Forums Latest Members
  1. nima0071 Jun 19, 2014

Hey guys, currently I own a watch box that holds ten watches, I currently own eight watches leaving two spaces unoccupied. My question is what is your opinion in regards to completing my collection. what should my next two pieces be to conclude my collection for this box? Also I was also contemplating on downsizing my collection to about five key pieces, and if so what 5 pieces should those be? Im not into gold, I'm an ss guy. Posted below is a photo of my current collection. and my recently back from service SMP300 IMG_4745-1.JPG IMG_5051.JPG

bvertz likes this.
  2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 19, 2014

Speedy Pro - Daytona, represent racing chronograph
    AT antimag - Milgauss, represent anti magnetic watch
    Submariner Hulk (green), diver and you need a drop of color in your life

larryganz likes this.
  3. Superdoc Jun 19, 2014

Collection seems to be begging for some orange...

4. ctime3 Jun 19, 2014

I agree with the above comments. The new pieces are very uniquE that omega is releasing. But if orange is the calling the PO orange bezel is nice. i do like the deville's tresor.

5. NT931 Jun 19, 2014

Besides colour (and I agree a splash of orange / red might help) have you considered:
    a. getting a vintage dress watch on a strap (eg. pie-pan Connie, Longines) to break the monotony of steel bracelets
    b. or a modern dress watch
    c. perhaps other complications besides what you already have - eg. power reserve, moonphase, annual calendar?

I was thinking a Nomos Metro Gangereserve.. I love the colours on it, and it's a lovely 37mm, with a cordovan strap (pic from Nomos website). It simultaneously looks old-school and modern, and is delightfully slim at 7.7mm.
    [​IMG]
    I know you were asking for which ones to trim from your collection, but all of us are being 'unhelpful' and in fact trying to convince you to buy 2 more :whistling:
    And after that you'll need to buy a new box for the next 10 ;)

rhetoric and larryganz like this.
  6. SeanO Jun 20, 2014

keep the Milgauss and the Daytona/Speedy everything else goes for a JLC of some description (white gold) and/or a nice Breguet (white gold/platinum) for a more formal look.

7. larryganz The cable guy Jun 20, 2014

Yep, that's a good pick and reasoning for which ones to keep while narrowing it down to 5. But 10 is better.

But I'd hate to see him give up the Explorer II, because while green is a nice splash of color so is the white. So, he needs 6 watches. But then why give up the blue watch and not white or green, so he must keep 7 of them. The GMT master II is now a little redundant if he keeps the Explorer II, and it's too similar to the Sub but without the extra water resistance of the sub; but it's nice to have a rotating 24 hour bezel on the GMT which the Exp II is missing. So, now he's keeping all 8, or only giving up the GMT Master II.

What's missing is a JLC Reverso dress watch, and a Seiko dive watch for beating up while working around the house. The GMT Master II can pay for that. It won't pay for the Patek Calatrava...

8. billyblue Jun 20, 2014

Hi,

first of all you have have a very nice collection, good taste on every one of them.

First to address the downscaling:

As you say you are not a fan of any gold (me neither), so I think you should stay with 10 pieces. All of the ss watches that come to mind would be either PP, VC or AP. I would rather own 3 Rolex watches for any ss entry level PP as you have the same quality with more variety.

For the last two slots:

An AP RO dresser (maybe the ultra thin) would suit your collection and as others already said, the collection needs a dressy piece. Looking at your collection and your profile pic, I think you should stay away from JLC, Breguet ... for at least some years. At least I am saving this stuff for later years (Reverso after I am at least in the 50s). Now we need a sporty dresser, this is exactly what the AP is.

Also a Planet Ocean would perfectly replace one of the subs.

As the last watch I would pick something like a Grand Seiko which brings a exotic variety into the mix and also says that you not only am the one buying watches for their name/reputation (Rolex, ...) but are a real afficionado.

Just my 2c.

nima0071 and STANDY like this.
  9. nima0071 Jun 20, 2014

thank you for the comment, you got me thinking now AP Royal oak 15400. white or black?

10. Varasc Jun 20, 2014

Dear Nima, you received here various eminent suggestions. But I'd also add, being very interested in Omega and history, a 321 Speedmaster Professional. Maybe a particular piece, with a history you may be interested in - I don't know, a famous driver, a former pilot, whatever may be close to your current hobby or personality.
    You know, it's easy to go and buy a brand new, expensive watch. But to find a vintage one, with a particular story, would require time and patience. I would recommend you this. If being you, I'd go for a ref. 145.012.

epl108 likes this.
  11. NT931 Jun 20, 2014

Blue 15400, perhaps? I recognize that you have a blue SMP300, but the RO blue is a different and more subtle shade.

The RO is a sporty dress watch as billyblue said, and what is often not mentioned is that the ROs are thin (<10mm) and slip under a cuff easily. Try one first though - they wear large on the wrist.

Or as has been mentioned before, a vintage SS watch would be pretty nice. Beyond Omega & Rolex, the WRUW thread has beautiful examples of vintage Longines, Zeniths & UGs. If you dislike leather straps, a Zenith EP on a GF bracelet would be killer!

12. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Jun 20, 2014

Looking at your current collection it is lacking a couple of things. It needs a splash more of colour and something truly vintage. I prescribe an orange planet ocean and a sixties seamaster 300.

13. epl108 Jun 20, 2014

Unfortunately I do not yet own a Patek, but I can't imagine anyone here who does would agree that it's the same quality as a Rolex. Even a "ss entry level PP", would be considered a tremendous step up from any of these Rolexes in question. If a PP is a possibility, I can't imagine not giving it serious consideration, if not selecting it immediately.

Nima,
    That is a great collection you have so far! For slots 9 and 10 I'm going to agree with a majority of posters so far and say something on leather would be great. Ever since trying it on, the Hour Vision has been a favorite of mine. It's a fair bit dressier than what you have so far, but should suit you well based on it's size and style. Lastly, I'd go for something vintage - either the an old Speedie (maybe an Ed White, or a 145.012) or something dressier like a Pie Pan Constellation.

Whatever you end up choosing, make sure to share some pics with us!

14. randomguy Jun 20, 2014

All fabulous. I too have enjoyed your first 5 in that line up, and I am closing in on a Speedy (Chocolate Sandwich). I agree that a nice Orange bezel PO would be a great addition or maybe the blue PO Ti (which I miss everyday since I let it go).

The other option is a nice vintage piece, which I have begun to turn my attentions to (vintage OMEGA Mark II, vintage Breitling Navitimer)?

As for letting one go, that's a tough call and I'll leave that one alone.

Anyway, great collection, and I look forward to your next few moves.

Joe G.
    Canada

15. billyblue Jun 21, 2014

I would opt for the blue dial (if the date wheel was blue, which I am not 100% sure right now). Otherwise white or black doesn't matter, but white would give your collection more balance.