Forums Latest Members
  1. Gasgard Jun 3, 2019

I'm new to Omega and wanted a nice trench cushion case watch. I just pulled a trigger on an interesting looking old Omega trench watch. I felt good about it and the seller seems trustworthy, but this is starting to feel like quick impulse buy that might bite me in rear. I looked up the case and movement numbers and they seem to be potentially close in years. 1917~1920 from my estimation). Attached are a couple of pics from the listing..... Omega trench 1.jpg Omega trench 2.jpg Omega trench 3.jpg
    I was just told on another place that this isn't even a trench watch. I think I bit off more than I could chew with this one. I know the band, crystal and crown aren't original; the seller indicated this. That being said the hallmark and Omega logo being stamped on the back kinda threw me off. How badly did I get ripped off?

dabbispade likes this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 3, 2019

The slightly cracked porcelain dial and movement look original to about 1920, which is consistent to the serial numbers. These should be close, but should not match.

It is unusual, but not unheard of, for the Omega mark and case serial number to be on the outside of the case. However, we tend to get nervous about authenticity when that does happen.

It is also possible that this is a re-cased ladies pocket or pendant watch, possibly done by an Omega dealer in the 1920’s. That was also a common practice.

Have you had the case tested for gold content? Is there any way to get a picture of the inside of the case back?
    gatorcpa

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. Gasgard Jun 3, 2019

Hey thanks for the info! Yes here's the pic provided from the listing of the inside of the case back

Omega trench 4.jpg
    I haven't gotten the watch in my possession yet, so I haven't been able to test anything yet. I didn't know this was a ladies size, it was described as being 31mm without the crown.

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 3, 2019

@gatorcpa perfectly said. I was expecting people to call it an instant fake case, but I agree this might be one of the exceptions to that rule.

5. dputydwg1 Jun 3, 2019

I would not think of that one as a trench watch. I would try to find other pictures with the same hallmarks that the case has on the back.

6. dabbispade Jun 3, 2019

What ever it is the dial is in quite nice condition for its age.

7. dputydwg1 Jun 3, 2019

I would love to have an enamel dial watch in my collection, just have never found one that I "had" to have!

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 3, 2019

Actually, that’s a pretty standard size for a man’s watch in the 1920’s. However, many watch companies used movements that were originally intended for ladies watches in early men’s cases.

Here is an example.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://www.hamiltonchronicles.com/2013/05/1918-aviators-watch-trench-watch.html?m=1

The fact of the matter was that no one cared too much about wristwatch sizes between men’s and ladies watches until the late 1930’s.
    gatorcpa

DaveK, connieseamaster and Foo2rama like this.
  9. Gasgard Jun 3, 2019

Ohhhh I see, hmm interesing. Didn't know re-casing was a normal thing back then.

I love the design of these square cased watches, I've been calling them trenches all this time haha. The offset crowned square cased ones are amazing too. What would you describe this kind of watch? Cushion case watch?

I thought so too, the numbers really stuck out to me.

gatorcpa likes this.
  10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 3, 2019

Those Hamilton watches were not re-cased. The movements were old unused movements that had been sitting in their inventory for years.
    gatorcpa

11. Gasgard Jun 3, 2019

Ah I understand now, makes sense. When it arrives I'll post some more pics to get your opinion, if that's okay. I'm not as worried as I was before thinking, but still weary haha.

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 3, 2019

@Gasgard yes cushion if it’s square with rounded sides. Square has flat sides.

13. Gasgard Jun 4, 2019

It's weird, I got better results/hits for watches with this case type using "trench watches" instead of "cushion case watch". The real trench watches were there, but also these cushion cases.

14. JwRosenthal Jun 4, 2019

Many people think that any wire lug watch is a trench watch but that’s a misconception. Many of the early civilian wrist watches were wire lugged, even if not converted pocket watches. 31mm was actually substantial for the time, it’s a mans watch. You can get two piece straps for these that will fold over the lugs and wear it like a classic wrist watch, they look very smart on a Perlon strap, and if you want the trench look, you can get something from here:

http://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/index.php

I have 3 oif David’s straps (including a NATO MKII I wear in Mil Benrus ) and they are wonderful

15. dputydwg1 Jun 4, 2019

@JwRosenthal, glad you posted this as I was going to if no one else did. The Borgel cases are of interest to me. Would love to see one in person.

16. Gasgard Jun 4, 2019

Wow, hey thanks so much for the info and advice. Yeah I think its exactly how you said, lol my thinking was the misconception you stated. I understand now, I think I'll go the two piece route.....