the underside of the crystal tells me that there should be some concern about where the water migrates to, when it is no longer on the crystal!

77deluxe likes this.
  7. 77deluxe May 11, 2019

This (emphasis added) :)

George.A likes this.
  8. Flintlock May 11, 2019

The moisture (liquid) would return to its gaseous state as it was originally. IMHO

9. AdInfinitum May 11, 2019

Thanks for the link to support my statement that no desiccant currently removes all watch case moisture, in absolute terms.

Specifically, Sinn covers their derrière by writing:

"...measures are intended to keep the movement in a protective environment which is almost completely dry"

"To minimize the exchange of gas between atmospheric air and that inside the case, and thus the penetration of atmospheric moisture, we only use Extreme Diffusion-Reducing (EDR) seals in watches featuring Ar-Dehumidifying Technology. These seals reduce the infiltration of moisture in the case to as little as 25% of the value permitted by conventional case seals"

Certainly commendable as a novel horological achievement in the quest to mitigate* a real problem in horology. And possibly quite profitable for Sinn if collectors have to ship their watches off every time that infernal blue dot appears ;) would still love to add one to my collection one day!

10. ScubaPro Actually dives with dive watches!!! May 11, 2019

Condensation on the crystal means there's a leak somewhere. The bad part about the Sinn technology is it can cover this problem up, and you continue to dive with the watch until the leak gets bad enough to do some real damage. What's better is noticing some condensation and taking it in and getting a service before it gets really bad.

AdInfinitum likes this.
  11. 77deluxe May 11, 2019

Right, but the presence of visible moisture is indicative of a problem.

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 11, 2019

You are welcome...you may find Google helpful for other searches as well. :)

Of course Sinn covers their butt, like all watch companies do. But the point I was making was that some companies do provide solutions for absorbing moisture. You will note that neither Sinn or I make claims that it’s magical. ;)

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 11, 2019

If you are referring to condensation during a proper condensation test, then no it’s not necessarily an indicator of a problem.

Flintlock likes this.
  14. 77deluxe May 11, 2019

If a proper condensation test is performed on my sea dweller, and there is visible condensation present inside the watch, It may be fine?

15. AdInfinitum May 11, 2019

See, not so hard to make a statement without telling me to Google something I already knew about...

Let's reserve our condescension for the first-post geniuses asking directly about watch valuation... ::stirthepot::::stirthepot:: cheers

16. 77deluxe May 11, 2019

Wait, am I approaching this from the perspective that every watch is a diver, and that what would be problematic in a dive watch may not be in a dress watch with a lesser water resistance rating? Or am I missing the boat completely?

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 11, 2019

I’ll be more obvious next time. :)

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 11, 2019

It depends how much, and for how long.

19. Canuck May 11, 2019

Since vapour trapped in the watch tends to condense on the coolest part (i. e. under the crystal), your contention seems to be that it is not possible that it might not likewise condense elsewhere when the crystal warms up? Think about it! I live in a very dry climate. I don’t run into a lot of watches with condensation in them, unless they have leaked.

20. Flintlock May 11, 2019

I don't know enough to have a contention. I was just thinking about the subject. In response to your question I would think if the moisture was previously a gas it would return to that state when the crystal warms up. And yes, if an internal part could be cooled much cooler that the rest as the ice did to the crystal then it would condense on that part. I'll do an experiment tomorrow (on the glass) but not a scientist.

Edited May 11, 2019