Forums Latest Members

Complete novice looking for a little direct advice thanks

1. RedPhil Mar 17, 2017

Hi everyone

I've been reading around the forum for a little while - and other internet resources - as I'm looking to purchase an Omega Seamaster circa early 1960s. It's for daily use not for collecting etc, I have in mind what I'm after, you'll see from the links to some ebay auctions. My budget is around £400 tops. I appreciate that it is a big ask but would be very grateful if anyone could have a look at the following listings, I just need to make sure I'm heading down the right path.
    I've read the recommendations and how to spot a fake / redial threads, these look OK to my untutored eyes, anyone able to lend me the benefit of your experience.

This is BIN £425 – closest to the style I’m after, acceptable level of wear and ageing top end of my budget
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENTS-STA...674706?hash=item58f140c092:g:tycAAOSwsW9YysXnPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

This from the same seller BIN £425 - not exactly what I’m after, again acceptable level of wear and ageing again top of my budget
    http:// http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENTS-VINTAGE-CAL-552-OMEGA-SEAMASTER-AUTOMATIC-WRIST-WATCH-/382001514517?hash=item58f1108815:g:-hYAAOSwWxNYxxQwPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

BIN £360 – love the look of this, lot of patina on dial puts me off a bit and no photo of the movement or inside of the case
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AN-OMEGA-...523590?hash=item5696859246:g:d0YAAOSwax5YyEdzPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

BIN £385 – right up there but no photo of movement
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-Sea...931543?hash=item2eff500b97:g:bZcAAOSw32lYxsSXPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Auction £450 – is this too good, or is it a good service
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1961s-VIN...685415?hash=item41bf8edde7:g:uCMAAOSwXYtYvsbyPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Appreciate any help guys

Regards Phil

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 17, 2017

Make sure you read the listings carefully. The last one is a redial they're asking 450.00 pounds for. Have you looked at the OF Sales Forum? You'll get your best bang for your buck (or pound) and if the seller screws you over, we collectively hunt them down and force them to wear this for a year.
    [​IMG]

3. tyrantlizardrex Mar 17, 2017

Hey @RedPhil

The first two are from Mad-Albert, I've bought stuff from him before, sometimes you get a deal, sometimes you send stuff back, he turns over a lot of watches and jewellery, often not the best stuff you can find.

Whilst everything you've listed fits into your age/price criteria, it's all quite worn, and all looks like it's in need of a service, for which you'd need to add another £200-£450 depending on who you get to service the watch.

As much as it's a bore to wait, you'd be better to tuck away a bit more cash and get something that you won't regret later.

As @efauser says, the sales forum here has some great stuff come through it... patience is key. ;)

Cheers

Chris

4. ConElPueblo Mar 17, 2017

So the OF task force has ditched the Invicta, eh? Saves on luggage, I'd expect.

@RedPhil - none of the watches are really that attractive to me, but happy to see that you are doing some qualified assesments on your own :)
    No doubt a really nice one will materialise soon... And it is always more satisfying to pull the trigger, if you have done the ground works yourself. Watching the sales forum here is a good advice.

