Forums Latest Members

Collection Direction Deliberation

1. waking-crickets Feb 4, 2018

How many of you with focused collections have had an itch to branch out? I've been collecting (for the most part) mechanical alarm watches for the past few years, but lately have had an itch to branch out.

So here's my dilemma. I've noticed that an alarm watch I've been chasing for a few years has started popping up with some more frequency than usual and am tempted to snag one while I can.

On the other hand, I'm also really interested in extending my collection out in different ways either by building sub-collections around brands that are already part of my collection (e.g., a JLC Powermatic - Futurematic - Memovox collection) or just stuff that's caught my eye of late (Rolex Turn-o-graph, two-tone, jubilee bracelet, blue dial).

I'd be curious to hear how others have answered this question in the past.

Best!

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  2. Canuck Feb 4, 2018

IMO, you think too much about what to collect! If I like it, I buy it!

lando, Mods, ClarendonVintage and 3 others like this.
  3. waking-crickets Feb 4, 2018

Normally I would agree! But I am trying really hard not to let shiny things distract me from grails. Plus, I think I get more satisfaction out of my collection as a whole than any single piece.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  4. 77deluxe Feb 4, 2018

Part of collecting is figuring out what you like. Tastes change as you gain more knowledge. I say diversify. You can always flip.

5. SeanO Feb 5, 2018

Complete the collection.

If you decide to alter the focus then the existing collection itself can be liquidated to start your new one.

Or not.

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 5, 2018

As my tag under my avatar suggests I have more branches than a tree.

Be a tree and branch out, but always keep your roots.

One of the fun watches I have bought in the last 5 years is this
    A Italian designed titanium PVD with a solar compass, antimagnetic, 100m waterproof ( Doesn't match anything else in my collection)
    image.jpeg
    Website photo below.
    image.jpeg

I collect 3 hand vintage watches but still enjoy every time I put this on because it's different and it's something out of left field that I like.

Spruce and Longbow like this.
  7. Vitezi Feb 5, 2018

There are some interesting thoughts along the same lines as your query, in this thread (you might appreciate @Tony C. 's thoughtful response). I prefer a highly curated collection built around a theme, because to me that's what defines a collection versus an accumulation (as @Larry S points out).

Since a curated collection seems to be what interests you I'd encourage you to pick a new direction to build a collection around. Perhaps that's your JLC idea, or perhaps that's 'complicated watches' into which you could include your alarm watches. I think you'll get more satisfaction out of that approach rather than scattershot purchases.

8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 5, 2018

So I own new watches from JLC(2), Rolex(1), MB(1), Victorinox(1) and RGM(2)...These are mostly pre-vintage acquisitions although both RGM are vintage homage models and the others are all classic designs.

Vintage:
    Pimary: Interesting old dress and sport chronographs
    Primary Brands: Longines, Omega, Rolex, UG
    Secondary Brands: Angelus, Gallet, Wakman, Seiko, Bulova etc.
    Secondary: Non chronographs with character (E.G. Rolex Sport Models, Pie Pan, Military types)

Constraints: Not interested in chasing everyone's grails (eg the hot watches )

dodo44 and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  9. amphib44 Feb 5, 2018

I have limited my collection to black-dialed tool watches. Oddly specific...

10. ClarendonVintage Feb 5, 2018

Not immediately helpful but just wanna say, that is an impressive JLC collection. Been on my mind for a while.

11. waking-crickets Feb 5, 2018

Ha, well, it's only an E855 Memovox and the Sector Dial Master Control Date at the moment. But, well, Powermatics and Futurematics are definitely on the short list for next additions.

12. waking-crickets Feb 5, 2018

Thanks for the link to that thread. I'm definitely trying hard to keep a fairly tight collection. There's just so many shiny things in the world, though!

I think I'm leaning toward either getting a piece that fits into the alarm complication theme or building on a sub-theme. Here and there, I've been adding related watches. For example, I added a King Seiko 45 to go alongside my Bell-matic.

CdnWatchDoc and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  13. Vitezi Feb 6, 2018

ConElPueblo likes this.
  14. apm1 Feb 6, 2018

Buy what you like, don’t be focussed too much in how a certain piece could fit into your collection.

I am interested in vintage chronographs and diver watches.

But if one day I will fall in love for a thin dress watch I will buy it without thinking twice.

15. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Feb 6, 2018

Now, I started with thin dress watches that I could wear to work and moved onto chunky divers for weekends and holidays.

apm1 likes this.
  16. river rat Feb 9, 2018

We switch up what we collect with age. 20 or more years ago my focus was on pocket watches different types of key winds then railroads pocket watches and a few clocks. Now mainly vintage chronographs and vintage dive watches and anything military issued that tells time I stick with the military stuff more today but slowing down due to the price hike with the type of I like.

Spruce and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  17. tyrantlizardrex Feb 9, 2018

Did you find you switched out completely on the stuff you used to collect @river rat, or hung on to a few things that you really liked, and then added other stuff on top?

18. river rat Feb 9, 2018

Ya I hung onto most of it I still got a lot of pocket watches some are sentimental friends actually gave me a few that are worth some thing and my Grandfathers pocket watch and a few in original wooden boxes are keepers and one Waltham 23 jewel wind up indicator that's a keeper but there some I mite let go mite have to do a drive back to Calif. to NAWCC chapter 5 mart and sell a few off getting older so some of the pocket watches can go. Hard to let stuff go but the stuff you slowed down collecting the easiest stuff to let go if your not using it.