CONCORD “Saratoga” Automatique ref. 14.49.1894 cal. ETA2892-2 Integrated Bracelet in Stainless

When I consider which watches I own that I would consider outstanding bargains this one rises to the top. I was browsing through the Sales Forums looking for a Pie Pan Constellation, going a few months back just in case something had slipped through the cracks. And this Concord pops up, offered by member Knafel1983. This isn’t a brand that is much in the news these days, which is to my benefit. But I am of an age where I recall when Concord was considered in the same breath as just about all the big guns. Their model that was really hot around the turn of the century was the “Mariner”, reminiscent of the Constellation “Manhattan”. As a jeweler I had secured a couple of these for clients, and respected the quality and workmanship. I do not recall noticing the “Saratoga” back then, but did later. Somewhat expensive, like $4000 as I recall. Not only were they one of the first “Royal Oak”-ish integrated bracelet watches, but I especially liked them because I had lived in Saratoga Springs for a couple of years.
DSC05852.JPG
Bracelet @ widest: 22.60 mm, linear brushed w/polished articulated mid-links, full and half links secured with 1 screw on each side
Bracelet @ narrowest: 18.85 mm, not including push buttons
Bracelet thickness: 5.40-4.50 mm, not including deployant clasp
DSC05868.JPGFrom my research it would appear that this watch was made around 2004. What stands out to me is how similar it is to a couple of current, very popular, integrated models, the Maurice LaCroix “Aikon”, and the Christopher Ward “Twelve”. I don’t think the “PRX” is really in the same class. Both the LaCroix and CW will run you around a grand on the secondary market. Knapfel1983 let me have this for half that, and it came with box, papers, and all links. That is less than they are currently available for, but only by a hundred or two. I mention that because someone looking to find a fine integrated bracelet watch would be hard-pressed to find a better-made timepiece in this segment. With the watch in hand I can tell you that every visible surface of the movement is decorated. The case, bracelet, and clasp finishing are also top drawer. The dial and furniture will blind you. Not sure about other colorways, but this blue dial has a bit of dichroism to it, going blue to purplish with different lighting. And that is my brief take on what a “bargain watch” is.
Movement: cal. ETA 2892-2 “top” grade; 21 jewel; Automatic, 28800 bph; adjusted
Engraving on Movement: On rotor: Concord. On bridges and plates: Swiss; Twenty One 21 Jewels. Under balance: ETA emblem; V8ZD5; 2892-2
Engraving on outside case back: Water Resistant; 5 TAM; 12856XX; 14.49.1894
DSC05903.JPG
DSC05907.JPG Clasp @ widest: 21.90 mm, “butterfly” w/buttons, signed
DSC05904.JPG
Spec sheet:
CONCORD “Saratoga” Automatique ref. 14.49.1894 cal. ETA2892-2 Date SS
Case @ widest: 37.00 mm, w/o signed crown
Case @ narrowest: 23.00 mm, linear brushed w/polished detachable bezel
Case Width w/guard: 40.70 mm, hinged guard, signed
Case Length: 40.25 mm
Case Depth: 9.25 mm w/crystal
Bezel Width: 34.95 mm, octagonal
Crystal: 27.95Dia mm, in watch. Flat corundum
Crown: 5.60Dia mm, push-pull, signed
Case Back @ widest: 34.55 mm, exhibition, secured by 4 screws

DSC05841.JPG
Timegrapher 1900 readings: +5-6 seconds a day; 273 degrees of amplitude; 0.0 milliseconds of beat error; 51 degrees lift angle