Forums Latest Members

clock (not watch) movement replacement

1. Mothra Jun 7, 2014

guys, I could really do with some help here. I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets in this situation... I've been given a carriage clock, non functional and of zero other than sentimental value, and asked to fix it. I need to get the hands off to swap the movement, which is one of those square battery powered things. Minute hand came of quite easily - I've already marked the hour hand, how the hell does it come off before do irreparable damage?
    WP_20140607_21_36_49_Pro.jpg
    Any advice appreciated....

2. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jun 7, 2014

I've only really worked on mechanical clocks, but assume the quartz units are much the same. While the minute hand is usually held on with a nut or tapered pin, the hour hand is usually a simple press fit onto its shaft.

To confirm this is the same on the new stuff, I just went over and ripped the hands off one of those square brick quartz movements (el cheapo office clock)....

Yup, there's a nut on the minute hand and the hour hand is a press fit.... your's should be the same

have fun!

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 7, 2014

Ditto

All of the quartz clock movement I've fitted have press fit hour hands while some have the same for minute hands, but the higher quality "silent" movements use a post and nut.

Put a thick bit of card under the hour hand and use two small screwdrivers to lever the hand off.

(I'm assuming you don't have a clock hand remover).

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 8, 2014

Yes as others have said it's clearly a press fit hand. Before you attack it with screwdrivers or even proper hand removers, do you have a press to put it back on the new movement?

I know this seems like a simple job (and it is) but sometimes having the right tools makes all the difference - maybe take it to a clockmaker in your area that can do the job in a few minutes, assuming you already have the new movement in hand.

And just a question about the replacement movement - did you get the exact same movement that was in the clock, because if you just bought something close, and you didn't know that hand was a press fit, then you need to make sure the posts are the right size for these hands...

Cheers, Al

5. Mothra Jun 8, 2014

Thanks all - Al, the movement is very old, very mechanical and has no distinguishing marks. I got the hands off before you posted (I just needed some reassurance before applying the requisite pressure), so although I have a press I can use I suspect I will do what I usually do - mess around and fail to get anywhere before handing it over to a professional. Its all part of the fun...