Forums Latest Members

Colourful Montreal Olympic Chrono-Quartz with unusual lugs

1. w154 Feb 20, 2016

I just signed up here to see if I could get any opinions on this Chrono-Quartz case. All the others I have ever seen have plain silver text, and the conventional style lugs don't match those on the regular Chrono-Quartz. Does anybody have any ideas ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lillatroll Feb 21, 2016

The probable explanations are, It is a one off, made by someone but not Omega. Google is by no means a definitive source but by using a few different search criteria I would expect to find at least one other example of your watch. It could be a rare prototype handed down by someones uncle/granddad/father in law who purchased it many years ago from a mysterious watchmaker. It could have been made especially for timekeepers or dignitaries,working at the Olympics that were not for sale, but even these come up for sale and I would expect to see at least one reference to it somewhere. Look at the back side of the display dial, is it clean and crisp where the words have been applied? if not then it points to the case been done after it watch left the factory. The lugs are also something that you would expect to see on other watches of the same model. You could try to find other brands that have similar cases and see if they match those, although I don t know if they exist. When one off examples pop up here, the usual explanation is that they are not factory original? Do you have any more information about the watch that could help explain its origin?

3. w154 Feb 21, 2016

Hi lillatroll. Firstly thanks for taking the time to write a reply. The case came in a small batch of NOS Omega cases from the mid/late seventies. All the others are completely correct Omega references, and the seller also sold a number of NOS dials and movement parts. Everything was Omega, and there was no duplication of any item which to me reduces the chance of anything being fake. Seller is located close enough to Biel/Bienne that there could be an Omega connection. I will try to ask them.

I am away at the moment until the middle of next week, then I can take some better pictures of the case from all angles, plus give measurements, etc. As the case looks spot-on (excluding the lugs of course), and as the pushers are correct and the dial looks OK from the front, I was optimistic that it is factory original. Maybe we can make a better judgement when I upload better photos to the thread.

Edited Feb 21, 2016
  4. rogart ray it again, Ram. Feb 21, 2016

Looks like it could have the same size as the Montreal watch. If so it should work with a omega 1611 movement. Nice case though. Prototype maybe?

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 21, 2016

Have seen this watch before, have a few stopwatches from over the years as used to collect them ( don't bother much anymore).

I have seen this with movement in a stopwatch collectors pictures, was more than 5 /7 years ago so could not recall. Pretty sure it was a guy that collected only Olympic stop watches and clocks.

6. w154 Feb 21, 2016

That sounds interesting... can I ask if you specifically remember this style case (open lugs + red/yellow text) or just the normal type of Montreal case ?

7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 21, 2016

Coloured text I do remember that's about all.

8. w154 Feb 21, 2016

Thanks for that... I will attack Google again but I didn't have much luck first time round.

9. rogart ray it again, Ram. Feb 21, 2016

That i have seen to. I have some memory of seeing that case before.

10. w154 Feb 21, 2016

Well a long evening of trawling google hasn't turned up anything new, so if anyone can provide a link to a similar case then that would be great !

11. Tom Dick and Harry Feb 22, 2016

Interesting, leave it with me and I will do some digging tomorrow ;)

12. w154 Feb 23, 2016

Great... and of course good luck !

13. lillatroll Feb 25, 2016

Has anyone found out anymore about this case?

14. w154 Feb 25, 2016

Google is normally my friend,but in this case I have spent probably more than 4 hours searching and turned up nothing. I think it needs someone who already has an idea where to look... if I am lucky then maybe "Tom Dick and Harry" can find something. I am still away from the case though, so I will add better photos when I get back. Also there might be some critical clues inside (part number, whether the text colour looks original or a later addition, etc).

As soon as I have something new I will add it to this thread.

15. w154 Feb 26, 2016

So here are some extra photos... seems very interesting !

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    ConElPueblo likes this.
  16. lillatroll Feb 26, 2016

I suppose the next step is to compare the display glass with a regular one to see if there are any differences. I don t know what the original version looks like on the inside, but I am sure seeing one would give some more clues about your case, even comparing how the paint has been applied would go some way to solving this puzzle.

17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 26, 2016

I can clearly see how the color was applied to the watch and my money is that originally the face/dial was normal with no color. That still does not explain the lugs or who did it.

How it was done. The original dial was made by putting the black down, then the white was placed over it. This is supported by looking at pictures of the oem case I found on the Internet. To me it looks like someone then carefully sanded the white off and not the black layer underneath and then applied color.

The more I look at the lugs I think they are the original case that has been cut/ milled then drilled to accept spring bars. My assumption is that the original band was broken or someone wanted to put it on something other then the original metal bracelet with its somewhat idiosyncratic mounting.

Original case for reference
    [​IMG]

18. lillatroll Feb 26, 2016

The colour paint being applied after it left the factory is what I suspected all along, but you never know. The difference in application on the case along with the dial appearing to be rubbed off in some places strongly suggests it has been done after it left the factory, If it had been done in the factory then surely it would have the exact same finish as the original shown by Foo2rama. I have no idea about the lugs, but it seems like a lot of work just to change a strap, but it might have been cheaper than buying a new bracelet or it could be that the lugs were damaged and this was the owners solution.

19. w154 Feb 26, 2016

Thanks for the help with the detective work ! I think in principle I agree with what has been said, but there are still some slightly strange aspects/points.

a) the black backing on the example OEM version covers the entire area of the digital section. On my case it doesn't, for example on the bridge between the two small windows you can see black then a thinner strip which is silver. The black sections are square edged and cleanly cut, and can't have been sanded down to that. It is quite different. No idea if that indicates anything !

b) the overall condition is really quite good, so hard to imagine that serious damage was the reason why mods were made. In particular the crystal is in great condition. Also it was bought with some other NOS parts from a contemporary period.

c) I have no idea why the lugs have those strange welded section on the backside. I am trying to figure out if perhaps the original case didn't have enough material to make the lugs from ? I have attached a measurement picture. Does anyone have an Albatros where they could check the exact size ? Might also be interesting to check the width across the lugs on one side. The lug spacing on mine is 25mm. Would 25mm straps be available in the late seventies ?

image.jpg
  20. lillatroll Feb 26, 2016

It is hard to be 100% sure without having another one that is coloured to compare it with. You could drop a mail to Omega to see if they can help or post on another forum to see if anyone there might know something. If anyone on here will be able to help it will be Tom Dick.