5. RedPhil Mar 18, 2017

Thanks very much friends, your advice is much appreciated. May i tap into your knowledge a little further and ask what is it about these that makes them unattractive to your expert eyes, I'm sorry to ask but I'm trying to learn.
    On the last item I linked to, which has since sold for £450 on ebay, link reproduced here for convenience
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1961s-VIN...685415?hash=item41bf8edde7:g:uCMAAOSwXYtYvsby
    I had read the description carefully and spotted that the seller stated that the dial had been restored. I took this to be an honest restoration as opposed to an underhand con to sell something that wasn't what it seemed, and this restoration appeared to me to be pretty good. Surely a good quality restoration is worth considering - maybe this wasn't good quality?
    Also as I said in the original post I've been trying to find out more information from other resources. I spoke to a local jeweller who sells pre-owned watches, he was really helpful, spent quite some time chatting to me and much of what he said chimes with your advice. He reckoned that if I'd asked him a few years ago, he could have made a few calls and got me the watch I am after in the sort of quality he'd be prepared to sell in no time but that now these are getting harder to find in the right quality. Most examples, he told me (as you have also said) would require a service for which he quoted £250 to £300 depending on condition.
    Aside from ebay, which I must admit scares me a bit for purchases of this nature, I've been looking at the websites of dealers in pre-owned watches, the attraction being that there is often a warranty of some description and a fall back if the purchase turns out to be a piece of junk. There are a couple of examples of the watch I'm after on the website of Parkers Jewellers of Sheffield here in the UK - I've linked to one below
    https://www.parkersjewellers.co.uk/omega-seamaster-vintage-automatic-p9219.html
    This has the added attraction of being able to call at their premises and try the watch. Do any of you know this dealer, or other good dealers in the UK? this watch is clearly above my budget but I think you are right that it is better to spend £800 on something worthwhile (if this is) than £400 on rubbish. Although the dealer is not claiming that the watches they sell are serviced, they state that they are selected as good quality and checked by their experts before putting them for sale.
    Apologies for the long post and all the questions and I really do appreciate any advice, its important to me to get this right. I had a small inheritance from my Mum who passed away last year, the majority of which will go toward paying off the mortgage (such is life), this will be the small personal thing that I can enjoy every day.
    Thanks again for taking the time, Phil

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 18, 2017

7. RedPhil Mar 18, 2017

Thanks a lot Standy, some really good points. problem is I was after some general advice on using on-line dealers like Parker's not just on the particular watch, also there is a great deal more information on the webpage than I could reproduce in a post but I absolutely take your point and will in future stick to one thing at a time. Here are some photos of the watch in question, I've also added an avatar - a Welsh poppy from my Mum's garden

18567449.jpg 18567449_2.jpg 18567449_4.jpg

8. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 18, 2017

@RedPhil
    Sorry for you loss
    Very nice reason to buy a vintage watch

Parker's do have/have had some nice watches
    Being a retailer no bargains
    ( others can comment on the watch in the link you posted)
    But be aware that unless stated as having had one the watch will still need a proper service
    The watch may not stop / become defective inside 12 months but the warranty won't stop you doing long term damage to the movement

Patience may be the key here?
    Perhaps set some money aside and follow the private sales forum on OF for the right watch to come up

Omega1 and Davidt like this.
  9. tyrantlizardrex Mar 18, 2017

Hey Phil,

So on the 4 you posted first time out.

The first three were rough, the 4th was a redial, there are so many watches in the world, that there's no reason to buy any in these states, you'll just have to spend longer looking.

What the local jeweller was actually telling you, was that a few years back, he could have bought what you want for £200 and sold it to you for £400 - he can't do that now.

Parkers: their prices are high, often the watches look ok, but you can find better examples elsewhere for less.

I'm going to give you some advice that most of us didn't get.

Slow down. Work out 2/3 models you'd like to own. Learn all you can about them (movements, cases, dial and hand variations). Then go looking.

This will save you a lot of time, money, and bad Watch purchases.

Ebay isn't as scary as you may think, you just need to be cautious and well informed.

Good luck!

Chris

10. RedPhil Mar 18, 2017

Thanks Guys, some great advice Chris - I will spend some time finding a couple of models to focus in on - the one in the photos above will certainly be in an early short list. Apart from trawling the interweb for examples of the models in question, using the fascinating database on the Omega website and this wonderful forum, are there any other go to resources that you would recommend.
    I'll continue to post news of my heroic journey to find the right Omega watch for me
    Phil

11. tyrantlizardrex Mar 18, 2017

No problem Phil.

The Omega book - A Journey Through Time is a good resource, but spending £220 on it would wipe out a good chunk of your watch budget!

The WRUW thread here is good inspiration for things to buy... so much tempting goodness.

12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 18, 2017

I bought this for $400 (us) here. So under your budget, with a service over but 5 years of no hassle

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Anything you buy without proof of a service it's going to need it.

Keep your eye on the FS listings here daily. They do pop up.

13. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 18, 2017

I will ad that your budget should include the cost of an immediate service.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  14. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 18, 2017

Searching for the right Omega certainly is courageous.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  15. amcclell Mar 18, 2017

Hi Phil, very good advice from Chris. If you like early sixties Seamasters, take your time as there are lots out there in all conditions and a wide range of prices. This was the golden era of Swiss watches and the 500 series of automatic and 200 series of manual movements are among the best back when Omega made their movements in-house. My first vintage Omega was a gold capped 166.010 with a 562 movement and a rice bead bracelet. The original dial was in good shape with a few freckles. This falls into the value category as gold capped were the most common cases and this 562 is not chronometer grade. I still have this watch an quite like it. I was in to my watch maker a while back and he had one the same age, same case number but in stainless steel with a 561 chronometer movement. It also had the rice bead bracelet. This one wasn't for sale but if it was, it would go for 2-3 times the price of my gold capped model as it is highly collectible. If you are looking for value, the late 60's to early 70's are also very reasonable and Omega had some nice designs in this era.

Figure out what you like - case style, manual, auto, date, no date, centre seconds, sub-seconds, stainless, gold capped and then be patient. in the mean time, find a reliable place for service that is close to you. You will do better on this forum than Ebay, in general, if you are new to the game. I have bought a number of watches from auctions through the internet but it is buyer beware and you need to "buy the seller." Also, take any attestation of service with a grain of salt unless there is an invoice from a legitimate service centre. I've bought watches that owners said were recently serviced and my watchmaker found dry jewels with no evidence of recent service. Good luck! Alan

Foo2rama likes this.
  16. Edward53 Mar 18, 2017

I'm assuming you're in the UK. Here are a few Seamasters and a Geneve that I think are worth looking at. They may not all be exactly what you want but they are about the only decent examples currently on ebay.uk.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282398555936?clk_rvr_id=1185225913896&rmvSB=truePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

This one's closest to what you say you like. No movement shot but you don't usually get those with front loaders. I can't see anything wrong with it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-O...392675?hash=item2122994c63:g:kSIAAOSwTM5YyX3kPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Gold cap Seamaster, some pitting to the caseback but the watch is sound. He says there is some wear to the lugs. It looks ok to me. The movement looks clean but there may be some rotor-case back rub. A service would sort this out. One to consider IMO if it stays low. EDITED TO ADD: Not sure what possessed me to add that one, having looked again at the condition of dial, hands and crown. Not a great example!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302250393646?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I may be wrong but I think this black dial is original. Unfortunately that means it will probably go way above your price, but it looks good inside and out.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371893062286?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

This Geneve isn't what you said you wanted but it's a nice watch, probably in a Dennison 9 ct gold case. Personally I think these are really classy though I appreciate that not everyone likes gold. The seller seems to be a pawnbroker and not a watch messer-abouter so I don't think the lack of a movement pic is sinister.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252809935355?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I was going to recommend this as a really nice clean example of a subsecond, but then I looked at the "Swiss Made" at the foot of the dial and now I don't believe it's original.

I just wouldn't buy from most professional sellers. Usually they overcharge, sell chewed-up junk, or both. There are of course a few exceptions but the best route is patience and study. It's true that sellers on here are pretty reliable but the sort of Seamaster you want doesn't crop up in the Sales section very often, as most forum members are looking for something a bit more advanced. Best of luck.

Edited Mar 19, 2017
    blacktiger likes this.
  17. RedPhil Mar 18, 2017

Thanks everyone, thanks Edward53 for taking the time to help me out and point out some recommendations. Some of them look nice, I'll keep my eyes open. I had a good look on the sale thread on here and you're right all seemed a little higher end than what I'm able to set my sights on. Thanks again, even if I don't end up landing one of these it's given me more insight. Cheers

18. j.allen Mar 18, 2017

I like. A new crystal would do it some justice.

19. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Mar 18, 2017

20. RedPhil Mar 20, 2017

Thanks a lot for all the advice, I'll sign off this thread for now. Expect to see new threads in the next few weeks - I already have a few questions about some models I'm interested in as I've started my research. You've given me a great start and a little confidence, I'm looking forward to the chase. Hopefully one day I may feel bold enough to offer my own advice.
    Cheers for now
    Phil

neilfrancis and oddboy like this.