Forums Latest Members

Collector's buying advice needed

1. tapaptpat Jul 30, 2016

Hi everyone.

I seek the collectives advise on a topic close to us all.

The situation is partially based on fact. I am trying to decide if I'm to

Do nothing... Let It's pass
    Engage with no intention of buying
    Flat out educate the seller

So I have found a piece that got away last year (truth)
    The price is fictitious let's say it's 1000 dollars,euros,pounds it's doest really matter.

So, many examples can found and the Base line is a 1000 plus or minus from seller to seller.

My problem is that the condition of the piece doesn't vary from the norm but to me the one I bond with is nearly 2500. As we are so far apart price wise even with hagling / working a deal out. Will leave me paying twice the market price at the best of times. Considering many of the other pieces have been sitting on the respective seller shelves for over 6 month.

Think to myself what would the hero would do. Well @ulackfocus would pay with squirrels @Maddog would deploy a p3 orion and simply say radar doesn't lie you are anomaly.. Destroy anomaly. Just me trying to look on the brighter side life.. de dum de dum

All suggestion welcome
    Cheers
    Pat

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Edited Jul 30, 2016
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 30, 2016

I would talk to the sellar say you really like his and then show the comparables at the lower price. Offer on the high side of average.

The sellar might be educated and might not want to actually sell.

tapaptpat likes this.
  3. tapaptpat Jul 30, 2016

Thanks for the suggestions, a bit of option 2 and 3.
    I am going to to do some timetraveling to see if the prices have had a hike in the last 12 months. Just goto fix my computer first. Tapatalk is great but need a real monitor and keyboard to do some proper evidence collection prior to making a case.

The thing that irks me is this is an established online store. So pricing not to sell seems odd. Ill see if any of their other pieces are price hiked to.

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 30, 2016

Online store = Dealer ?

Strange for a dealer to want double the going rate.:whistling:

tapaptpat likes this.
  5. tapaptpat Jul 30, 2016

Yes, a shop with online presence. Unlike some of the chro48 that I normally view as inflated dealer rate. I've include these. Also included in baseline is. the most recent auction house sale not fleabay. So from this the actual value of theoretical value is 500-750ish and the dealer in question is going for 4 to 5 times market value. Now I don't have a problem with that its sellers prerogative to get the max from any given sale. The problem i have is that I feel I can't justify paying anything close to seller price expectation. So it will sit on his shelf until a fool or the market catches on.

6. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jul 30, 2016

Move on. ... other mothers have pretty daughters too.

Every time I walked away from a deal, I found a better one and was happy to have $ at hand...
    ;)

tapaptpat likes this.
  7. Bumper Jul 30, 2016

Keep looking, there is always another watch that comes by. Buying from this guy will only make him think that he is never wrong...

tapaptpat likes this.
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 30, 2016

We are talking about a Speedmaster :whistling:

tapaptpat likes this.
  9. tapaptpat Jul 30, 2016

Ok so I'm feeling getting two move on vote . And one undecided from standy soz about the rant.

Tuff to let a second pass by without an attempt. The one that got away at least I was in the fight just didn't win. That I can live with. Currently I'm still felling foo2rama suggestion

10. tapaptpat Jul 30, 2016

I might as well be pursuing a speedmaster. If you like, not even a Lemania.

11. ulackfocus Jul 30, 2016

There's always another watch.

Found an AP automatic with the caliber I was looking for on eBay. Contacted the seller because their price was very high, especially considering the dial was refinished. Long story short, that seller was obnoxious so I simply stopped communicating with them. A few days later another AP popped up with an original dial for less so I contacted that seller, made an offer, and purchased his watch. Man, did I want to send that first seller a message and tell him I gave my several thousand dollars to somebody else instead of him, and even ended up with a better specimen for a few hundred less.

ahartfie and tapaptpat like this.
  12. Thomas P. The P is for Palladium and Platinum Jul 30, 2016

I've always liked the saying "There is a better deal yesterday and an even better one tomorrow."

tapaptpat likes this.
  13. tapaptpat Jul 31, 2016

Thanks to everyone of far chiming in and giving their point view. Especially good stories, and good mantras.

I have no problem passing usually. Just it's a bit rare. You guys mentioned Omega so let's call it something pre professional embossed logo etc. Proper drowle watch. Or in my world a Lemania let's say Viggen.

Pat