Forums Latest Members
  1. davidswiss Aug 10, 2015

Omega told me this is from 1967 and I bought it a few years ago when I was just happy to get a straight lugged speedy. The case has been polished and worn over the years, especially the back, but the bezel and dial are, I think, pretty good. It sits on an Omega strap with old (original ?) buckle.
    I'd welcome comments on it just for info. I assume some will not be that good but hope there'll be some positives in there. There are no movement pictures as I don't have the kit to get the back off but I've seen it and it's in reasonably good condition and has been serviced. Apologies in advance for the pictures I have a point and shoot camera which is not the thing for these sort of photos.
    P1030140.JPG P1030142.JPG P1030144.JPG P1030147.JPG P1030150.JPG P1030151.JPG P1030155.JPG P1030157.JPG

2. emilio Aug 10, 2015

Original hands bezel and dial to me..

However dial looks washed..

In some pictures the lugs look almost completely polished away?

3. Optimizer13 Aug 10, 2015

I like the overall looks of it especially the faded bezel. Wish the lume were still there though. I don't care so much with the back since you can still see its the original caseback.

4. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Aug 10, 2015

The lugs look like there are a quarter inch to short?

5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 10, 2015

That is a heavily polished, worked over watch that has its own attraction but is not worth as much as a watch with an unpolished case, original hands, a dial with original lume, a bezel that is a bit less battered.

It has had a hard life, but will give great pleasure, provided it was not traded to a naive buyer who thought it worth a watch in good condition.

Let me put it another way, there are no parts on this watch I would want to buy it for. I dont mean to sound cruel, but this is precisely what I had in mind when I wrote about watches that while having all correct and original parts, each part is so degraded as to be undesirable - as a part.

Like I said, as a watch, it is a usable example, one that can be worn without worry that wearing will reduce its value.

6. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Aug 10, 2015

I'm sure the photos don't do the watch any favours. Enjoy it for what it is, an honest pre-pro speedy, warts and all.

7. davidswiss Aug 10, 2015

Thanks spacefruit. That's pretty much what I expected to read. The photos have foreshortened the lugs, they aren't that bad, but the watch has had a life. It was originally sold in Venezuela and if memory serves I bought it in London. I like it a lot and didn't buy it as an investment.

8. davidswiss Aug 10, 2015

Thanks DTM I will.

9. davidswiss Aug 10, 2015

No it's the camera when I take a closeup.

10. Davidt Aug 10, 2015

Like you say, I'm pretty sure the case is not as bad as it appears in the photos.

It's unfortunate that the dial has lost its lume and character but at least it can be worn without worry.

If I had a dial like this I would seriously consider seeking out someone to relume the hour markers. Obviously due diligence is needed to ensure they don't write off the dial which is still valuable but having seen some of the work that back be done, I think it would hugely improve the overal look.

11. davidswiss Aug 11, 2015

David. I hadn't thought about a relume as the only one I've seen in the metal was very badly done. It's something I'll think about.

12. Which Watch Next Aug 11, 2015

I think the most important thing is that you like it. It has personal value to you, it has had a life, and now it can have one with you. All of these things will still be around after we are long gone. So really, we are just a part of their story. Enjoy it and wear it in good health.