Forums Latest Members

Condensation inside crystal

1. JohnWoo Mar 30, 2021

Can anyone please point me to a thread that advises on remedies for condensation appearing inside a watch crystal?
    Thank you in advance.

2. redpcar Mar 30, 2021

What are we working with? Pics?

3. Medinatalzahra Mar 30, 2021

Yes, pics please..... M

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 30, 2021

Immediate service.

5. Canuck Mar 30, 2021

Look at the very top of the OB page and locate the magnifying glass. Touch it. A menu will appear. Locate the subject line, and type in CONDENSATION. You will find many threads that discuss the causes and solutions for condensation. Probably more information about case and cure than you will want to know.

Duracuir1, JohnWoo, kkt and 3 others like this.
  6. JwRosenthal Mar 30, 2021

To a watchmaker stat! You got water in there. Put it in a ziplock of rice with crown in the out position- rice will act as a desiccant but won’t get into the watch.

JohnWoo, kkt, Scarecrow Boat and 2 others like this.
  7. Evitzee Mar 30, 2021

Rice....just like the giant cell phone you see in the Liberty, Liberty insurance ad in the US. "C'mon, rice, do your thing".

noelekal likes this.
  8. SkunkPrince Mar 30, 2021

If it's a very old watch that isn't sealed... don't panic. Window-sill, sunny day.

Duracuir1 likes this.
  9. Joe_A Mar 30, 2021

I've been thinking about starting a thread on this subject myself.

I had this happen to two watches that were already serviced not long before the two separate incidents.

I was having a house built and it was a hot and humid late summer day and I went from outside to inside for a while and then back out again and it was only then that I found the watch completely fogged up. The AC inside was high.

First time was a Gallet MC-45M with no lume and blued hands. I took the back cover off and let it dry out in a low-humidity environment and there was no discernible damage or ill-effects. Dial remained pristine. I vowed to never let that happen again. ;)

In September on a similar day and with the AC up especially high in the home that was still being worked on by contractors, I was wearing my Enicar Sherpa graph MK III that had just been serviced and had its rusty painted over central hands replaced with NOS hands that were pristine.

The watch fogged up badly, only this time as I dried it out, a very small bit of rust from one of the steel paddle hands very slightly discolored the lume.

Before:

JPA-MkIII-092320.jpg

Immediately after:

ESG-092820-1.jpg

Just one single exposure . . . and never again if I can help it.

It no longer surprises me now when I see a watch with rusting hands.

How do vintage watches survive the tropics and still look good?

Edited Mar 31, 2021
    JohnWoo, JwRosenthal and DaveK like this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 31, 2021

It really depends on how much condensation. If there is a just a small spot in the very center of the crystal, it may go away on it's own, or you could dry it by putting the watch under a lamp to just warm it up.

If it looks like this:

[​IMG]

Or this:

[​IMG]

Or this:

[​IMG]

You need to get it to a watchmaker as soon as possible. There are very few watchmaking emergencies, but water inside is one of them, so when I get a watch in with water inside, I drop everything and get it apart as soon as possible, to get the parts in the cleaning machine and stop the rust.

Cheers, Al

Pazzo, JohnWoo, kkt and 7 others like this.
  11. Joe_A Mar 31, 2021

A point I wished to make above is this one, found by Googling: "What causes condensation in a watch?"

The the obvious things we all know about, worn gasket, taking for granted wording on the watch case about degree of water proof, forgetting to take the watch off in the shower, etc.

But the condensing humidity issue I ought to have known better about as I am involved in the electronic equipment industry where paying attention to such things is important.

An oversight can be costly . . .

Changing environment
    A sudden the change in weather condition when you go Moving from warm environment (or hot weather) to a very cold environment ( cold weather) can cause cloudy moisture in your wrist watch. Leaving a warm room and walking in a cold winter night is enough for fog to build in your watch face.

Sudden Temperature(weather) change
    Another cause is related to high temperature. carrying a watch under hot weathers(high outdoor temperatures) my cause some air trapped inside the watch face to liquefy(turn into water droplets) when the sharply temperatures falls or when weather suddenly turn chilly.

JohnWoo likes this.
  12. JohnWoo Apr 1, 2021

Thanks to all for the insights.
    Sorry no pics. It's a 1970 Constellation cal 1001.
    Sold it on eBay last week and the moron took a shower while wearing the watch.
    Sold as 'not water resistant' but he did it anyway.
    I've sent him your suggestions, I agree a watchmaker would have been my first option just in case of serious damage.

13. SkunkPrince Apr 1, 2021

Geeze. That would definitely be a "not my fault, dude" though it's clear he's not blaming you for it.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  14. JwRosenthal Apr 1, 2021

Sucks to know a nice watch ended up in the hands of a moron. It would hurt to know one of mine went down like that. But agree- not your problem, nice of you to offer suggestions to help the dolt out.

15. JohnWoo Apr 1, 2021

Tried to help but he wants to return it as a faulty item.
    Contacted eBay they say he's at fault.
    Like leaving the top down on the car when it's raining, the dealer would not be responsible for the any damage [eBay quote].

16. shishy www.hpmor.com Apr 1, 2021

Why even wear a watch into the shower? Then you can't soap that part of your wrist!

kkt likes this.
  17. SkunkPrince Apr 1, 2021

Based on what @Archer said, I'd tell him to get it to the watchmaker forthwith.

JohnWoo likes this.
  18. JohnWoo Apr 1, 2021

Done that, hope it empties his wallet!

19. kkt Apr 1, 2021

This is like leaving the top down when you take it through the car wash. The buyer is, well, I hope he takes your advice of having it serviced right away.

Joe_A and JohnWoo like this.