Forums Latest Members

Coating watch strap removal tool

1. watchos Mar 24, 2019

Hi all, I tend to want to switch my watch straps to bracelet and the other way around more often than it's prabnly normal. One thing that makes me uncomfortable is that no matter how much I try to protect the case, there's always minor scratches. I know, I know, they give te watch a unique personality and history and all that, but still would like to avoid it whenever possible.

I have tried taping the lugs to avoid it but it's too much hassle. Which has to me thinking of other ways of getting similar results via different methods.

One of them has been thinking about Mohs Hardness Scale and potential metals like brass or a plastic or composite to be used for the watch strap removal fork tip. Since it's less likely to scratch stainless steel.

The other option is coating said tip with some other material. Perhaps paint or nail polish. It would have to be reapplied as it gets scratched off but could potentially help prevent scratching. Haven't tried it yet, since I wanted to get other opinions and advices on how to prevent further scratching. Also thought about just melting some plastic or rubber on it, but those are more toxic and not as safe.

What other materials or coatings could work? Is this even sound or just crazy?

superfly likes this.
  2. Donn Chambers Mar 25, 2019

Elmer’s glue. It can protect the whole watch as well. :)

3. watchos Mar 25, 2019

I know you are joking with the watch part, but this glue could actually work!

Now looking at other epoxy type glued as well.

4. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Mar 25, 2019

tiny bit of thick scotch tape on the lug while why push the springbar...

5. vintagemillenial Mar 25, 2019

electrical tape works for me.

Lonestar likes this.
  6. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Mar 25, 2019

7. Jonathan40 Mar 25, 2019

Electrical tape for me also. But why don’t all manufactures have quick release string bars mounted into the strap ends. You can get straps with this feature.

watchos likes this.
  8. Dan S Mar 25, 2019

Keep using these, and someday you will find out why most of us don't like them. ;)

9. Donn Chambers Mar 25, 2019

watchos likes this.
  10. watchos Mar 25, 2019

11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 25, 2019

RawArcher likes this.