Forums Latest Members
  1. DIV May 31, 2016

If there isn't already some type of watch category check list for collector's, I'd like to start one here. In other words it a loose guide, suggesting watch-type categories, for those who want variety.
    I'll start one here and since I'm biased towards Omega and Rolex, my list will be based on mostly their models as "categories"...
    Feel free to cut and post and evolve my list as we move forward.

1) Diver watch: ie. Submariner or Seamaster
    2) Chronorgraph watch: ie. Daytona or Speedmaster
    3) Sport/Dress watch: ie. Globemaster, Constellation, Datejust, Date, Day-Date ("President"), Aqua-Terra, Longines Conquest etc.
    4) Formal/Dress: watch: ie. Cellini, PP Calatrava etc.
    5) GMT Watch: Explorer II, GMT Master, Seamaster GMT etc.
    6) Heavy Duty/Super Dive watch: Sea-Dweller, Planet Ocean etc.
    7) No-date "3-6-9-12" Sport watch (I need a better name for this category!): Explorer I, Railmaster etc.
    8) Scientist/anti-magnetic watch: Milgauss, Railmaster<vintage>
    9) Perpetual Calendar: JLC, Patek, etc.
    10) Japanese Digital watch: Casio, G-Shock, Seiko etc.

OK, that's a good start. Let's evolve this list!

Edited May 31, 2016
    OMGRLX likes this.
  2. alam May 31, 2016

Perpetual Calendar?

3. DIV May 31, 2016

ah very good...I'll add it to the list. What are some models I can use as examples?

4. alam May 31, 2016

5. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass May 31, 2016

And a good vintage Japanese watch just to show that you don't like the smell of your own farts.

aap, Mad Dog, Foo2rama and 1 other person like this.
  6. alfanator May 31, 2016

Seikos. Must have some vintage seikos.

JLC makes an exceptional perpetual calendar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. DIV May 31, 2016

I like those, but I wanted to keep the list brand-free....otherwise you can say, "every collection needs at least one sport Rolex", or "one vintage Omega"....etc. How about saying "Japanese sport watch", and "digital watch (instead of Casio etc.)"???

8. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia May 31, 2016

Patek is known for their perpetual calendar watches. Annual calendars as well.

MikiJ likes this.
  9. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer May 31, 2016

I think I would add Beater watch as a category. If I am out in the yard working around the house, I am not going to wear any of the ones listed. But I also see "Beater" does not really fit the categories you defined.

I could also argue that you need vintage diver, and modern diver. As well as vintage chrono and modern chrono. I guess the vintage and modern would carry across the board. I never truly appreciated the vintage and modern watches of the same model until I owned each of them. At this point in time, I can't imagine not owning both the vintage and modern Ploprofs. Same with the Ed White and Gemini4. I simply could not do with one or the other.

I know this really extends the list, but the reality is the categories need to be split to accommodate both modern and vintage.

STANDY and SpikiSpikester like this.
  10. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer May 31, 2016

A limited edition (real limited - not Omega "limited")

11. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices May 31, 2016

Patek all the way!

12. ulackfocus May 31, 2016

Personally, I'd have to devolve a few off the original checklist first before continuing. :D

13. Traveler May 31, 2016

+ Military issued

UncleBuck and Mad Dog like this.
  14. Jking something intelligent and witty... May 31, 2016

I know I'm very new at this but just to confirm my very new (and limited) knowledge but isn't it true that all omega master co-ax watches are anti-magnetic? Am I wrong about my understanding of this or are you speaking more from a marketing sense? BTW, this list is great for a newbie like me...really helped me get an idea of what I need to build a well-rounded collection. Thanks!

15. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer May 31, 2016

Welcome to the message board.

Generally speaking, I think most normal people might conclude a well-rounded collection consist of a dress, diver and chrono.

We here are flat out crazy and that list of 10 will easily expand to 25 different categories, with several watches in each for most all of us here. It just happens. You are warned.

jsaen and OMGRLX like this.
  16. ICONO May 31, 2016

Pilots watch - IWC Fliegerchronograph ?

Mad Dog likes this.
  17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 31, 2016

Laser cutting watch.

oddboy, jsaen and Mad Dog like this.
  18. Jking something intelligent and witty... May 31, 2016

Well I've never been accused of being normal so it seems I'll fit right in! Before the kids came I spent a fair amount of time fishing, hunting and playing golf....things that take money AND time. I've always loved having a "nice" watch but until recently that meant Tag or Rolex to me and with 3 boys Rolex was outside of my price range...of course until recently getting a new watch meant new in the literal sense. I had no idea that such a thing as a secondary luxury watch market existed. So after weeks of research I dove in and I'm purchasing my first omega this week. A 2009 39mm Seamaster co-ax AT (2500c) with the blue starburst dial. As it will be my first (of many to be sure) I wanted to start with something cross functional and build from there. My wife has noticed me on this forum every night this week and told me last night quote "I've seen that look before and every time it gets expensive!" I just let that one hang...ill tell her how expensive later when I'm done!!

19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 31, 2016

Done, what is this word, done? Is that English? Perhaps some Cajun colloquialism ::confused2::

Nitzbar and Mad Dog like this.
  20. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer May 31, 2016

Detract her with other hobbies. I see by your avatar your into scouting. Start by buying all the gear you need for Philmont. She will quickly forget about your watches. :)

Nitzbar, Mad Dog and Jking like this.