Forums Latest Members
  1. M'Bob Apr 23, 2015

If we can get them, most of us prefer minty examples with original parts.of the watches we covet. But, we hesitate to wear them with any degree of frequency, for fear of the inevitable ding or scratch.

But what if you really like the reference, and want to wear it? Obviously, buy two - one for show, and one for go. My issue is, the beater always bothers me when I look at it, and the really nice example bothers me that I'll compromise it.

So how do you guys negotiate this? Exclusive of psychotherapy?

M'Bob

2. lwong Apr 23, 2015

I'm not part of your "we" then. I wear all my watches with regularity, regardless of whether they're minty or not. I would never buy a NOS/mint watch and install it as a museum piece in my home. (But then, I'm not loaded.)

m84, dougiedude, Tjmmartin and 3 others like this.
  3. Northernman Lemaniac Apr 23, 2015

Sold my (few) NOS watches when this dawned on me some years back. Now I wear all my watches!
    I am actually drawn towards the "gently used" but not perfect minty examples for these reasons.
    IMO NOS/perfect watches are for Museums, and I am not running one. ;)

Tjmmartin, Davidt, Darlinboy and 3 others like this.
  4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 23, 2015

Too expensive, I just get a third watch, one for go nice.

dantaspaulo and Northernman like this.
  5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 23, 2015

@M'Bob you just need more watches. That way you can wear them all on rotation and not wear any of them too frequently.

6. speedyfan Apr 23, 2015

I feel your pain M'Bob. I am in the same boat. Most of the vintage watches I have are nice enough that you don't want to ding up. I also agree with Iwong in that I do try to wear all the watches in my collection. For me I wear the the really nice ones only when I know I am not going to put them in a position to trash them like Beach BBQ's, surfing, diving, bar hopping etc. For those times I will wear a new watch like the SM300 Co-Axial.

In this thread; https://omegaforums.net/threads/changing-hands-57-re-edition-to-2998-style-alphas.24332/ I built a daily wearing watch that sort of captures the best of both worlds. It looks very similar the original but I have no fear of trashing it completely, it looks like an original, it functions like a modern and the bonus is it glows in the dark for when you actually need to use it. I in no way try to pretend it's a vintage and thats the point, it is a watch you can wear everyday that is functional and is aesthetically pleasing like the originals.

Tritium and M'Bob like this.
  7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 23, 2015

I'm with lwong, I buy to wear. None of mine are minty perfect, so, what the hell. I bought them because they're watches and are meant to be worn to be enjoyed. I sometimes buy a second as a spare, but those are usually lesser value, worse condition and don't get worn a lot.

Tjmmartin, imexian and M'Bob like this.
  8. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 23, 2015

I like my watches in good condition to wear, and if that means service parts on a vintage piece, I'm good with that.

Tom

9. lando Apr 23, 2015

I tend to wear the ones in worse cosmetic condition more often. I feel more comfortable with them, as an additional scratch does not bother me, then.

And yes, I tend to pick up scratches, I do not know when and where (no, i am not drinking or doing drugs).

M'Bob likes this.
  10. TexasKevin Apr 23, 2015

I wear all of mine, I feel like they were meant to be worn, that is their purpose. That being said the ones with scratches I do feel more attached to because when I see the scratch, I know that is my watch, it's just a little different than any other.

11. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Apr 23, 2015

If you believe in animism, you are denying a watch, NOS/mint or not, its raison d'etre by not wearing it.

M'Bob likes this.
  12. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 23, 2015

Couldn't agree more. If you hang out in this forum long enough, it is almost inevitable :D, like our friend here:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/omg...ines-indulgence-plus.24274/page-4#post-269111

For me, I divide my collection into 4 categories:
    1. Safe queen watch: Almost never worn. Maximum probably only once or twice a year to wedding ceremony or special meeting where I absolutely could protect the watch. The satisfaction comes from holding, perusing, cleaning and taking pictures rather than wearing it.
    2. Special occasion watch: The watch is special enough to get in rotation when I feel in the mood to appreciate beautiful or handsome watch.
    3. Daily wearer: Watch that accompany me most of the time....in work and normal daily activities. Usually modern watches.
    4. Beater: This is the watch that will go gardening, cleaning garage, swimming, diving, or entering a brawl. Battery inside is fine.

I should sell watches that are not fall into those categories.

M'Bob likes this.
  13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 23, 2015

I wear nearly all of mine, the ones I don't aren't left in the vault due to wanting to keep them safe, but rather because they've got rubbish date setting mechanisms or other inconveniences that make them difficult to alternate.

The man who invented quickset was clearly a collector. That's something you don't learn until you've got a few, then when you've got more than a few you realise just how wonderful non-date watches are for their absolute convenience.

Also you learn that hand-wound watches aren't any less convenient than automatics as when you rotate them, all watches get hand wound 100% of the time, automatic or otherwise.

14. John R Smith Apr 23, 2015

H, this is an entirely new and hitherto unsuspected aspect of your character . . . ;) I hope that Mrs H doesn't get to read this!

15. lillatroll Apr 23, 2015

I wouldn't buy a watch I wouldn't wear, but all of the watches that I want, apart from one, can be bought for a around 2000 quid so not really breaking the bank. Even the seamaster bullhead I am saving up for is going to be worn regularly other wise I can't see the point.

16. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 23, 2015

OK that last one....we'll keep only in here :p. BTW that was my younger years where I still training in dojos.

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 23, 2015

Hi Bob,

Before I got the Red Sub, I really thought I would never own a watch that I was afraid to wear. When I got that watch and serviced it, I was aware how nice it was, but I still wore it for the first few weeks. However when I saw the first small mark on one lug that I had put there, that got me thinking....it now spends most of it's time in the safe, although I did wear it a bit after I had the heart attack because I was basically just sitting in front of the TV most of the day...

It's a tough one for sure, and I don't have a good answer, other than buying something else that fills the void of that particular watch, and wearing it. For example I have a Tudor Sub (military issued one) and I have been wearing it for the last few weeks. It's special enough to be nice to wear, but it's not something I'm afraid to ding up a bit in the process.

You could always buy 2 mint examples - one to wear and one to keep...

Cheers, Al

M'Bob and TexasKevin like this.
  18. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 23, 2015

I'm worried about scratching/dinging every new watch I buy... Until I do it. Once I see a mark on it I kinda lean the other direction of not quite caring "so much". I still take preventive measures like wrist guards and bubble wrap while driving (kidding), but once I accept its not mint anymore I seem to enjoy it even more. It's getting over the NEW hump that's the hardest for me.

nlogax and TexasKevin like this.
  19. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Apr 23, 2015

Sounds like we all struggle with this....

I have some that I would consider "beaters" for lack of a better term and I wear those when I do not want to worry about scratching or dinging my watch. In this case my POXL and 2254 fit this category, as well as the 166.091 that is in the shop waiting for a dial swap.

Ones that I want to semi protect, like the Gemini4, that is worn every 6-8 weeks. I look forward to wearing that watch and is still almost in mint condition.

I can't imagine owning a watch and not wearing it, but certainly I can appreciate being extremely cautious and not wanting to scratch a mint condition watch. So I totally get when the other enablers say they are afraid to wear a watch.

My Skyfall was mint when I bought it and now it looks fairly beat up. It is hard to get over each scratch. But then I think I will be servicing it in 5-6 years and it will come back looking like new :).

20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 23, 2015

Spot on @Northernman
    Came to this conclusion a few months ago still have a few minty ones that i treasure, but only the other night i picked a few wear watches over mint examples

Northernman likes this.