Forums Latest Members
  1. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Oct 17, 2014

I have been lost for a while, work has taken too much time from the more important things in life, but since a couple of weeks "the force is strong with me" again. Being occupied by other things can be a good thing though - I was a little tired of my Omegas: s before, they had lost their luster and I chose other watches when reaching for one in the boxes.
    But now! In another thread here on OF someone wrote about the perfect pair and I started thinking - which ones would I chose as my perfect Omega pair. And realized I could not. I just could not...pick out just two. And started trying with three...and then four. Failure. Or actually success! I suddenly realized I really like them all - again. A real Omega come back.

And I started looking at the whole "Omega Picture" at home.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some that has left:

[​IMG]

Here they are together - one is still with me - why I sold the other one I just do not know...

[​IMG]

This one left me just some time ago:

[​IMG]

Others that I for some (now unknown) reason sold:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Back and front are with me - speedy and seamaster chronograph sold since long:

[​IMG]

Ti sold to brother in law...

[​IMG]

The "Super bleu" - modded by me (and my watchmaker):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hijak, STANDY, MrE and 12 others like this.
  2. Sherbie Oct 17, 2014

Welcome back. Not really sure how you could have been bored with your collection though - its to die for

enjoy!

cheers, Paul

Hijak likes this.
  3. ock2915 Oct 17, 2014

Excellent collection , congratulations:thumbsup:

4. marturx Oct 17, 2014

Painful. I see a few where you beat me to them

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 17, 2014

I have tell you, you were missed by many around here. :)

6. JM251 Oct 17, 2014

Really beautiful collection and the condition!!! Wow:)

7. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Oct 17, 2014

Wow, is there an icon for head spinning. I get how you can't choose a pair. Wow.

8. johnlawls Oct 17, 2014

oh my goodness...

KCScott likes this.
  9. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Oct 17, 2014

Really interesting that you had an Omega sabbatical. What, do you think, caused them to lose their lustre? And as an importantly, what do you feel was the trigger for them to get their lustre back?

Cheers

Desmond

10. repoman Oct 17, 2014

Is that all you got?

:D

11. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Oct 17, 2014

Amazing collection. Welcome back.

12. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 17, 2014

Welcome back S. Stunning Omega collection. Would like to see your non Omega collection, too!!!!
    We are open minded people in here ;)

13. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Oct 17, 2014

Holly God! that is one astounding collection you got there.....
    Glad you came back....
    Now lets sell all those constellations :whistling:
    Dibs on all deluxe constellations :D

14. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 17, 2014

3 months ago suddenly I also lost my interest in watch collecting in general. No ebay peeking, wear the same watch for more than 2 or 3 weeks, seldom writing in forum, no contact with my WIS friend etc. Thanks God after 1-2 months gradually my watch enjoyment return back again.

Probably many veteran here also have their 'fed up' period of Omega brand or overall watch collecting.
    I remember your fine article titled " Emoting about watch". I quote relevant part:

"Finally, pace yourself. A by-product of a lack of pacing and planning is burn-out. This usually happens when acquisitive impulses overshadow most of the other dimensions of collecting such as fellowship, history and horology, tinkering with old movements, uncovering hitherto unknown facts, and so on. The trouble with giving too much rein to acquisitive impulses is that when you’ve got your hands on as many watches as your disposable income allows there is nowhere to go. Often, in such cases, collectors are beset with an “Is that all there is” feeling where an emptiness sets in after the heady rush of acquisition. Interest wains or is suddenly directed toward another head-long rush into acquiring something completely different. If this describes your behaviour, pause and reflect on ways that you can interrupt such self-destructive patterns."

15. Benji 99 Oct 17, 2014

Just love the super bleu that would go great with my modded 2254 with non ac dial and po second hand

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 17, 2014

Great set of watches, great set of pics mate!

17. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Oct 17, 2014

Well, it's good to see that you had a complete recovery :)

18. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 17, 2014

A panda Speedy Pro offer from my friend and a Watchco SM300 parts for project are certainly a big help :).

19. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Oct 18, 2014

First of all - thank you all for your kind comments.​

I do not seem to get the quote function to work - so I try some copy/paste instead.​

[​IMG]
    mondodec said
    Really interesting that you had an Omega sabbatical. What, do you think, caused them to lose their lustre? And as an importantly, what do you feel was the trigger for them to get their lustre back?

Cheers
    ----------------------------------------------------​

Desmond said
    3 months ago suddenly I also lost my interest in watch collecting in general. No ebay peeking, wear the same watch for more than 2 or 3 weeks, seldom writing in forum, no contact with my WIS friend etc. Thanks God after 1-2 months gradually my watch enjoyment return back again.

Probably many veteran here also have their 'fed up' period of Omega brand or overall watch collecting.
    I remember your fine article titled " Emoting about watch". I quote relevant part:
    (Desmond quoting mondodec)​
    "Finally, pace yourself. A by-product of a lack of pacing and planning is burn-out. This usually happens when acquisitive impulses overshadow most of the other dimensions of collecting such as fellowship, history and horology, tinkering with old movements, uncovering hitherto unknown facts, and so on. The trouble with giving too much rein to acquisitive impulses is that when you’ve got your hands on as many watches as your disposable income allows there is nowhere to go. Often, in such cases, collectors are beset with an “Is that all there is” feeling where an emptiness sets in after the heady rush of acquisition. Interest wains or is suddenly directed toward another head-long rush into acquiring something completely different. If this describes your behaviour, pause and reflect on ways that you can interrupt such self-destructive patterns."

----------------------------------------------------​

This time it was a combination of things. As I wrote - other things (work) took up more time than usual but that alone is not the whole story. It is just easier to blame work. It is something that everyone can relate to. But the truth is that I work as much now as during the months I was "lost".​

As many men I overdo things. And as Desmond and mondodec writes there comes periods when you get "fed up" and/or get the feeling of "is that all there is". This is what happended to me. It has happened before and it is going to happen again. I get periods when I question the meaning of things - and I actually think it is a sound reaction. It tells me I have been focusing on the wrong end of the hobby. mondodec hit the nail perfectly in his text above. Hell - I have even written about it myself:​

quoting myself...
    My piece of advice.
    Do not surrender to - what I have named - "grail emptiness". The feeling of meaninglessness and anxiety that can hit you when you have reached one of your goals. The emptiness and sometimes disorientation has its explanation.

Take comfort in the knowledge that collecting is not solely about the possession of things. It is as much, or more and for some, maybe to the full extent - about the quest. The research, the hunt, the journey, meetings, contacts - and the dreaming.

You are not alone in your grail emptiness. I would say we all suffer from it in different ways and forms. I tackle it by finding a new grail to covet and long for. Sometimes I alternate between hobbies to find new inspiration.

I found this some time ago and I think it is well put:
    “The main thing is that I discovered that half the fun of owning a watch is, like the fulfillment of all desires, about the pursuit –shopping around is fun and ownership is the beginning of something, but also the end.” Jack Forster, Contributor, Forbes Magazine"

Very best regards
    JE
    PS - what got me back? Meeting my best WIS friends live over a weekend. Having some crayfish, beer and schnapps. Then concentrate on the interest of watches - not just the buying of them. A reality check was in order - check!

mondodec and STANDY like this.