Forums Latest Members
  1. Jhawlz9989 Jun 15, 2018

Good evening everyone,

As I continue to read and research vintage Omega watches, one of my problems is definitely option paralysis. There's so many good watches, and only so much disposable income. I picked up a vintage Tissot Visodate that I really liked courtesy of an OF forum member to help scratch the vintage itch while I plan my strategy. You all were very correct that my wrists are vintage friendly, and not having a watch feels strange at this point. :thumbsup: I'm trying to follow the advice in this thread regarding figuring out the watch I want, and waiting patiently for the right specimen to surface:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/how-best-to-get-into-the-watch-hobby.75261/

I've struggled to nail down a strategy. First thought was to pursue a 168.025 as recommended, but I really also would like to pick up a Seamaster with the 564 movement and BOR, preferably the 168.024, and it doesn't make sense to duplicate movements right off the bat. Then I took a liking to the lyre-shaped lugs and bezel for the Constellations that carried the 551 caliber, especially the 14381.

Obviously collecting is a long-term exercise that takes years and it is unrealistic to have these first two in the rotation within the next month (or even year), but it made me wonder, what were some collecting strategies that you all followed that worked well? Do you target having each caliber for a particular model you're fond of? Do you target variations within the same reference (case metals, dials, hands)? Equally as helpful for someone new to the hobby, what were some strategies you pursued that had short-term excitement but didn't result in any long-term enjoyment?

Thanks in advance for all the help and wisdom (again)!

Josh

Vitezi and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  2. ulackfocus Jun 15, 2018

Strategy? Buy'em all, try'em on, and sell the ones you don't like.

....no, I'm not joking. That's pretty much what I did for years.

Seriously - I have lots of witnesses here!

Larry S, Etp095, Seacow and 7 others like this.
  3. ulackfocus Jun 15, 2018

Breathe. One watch at a time - or at least until you have some experience. Then you can do a dozen a month if you wish!

That 168.024 Seamaster (sometimes with "Sparkle" dials, named for their reflective quality) is an EXCELLENT choice. So would their day/date cousins sporting the caliber 75x inside (168.023 or 166.032). These can be found under $1k in great shape, and still hold up well even against modern watches because of the timeless styling. I had one that I would love to replace one day.

Myself, @kyle L, @cicindela, and @MSNWatch have all owned these and would probably be happy to help if/when we have the time.

Yes - don't rush, and wait for a nice specimen. Again, as in your first thread: condition, condition, condition.

Edited Jun 16, 2018
    Jhawlz9989 and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  4. Canuck Jun 15, 2018

Some folks strategy seems to be to build a museum rather than to collect what they like and can afford. I’m of the latter sort. The knowledge of the members of the MB regarding the minutiae of (for example) the evolution of the Speedmaster continues to astonish me. Credit to them. But I must have AADD because I have the attention span of a gnat, and I get lost in all that detail. I collect what I like, so I guess you might say I amass watches rather than collect them

5. Vintagewtchzilla Jun 15, 2018

some easy rules

- buy what u really like (this will surely change over time)
    - do your homework (configurations, quality, market prices)
    - buy only the best quality (longerm best solution)
    - enjoy your watches

6. Screwbacks Jun 15, 2018

suggestion from any of your friends is good but not the rule of thumb. you will end up buying everything based on other's idea, not yours. i was in that situation, but good thing is they were way too cheap then. and later developed an art to appreciate every vintage watch.

to top it all, it's really timing. at this point in time, your first choice whatever it is, may not be available anymore in good condition nor at reasonable price. pursue what you like before you opt for other watches. other than that, if you are not into vintage, there are lots of new watches you can buy anytime.;)

Edited Jun 16, 2018
  7. GuiltyBoomerang Jun 15, 2018

I've slowly come to the realization that the easiest ones to sell also tend to be the ones that are in great condition. Having masses of watches that arent in the best of nicks makes reselling harder unless it is an extremely desirable watch no matter what.

8. frederico Jun 16, 2018

Buy three, sell one. Repeat.

9. Vitezi Jun 16, 2018

10. heavenscloud Jun 16, 2018

What Dennis said. Buy, sell, repeat until you have a collection of watches you like. Buy for yourself and no one else. I will never understand why people ask strangers on the Internet what watch they should buy (e.g., 85% of WUS threads).

11. ulackfocus Jun 16, 2018

If you remove those threads (and their kindred "I have $XXXX, how should I spend it?"), the Brand vs. Brand / Brand Bashing threads, all you'd have left are the "WRUW?" and "INCOMING!" threads in their Public Forum.

..... much like what has happened to the once-great Watch Talk Forums' General Discussion:

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/forum14.html

heavenscloud likes this.
  12. Seacow Jun 16, 2018

Sometimes you have to have a watch in hand in order to find out if you like it or not. I sold many watches due to its ether bigger or smaller than I want it to be. Pictures doesn't always give enough information.

Also, hunting is part of the fun as well.

Jhawlz9989 likes this.
  13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 16, 2018

Foo2rama and Jhawlz9989 like this.
  14. heavenscloud Jun 16, 2018

This site is an oasis in a desert of watch forums.

15. Dan S Jun 16, 2018

WUS has a Public Forum?

16. ulackfocus Jun 16, 2018

Yes, even though it’s more apropos to call it a Pubic Forum given the adolescent level of discourse. It’s akin to our Open Discussion, just restricted to general watch topics.